Debugging in GUI not opening new files (Octave 6 and 7 series)

Debugging in GUI not opening new files (Octave 6 and 7 series)

José Abílio Matos
Hi,
  in the last month I noticed that when I debug using the GUI (for both stable
and default) if I step into a function/class that is not open in the editor
the file is not opened automatically as I was used to.

If I open it manually the trace point is shown correctly and it all works.

I did not notice it initially because I had lots of files open, only when I
decided to do some (early in the Northern hemisphere) spring cleanings I was
surprised by the disappearance of the debug cursor.

Is this known? If not I will open a bug report on savannah.

Best regards,
--
José Matos

Re: Debugging in GUI not opening new files (Octave 6 and 7 series)

Torsten Lilge
On Sun, 2020-03-15 at 09:14 +0000, José Abílio Matos wrote:

> Hi,
>   in the last month I noticed that when I debug using the GUI (for
> both stable
> and default) if I step into a function/class that is not open in the
> editor
> the file is not opened automatically as I was used to.
>
> If I open it manually the trace point is shown correctly and it all
> works.
>
> I did not notice it initially because I had lots of files open, only
> when I
> decided to do some (early in the Northern hemisphere) spring cleanings
> I was
> surprised by the disappearance of the debug cursor.
>
> Is this known? If not I will open a bug report on savannah.
>
> Best regards,

Hello José,

Could you please check whether the preference
  "Always show debug breakpoints and pointer
  (open related file if closed)"
in the editor's preference pane is enabled?

Torsten

On Sunday, 15 March 2020 09.53.54 WET Torsten Lilge wrote:
> Hello José,
>
> Could you please check whether the preference
>   "Always show debug breakpoints and pointer
>   (open related file if closed)"
> in the editor's preference pane is enabled?
>
> Torsten

Yes, you are right. It works. Thank you.

BTW when I changed the preference and applied it octave crashed with signal
11:
octave exited with signal 11

Restarting octave showed the preference set and working.

On Sun, 2020-03-15 at 10:15 +0000, José Abílio Matos wrote:

> On Sunday, 15 March 2020 09.53.54 WET Torsten Lilge wrote:
> > Hello José,
> >
> > Could you please check whether the preference
> >   "Always show debug breakpoints and pointer
> >   (open related file if closed)"
> > in the editor's preference pane is enabled?
> >
> > Torsten
>
> Yes, you are right. It works. Thank you.
>
> BTW when I changed the preference and applied it octave crashed with
> signal
> 11:
> octave exited with signal 11
>
> Restarting octave showed the preference set and working.

Was the crash in stable or default version? Is it reproducible?

Torsten

On Sunday, 15 March 2020 11.42.20 WET Torsten Lilge wrote:
> Was the crash in stable or default version?

GNU Octave, version 6.0.1

> Is it reproducible?

I have not been able to reproduce it.

I have just reported because it was the outcome of the preference change.
Other than that I have no problem/crash on octave.

FWIW I am running Fedora 32 (Beta to be released next Tuesday) and I am
running it from a locally compilation. The build happens outside of the source
directory, I have rebuilt all the compilation (deleted the build directory and
rebuilt from scratch) since in Fedora 31 I was tracking default.

> Torsten

If I get any further crash I will report it. Thank you for your prompt answer.

José Matos