Creating a new scope

JD Cole-2
How would one go about creating a new scope? Here's what I'm trying to do:

I would like to evaluate a statement within the current scope, however,
I don't want the evaluation to change any variables outside the
evaluation of the statement.(This sounds like a functional execution.) I
am currently about creating an octave_user_function, and passing the
necessary variables from the current scope into as the input parameter
values. Am I on the right track?

BTW: This is in reference to some parallel capability testing I'm doing.

Thanks,

JD