Dynamic Linking on Linux?

John Smith-74
Observing:
        JWE develops Octave on Linux
        The Octave texi stuff includes some discussion of dynamic linking
        My Linux machine has a man page on 'dlopen'

I tried to compile octave with dynamic linking. (./configure
--enable-dl) (I am using a rather inefficient Spherical Bessel Function
routine, that would be usefully faster if compiled). But I failed.

The dlopen man page includes an example: but I don't have the file
<dlfcn.h> to include, so I fail on that.

Is dynamic linking possible in Linux - easilly? Techniques involving
installing the new gnu libc would count has hard. Has anyone done it?

        John
[hidden email]

Please forgive me if this question is covered by a paragraph in the
documentation; I did look for it.

Dynamic Linking on Linux?

John W. Eaton-6
On 21-Feb-1997, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I tried to compile octave with dynamic linking. (./configure
| --enable-dl) (I am using a rather inefficient Spherical Bessel Function
| routine, that would be usefully faster if compiled). But I failed.

I would recommend also using --enable-shared, because that will make
your loadable .oct files much smaller.

| The dlopen man page includes an example: but I don't have the file
| <dlfcn.h> to include, so I fail on that.

Your system must be missing some things (perhaps because they are part
of a `development' package that was not installed by default).  What
distribution, kernel, compiler, and library versions do you have?

| Is dynamic linking possible in Linux - easilly? Techniques involving
| installing the new gnu libc would count has hard. Has anyone done it?

It *should* be easy.  I don't have the latest libraries.  On my
system, dlfcn.h is part of the ldso package.

jwe