Documentation for the symbolic toolbox ?

Documentation for the symbolic toolbox ?

roland65
Hi,

I tried yesterday the symbolic toolbox (2.4.0) and I was able to run some examples from the Matlab symbolic toolbox. But the only documentation I found is this page: http://octave.sourceforge.net/symbolic/overview.html.

Is there anything else?
Is this package fully compatible with Matlab's one?

Thanks for your answers...

Re: Documentation for the symbolic toolbox ?

Colin Macdonald-2
On 04/08/16 23:19, roland65 wrote:
> I tried yesterday the symbolic toolbox (2.4.0) and I was able to run some
> examples from the Matlab symbolic toolbox. But the only documentation I
> found is this page:  http://octave.sourceforge.net/symbolic/overview.html
> Is there anything else?

Unfortunately not.  For the most part, each function is documented with
examples (e.g., at the page you linked as well as using "help
@sym/diff").  But these are not assembled into a manual and there isn't
a summary document.  Help of course is always appreciated!  Something
simple like a short "getting started" tutorial would be a very useful
contribution.

> Is this package fully compatible with Matlab's one?

No.  It does aim for similar behaviour.  But perfect compatibility is
probably almost impossible given that they use two different underlying
computer algebra systems---e.g., "simplify" may give different results
or the tables of things that can be integrated may differ.

Please do file issues for difference that you find.

Colin

Re: Documentation for the symbolic toolbox ?

roland65
OK, thanks for your answer.
I find this package useful. I often have to compute tedious developments and the functions of this package do the job quickly and without errors.