Dashed and dotted lines (in 3.0.2)

Fredrik Lingvall
I'm trying to plot dashed and/or dotted lines in Octave 3.0.2 but it
don't seem to work.

x=randn(100,1);
plot(x,'k--')

should produce a black dashed line but I only can see a solid line (I'm
using the Gnuplot backend).

/Fredrik

Re: Dashed and dotted lines (in 3.0.2)

David Bateman-3
Fredrik Lingvall wrote:

> I'm trying to plot dashed and/or dotted lines in Octave 3.0.2 but it
> don't seem to work.
>
> x=randn(100,1);
> plot(x,'k--')
>
> should produce a black dashed line but I only can see a solid line (I'm
> using the Gnuplot backend).
>
> /Fredrik

Gnuplot doesn't implemented dashed/dotted lines on some terminals..
Notably on the X11 terminal. On those that support it they are visible
(eg eps)

D.

Motorola Labs - Paris                        +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE                  +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary

David Bateman wrote:

> Fredrik Lingvall wrote:
>> I'm trying to plot dashed and/or dotted lines in Octave 3.0.2 but it
>> don't seem to work.
>>
>> x=randn(100,1);
>> plot(x,'k--')
>>
>> should produce a black dashed line but I only can see a solid line
>> (I'm using the Gnuplot backend).
>>
>> /Fredrik
>>

> Gnuplot doesn't implemented dashed/dotted lines on some terminals..
> Notably on the X11 terminal. On those that support it they are visible
> (eg eps)
>
> D.

Hm, I don't see any dashed lines in the eps-file by doing, for example,

plot(x,'--')
print -F:18 -depsc test.eps

/F

Fredrik Lingvall wrote:

> David Bateman wrote:
>> Fredrik Lingvall wrote:
>>> I'm trying to plot dashed and/or dotted lines in Octave 3.0.2 but it
>>> don't seem to work.
>>>
>>> x=randn(100,1);
>>> plot(x,'k--')
>>>
>>> should produce a black dashed line but I only can see a solid line
>>> (I'm using the Gnuplot backend).
>>>
>>> /Fredrik
>>>

>> Gnuplot doesn't implemented dashed/dotted lines on some terminals..
>> Notably on the X11 terminal. On those that support it they are
>> visible (eg eps)
>>
>> D.
>>

> Hm, I don't see any dashed lines in the eps-file by doing, for example,
>
> plot(x,'--')
> print -F:18 -depsc test.eps
>
> /F

print -dashed -F:18 -depsc test.eps

David Bateman wrote:

> Fredrik Lingvall wrote:
>> David Bateman wrote:

>>> Gnuplot doesn't implemented dashed/dotted lines on some terminals..
>>> Notably on the X11 terminal. On those that support it they are
>>> visible (eg eps)
>>>
>>> D.
>>>

>> Hm, I don't see any dashed lines in the eps-file by doing, for example,
>>
>> plot(x,'--')
>> print -F:18 -depsc test.eps
>>
>> /F
>>

> print -dashed -F:18 -depsc test.eps
>
> D.

Thanks David!  Gnuplot "auto-selects" the dash-style though. Is there a
way to control this (eg., select dotted/dash-dotted/dashed)?

/F