DPCM

LEo-2
I have implemented the following function:
dpcmenco, dpcmdeco and dpcmopt
They were not implement yet.
(see: http://octave.sourceforge.net/communications/overview.html)
I would like share it, so it might be incorporated into Octave-Forge.
They follow in the attachment. An usage example follows along it.
If someone could include them into Octave-Forge tree, I would be pleased.
Regards,
Leonardo Araujo

dpcm.zip (6K) Download Attachment

Re: DPCM

Carnë Draug-2
On 4 October 2012 18:03, LEo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have implemented the following function:
> dpcmenco, dpcmdeco and dpcmopt
> They were not implement yet.
> (see: http://octave.sourceforge.net/communications/overview.html)
> I would like share it, so it might be incorporated into Octave-Forge.
> They follow in the attachment. An usage example follows along it.
> If someone could include them into Octave-Forge tree, I would be pleased.
> Regards,
> Leonardo Araujo

I have added them and made the following changes:
  * use of @seealso macro for help text (instead of literal text)
  * license to GPLv3+
  * indentaton issues
  * closed function blocks with endfunction
  * replaced usage by print_usage
  * replaced @var{...} by @dots{}

We cannot use your examples since you copied them from matlab
documentation and they might have intellectual property on them...

Could you please submit a patch to add a test or a demo block to these
functions?

Carnë

Re: DPCM

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 4 October 2012 12:49, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We cannot use your examples since you copied them from matlab
> documentation and they might have intellectual property on them...

"Intellectual property" is a vague and confusing term. In this case,
it could be a copyright violation, under some jurisdictions.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: DPCM

Carnë Draug-2
On 5 October 2012 20:03, LEo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Carnë,
>
> A friend sugested me to add some checking for for input variables to
> give an appropriate error message when some crazy dude try to stick a
> string when it was expected a vector, and things like that.
> What do you think? Is it necessary? If so, let me know and I will do it.
> Another suggestion was to add References. Should I? How?
>
> Was the example/demo okay?
>
> Regards,
> LEo

Hi Leonardo

could you please upload them to
https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/feature-requests/40/ and follow this
there? This things get lost very easily on mailing lists.

But one problem is that demos should be made into demo blocks, not a
separate demo script. Are you familiar with them?

Carnë

Re: DPCM

Carnë Draug-2
Always make reply all and include the mailing list. Also, avoid top
posting, we use bottom posting on the mailing list. See

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/B/bottom-post.html
http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html

On 9 October 2012 17:49, LEo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 5 October 2012 20:03, LEo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello Carnë,
>>>
>>> A friend sugested me to add some checking for for input variables to
>>> give an appropriate error message when some crazy dude try to stick a
>>> string when it was expected a vector, and things like that.
>>> What do you think? Is it necessary? If so, let me know and I will do it.
>>> Another suggestion was to add References. Should I? How?
>>>
>>> Was the example/demo okay?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> LEo
>>
>> Hi Leonardo
>>
>> could you please upload them to
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/feature-requests/40/ and follow this
>> there? This things get lost very easily on mailing lists.
>>
>> But one problem is that demos should be made into demo blocks, not a
>> separate demo script. Are you familiar with them?
>>
>> Carnë
>
> Unfortunately I am not familiar with demo blocks.
> Could you point me where can I find further information?

The best should be the manul though I think it could be improved

http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Demonstration-Functions.html#Demonstration-Functions

See other code for examples (by convention, demos are placed at the
end of the function file):

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/default/scripts/plot/plot.m
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/default/scripts/general/interp2.m
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/default/scripts/strings/strtok.m

This functins will have a micture of both demo and test blocks. Test
blocks are also very important as it allows you to find problems
during development much faster.

Carnë