Emacs inferior octave and help -i

Christian Jönsson ISY/DTR

I just noticed that running octave from within emacs, i.e., issuing the
M-x run-octave from emacs gets octave running in its own buffer. This is quite
nice. However, when trying to run info, say help -i help, one gets:

octave> help -i help
info: Terminal type "emacs" is not smart enough to run Info.
error: help: unable to find info!
error: evaluating index expression near line 8, column 1
octave>

So that's not so nice. Is there anyone out there who has given this a thougt?
Is the problem really related to ``Terminal type "emacs",'' or might it be
possible to get emacs to ``catch'' the help -i call, and ``throw'' it as its
own info buffer within the running emacs session?

BTW, plotting works just as it does ``stand-alone.''

--
Christian Jönsson                (MIME) E-mail:        [hidden email]
ISY/Linköping University               Phone:        +46 13 28 26 53

Emacs inferior octave and help -i

John W. Eaton-6
On  6-Feb-1997, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I just noticed that running octave from within emacs, i.e., issuing
| the M-x run-octave from emacs gets octave running in its own
| buffer. This is quite nice. However, when trying to run info, say
| help -i help, one gets:
|
| octave> help -i help
| info: Terminal type "emacs" is not smart enough to run Info.
| error: help: unable to find info!
| error: evaluating index expression near line 8, column 1
| octave>
|
| So that's not so nice. Is there anyone out there who has given this
| a thougt?

If you are running X, here's one solution:

  INFO_PROGRAM = sprintf ("xterm -e %s", INFO_PROGRAM)

If you want to use the GNU Emacs info reader instead, you might want
to look at the info-emacs-info and info-emacs-octave-help scripts from
Octave's examples directory.

jwe