Enquiry about GSoC OSC Topic

Boxun YAN

Dear maintainer,

I’m an electrical engineering student, willing to join GSoC program, help to develop Octave this summer.

I wish to seek help about the topic what I can help in OSC package development.

I’m familiar with circuit theory and Octave/C++ programming.

Yours sincerely,

Slick

29/3/20

Re: Enquiry about GSoC OSC Topic

siko1056
On 3/29/20 4:56 PM, Boxun YAN wrote:

> Dear maintainer,
>
> I’m an electrical engineering student, willing to join GSoC program,
> help to develop Octave this summer.
>
> I wish to seek help about the topic what I can help in OSC package
> development.
>
> I’m familiar with circuit theory and Octave/C++ programming.
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Slick

Dear Slick,

Thank you for your interest in the OCS package project.  Do you use the
package yourself and feel the need to improve things?  This is usually
the most preferable way of GSoC participation.  The package maintainer
mentions the following items [1]:

- use classdef
- fix open bugs [2]
- increase compatibility with SPICE

The time for GSoC participation in 2020 is a bit short if you want to
discuss a potential project from scratch.  You should come up with a
very strong project proposal by now.  Otherwise, you are always welcome
to work on the OCS package outside GSoC or to consider a GSoC
participation next year.

Best regards,
Kai

[1] https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_-_Getting_Started#OCS
[2]
https://savannah.gnu.org/search/?Search=Search&words=%28ocs%29&type_of_search=bugs&only_group_id=1925&exact=1&max_rows=25#options

Re: Enquiry about GSoC OSC Topic

Sebastian Schöps
siko1056 wrote

> On 3/29/20 4:56 PM, Boxun YAN wrote:
>
>> I’m familiar with circuit theory and Octave/C++ programming.
>
> The package maintainer
> mentions the following items [1]:
>
> - use classdef
> - fix open bugs [2]
> - increase compatibility with SPICE

Dear Slick,

thanks for your interest and thanks to siko for answering. Sorry, I was not
following the mailing list recently. At my university, we are currently
trying to somehow finish the winter exams and to organize the teaching for
next term. This is... challenging.

Regarding the project: siko pointed out some relevant topics and I agree
that we (you) are a bit late but it's not too late yet. Some more explicit
ideas:

1. There are several forks of OCS. Merge them into the official repository,
clean up the coding style, add tests for the new features and make a new
minor release
2. check the spice parser for missing features, even a rewrite should be
considered. The current code is rather ugly and not well maintainable.
3. Improve the internal data structures (classdef!), e.g. think how to
handle "global" variables, e.g. temperature and remove the "evaluate"
statements to assign parameters in the device files.
4. if the data structures are good, documentation improved and everything is
well tested then one should do a final "1.0" release.

Tutors who would be available for help are: Sebastian Schöps and my
colleague Idoia Cortes Garcia (TU Darmstadt) and Carlo De Falco (Polimi).

Best regards
Sebastian

Sent from: https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-Maintainers-f1638794.html

Re: Enquiry about GSoC OSC Topic

nrjank
Administrator
Tutors who would be available for help are: Sebastian Schöps and my
colleague Idoia Cortes Garcia (TU Darmstadt) and Carlo De Falco (Polimi).

as a regular SPICE user, I would also be a happy beta tester for such a package if it can be installed on Windows version of Octave using the package manager, but I have little insight into what goes on under the hood.