Depreciated Functions

Bill Denney
I was thinking of doing some work on functions that are not yet in octave,
and so I was looking through the combined octave index
(http://octave.sourceforge.net/index/index.html) that also lists matlab
functions that are not yet coded.  While going through those functions, I
noticed that quad8 was depreciated by matlab and they suggest using quadl
(which we already have).

Would it be considered a good idea for functions like this to just make
them simple functions that throw an error suggesting the other function or
what is recommended?

Bill

--
"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors -- and
miss."
   -- Robert A. Heinlein

Depreciated Functions

John W. Eaton-6
On 25-Jul-2005, Bill Denney wrote:

| I was thinking of doing some work on functions that are not yet in octave,
| and so I was looking through the combined octave index
| (http://octave.sourceforge.net/index/index.html) that also lists matlab
| functions that are not yet coded.  While going through those functions, I
| noticed that quad8 was depreciated by matlab and they suggest using quadl
| (which we already have).
|
| Would it be considered a good idea for functions like this to just make
| them simple functions that throw an error suggesting the other function or
| what is recommended?

Seems reasonable to me.

jwe