Does pkg on Windows no longer support zip?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Does pkg on Windows no longer support zip?

Colin Macdonald-2
Hi,

I tried the 5.1 w64 Windows installer today.  Then I tried to install
Symbolic using the ".zip" file and I got:

 >> pkg install symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.7.1.zip
unpack: unarchiving program exited with status: 2
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
error: called from
     unpack at line 274 column 5
     untar at line 48 column 5
     install at line 81 column 9
     pkg at line 441 column 9

Apologies for not noting earlier but I don't often have Windows access.

If this is by-design I will make a .tar.gz version of the Symbolic bundle.

Colin

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Does pkg on Windows no longer support zip?

Mike Miller-4
On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 12:54:00 -0800, Colin Macdonald wrote:

> I tried the 5.1 w64 Windows installer today.  Then I tried to install
> Symbolic using the ".zip" file and I got:
>
> >> pkg install symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.7.1.zip
> unpack: unarchiving program exited with status: 2
> tar: This does not look like a tar archive
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
> error: called from
>     unpack at line 274 column 5
>     untar at line 48 column 5
>     install at line 81 column 9
>     pkg at line 441 column 9
>
> Apologies for not noting earlier but I don't often have Windows access.
>
> If this is by-design I will make a .tar.gz version of the Symbolic bundle.
The 'unpack' function is in the call stack. I think the intent is that
'unpack' handles any kind of archive file. But I can reproduce, looks
like a regression from 4.4.

--
mike

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Does pkg on Windows no longer support zip?

Colin Macdonald-2
On 2019-02-26 1:21 p.m., Mike Miller wrote:
> The 'unpack' function is in the call stack. I think the intent is that
> 'unpack' handles any kind of archive file. But I can reproduce, looks
> like a regression from 4.4.

I'm unsure how serious this is.  I don't think its a problem for Octave
Forge.

And I can just make a .tar.gz bundle for Symbolic and update some docs.
But I wonder if other (perhaps non-core) packages are distributing .zip
files...

Colin

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Does pkg on Windows no longer support zip?

Mike Miller-4
On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 15:01:18 -0800, Colin Macdonald wrote:
> I'm unsure how serious this is.  I don't think its a problem for Octave
> Forge.
>
> And I can just make a .tar.gz bundle for Symbolic and update some docs. But
> I wonder if other (perhaps non-core) packages are distributing .zip files...

Not serious, but it is an inconvenient regression. I think it should be
fixed for 5.2. I reported it

  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?55788

--
mike

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment