Documentation for OctaveGUI

Gary L. Roach
Hi all;

My first post. I can't seem to find a comprehensive coverage of the use
of the OctaveGUI. Most of the documentation seems to be more focused on
the command line. Command line may be more efficient but is not the best
for the occasional user.Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Gary R.

Re: Documentation for OctaveGUI

Nicklas Karlsson
> Hi all;
>
> My first post. I can't seem to find a comprehensive coverage of the use
> of the OctaveGUI. Most of the documentation seems to be more focused on
> the command line. Command line may be more efficient but is not the best
> for the occasional user.Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> Gary R.

There no buttons for commands available on command line and probably little use. GUI add file dialog, variables are listed, visible command history and a debug menu.

Have seen a few graphical programming environments and in such functions could be represented with blocks with arrow between them but for me it does not matter to much and are actually not certain it is always better.

There is something called OpenDX and they use graphical programming but it is only for visualization so it is possible.

Re: Documentation for OctaveGUI

nrjank
Both Octave and MATLAB (that octave aims to be compatible with) are primarily command line tools and scripting languages. The GUI is mainly there for some supporting functions like file navigation, command history, variable tracking, etc.

Perhaps you could let us know what functions and capabilities you would like better described and we could either point you to that help if it exists, or maybe take a note to develop that documentation if it doesn't.

On 7/13/20 3:41 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
[...]

I guess that I want to make a library of physical constants that I can pull into my calculations as needed. I would also like to be able to format my calculations in such a way that I can print out notes in a near finished form. Most of my uses will be doing a series of interconnected calculations along with notes. Am I looking at the wrong software? It has been years since i have used MatLab but seem to remember that it had this capability.

Also, how do you do subscripts and superscrips in Tex.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Gary R

Re: Documentation for OctaveGUI

nrjank

I guess that I want to make a library of physical constants that I can pull into my calculations as needed. I would also like to be able to format my calculations in such a way that I can print out notes in a near finished form. Most of my uses will be doing a series of interconnected calculations along with notes. Am I looking at the wrong software? It has been years since i have used MatLab but seem to remember that it had this capability.

Also, how do you do subscripts and superscrips in Tex

Personally I haven't seen this capability in Matlab, but I believe that the Matlab Live Editor, and the old MuPAD capability permit creation of formatted notebooks.
see:

and

 I don't believe this is a functionality that has been recreated in Octave.  There may be other tools out there such as GNU Maxima (symbolic algebra tool, similar to Mathematica) that would work.

On 7/13/20 5:03 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

[...]

Darn. I guess I will have to go looking again. I have done this type of thing using a spread sheet but found it somewhat cumbersome. Thank you very much for your help.

Gary R.

Re: Documentation for OctaveGUI

Dmitri A. Sergatskov

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 8:04 PM Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Jupiter notebook perhaps?

Dmitri.

Re: Documentation for OctaveGUI

nrjank
Administrator

yes, after comparing what a 'live editor' file does, it seems that a jupyter notebook using octave is the closest we can come to that.   I assume at this point there's no Matlab LiveScript compatibility?

Maybe a future wishlist item or GSOC project.

Re: Documentation for OctaveGUI

Nicklas Karlsson
> On 7/13/20 3:41 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> > Both Octave and MATLAB (that octave aims to be compatible with) are
> > primarily command line tools and scripting languages. The GUI is
> > mainly there for some supporting functions like file navigation,
> > command history, variable tracking, etc.
> >
> > Perhaps you could let us know what functions and capabilities you
> > would like better described and we could either point you to that help
> > if it exists, or maybe take a note to develop that documentation if it
> > doesn't.
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 13, 2020, 5:22 PM Gary L. Roach
> > <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> > wrote:
> >
> >     Hi all;
> >
> >     My first post. I can't seem to find a comprehensive coverage of
> >     the use
> >     of the OctaveGUI. Most of the documentation seems to be more
> >     focused on
> >     the command line. Command line may be more efficient but is not
> >     the best
> >     for the occasional user.Can anyone point me in the right direction?
> >
> >     Gary R.
> >

> I guess that I want to make a library of physical constants that I can
> pull into my calculations as needed. I would also like to be able to
> format my calculations in such a way that I can print out notes in a
> near finished form. Most of my uses will be doing a series of
> interconnected calculations along with notes. Am I looking at the wrong
> software? It has been years since i have used MatLab but seem to
> remember that it had this capability.
>
> Also, how do you do subscripts and superscrips in Tex.

Superscript ^ and subscript _ and ^{supescripted} _{subscripted} if there are more characters.

Texmacs is the best technical editor I have ever seen, it could link content to a file and you could use Octave to write this content to a file. Do not think Texmacs could link output from Octave function calls but in such case there should be no need to store in intermediate files and values could be collected in one file using object oriented programming. Texmacs could also export to LaTeX which may be a better alternative if documents should be updated automatically.

Nicklas Karlsson

Re: Documentation for OctaveGUI

John Frain

On Tue 14 Jul 2020 at 09:42, N <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 7/13/20 3:41 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> > Both Octave and MATLAB (that octave aims to be compatible with) are
> > primarily command line tools and scripting languages. The GUI is
> > mainly there for some supporting functions like file navigation,
> > command history, variable tracking, etc.
> >
> > Perhaps you could let us know what functions and capabilities you
> > would like better described and we could either point you to that help
> > if it exists, or maybe take a note to develop that documentation if it
> > doesn't.
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 13, 2020, 5:22 PM Gary L. Roach
> > <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

Try the publish routines described in 11.10 of the current Octave manual. If they are not sufficient have a look at R, RStudio, Rmarkdown, and knitr.  This is well described in Gandrud (2020), Reproducible Research with R and RStudio 3rd edition, CRC.  References are from memory as I do not have access to my sources here. Please forgive any errors

--
John C Frain, Ph.D.

Economics Department             3 Aranleigh Park
Trinity College Dublin                 Rathfarnham
College Green                           Dublin 14
Dublin 2                                    Ireland
Ireland