Dynamic Linking woes

Andy Adler-4
I'm trying to get octave set up to do dynamic linking.
(I'm on a K6-200 linux 2.0.30 system). I've gotten the
octave source and I'm trying to get the example
working from

examples/hello.cc

I complied octave with

./configure --enable-dl
make

and it complies. It makes the mkoctfile script
which compiles hello.cc

the problem is that if I then try the dynamic
linking, I get

octave:1> cd octave/dynlink/
octave:2> hello('asdf',1,2,3)
octave: can't resolve symbol 'stream__19octave_pager_stream'
~>

I've also tried compiling octave with

./configure --enable-shared --enable-dl
make

but I get a compiler error:

gcc -c  -fPIC -I. -I.. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -O readline.c -o pic/readline.o
Assembler messages:
FATAL: Can't create pic/readline.o: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [pic/readline.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/octave-2.0.9/readline'

Can anyone figure out what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks for any help.

Andy

Dynamic Linking woes

John W. Eaton-6
On 13-Aug-1997, Andy Adler <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I'm trying to get octave set up to do dynamic linking.

| I've also tried compiling octave with
|
| ./configure --enable-shared --enable-dl
| make
|
| but I get a compiler error:
|
| gcc -c  -fPIC -I. -I.. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -O readline.c -o pic/readline.o
| Assembler messages:
| FATAL: Can't create pic/readline.o: No such file or directory
| make[2]: *** [pic/readline.o] Error 1
| make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/octave-2.0.9/readline'
|
| Can anyone figure out what I'm doing wrong?
| Thanks for any help.

You will probably want to have shared libraries installed if you are
using the dynamic linking features, so --enable-shared is the right
way to go.

I think the install problem can probably be avoided by deleting the
following files and running make again.

  kpathsea/stamp-picdir
  kpathsea/stamp-shared
  libcruft/stamp-shared