Error about gnulib not found when cloning octave

ant

Error about gnulib not found when cloning octave

ant
Hi
Got the following error about gnulib not found when trying to clone octave. I’m using Mercurial 2.0.2 for Windows and TortoiseHG 2.2.2

% hg clone --verbose -- http://www.octave.org/hg/octave C:\Users\António\Downloads\octave
real URL is http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave
requesting all changes
adding changesets
adding manifests
adding file changes
added 14357 changesets with 93458 changes to 9174 files (+2 heads)
updating to branch default
resolving manifests
getting .dir-locals.el
getting .hgignore
getting .hgsub
getting .hgsubstate
cloning subrepo gnulib from git://git.sv.gnu.org/gnulib
abort: The system cannot find the file specified
[command returned code 255 Sat Feb 11 21:01:17 2012]

Any help will be much appreciated!

Re: Error about gnulib not found when cloning octave

tmacchant
Hello

Building octave from the development source requires gnulib so that you have met the error.
You need to install msysgit to get gnulib components.

BTW, do you really want to build octave from development source?
What purpose do you want do it ?

Regards

Tatsuro

ant

Re: Error about gnulib not found when cloning octave

ant
I'm new to Octave, so I'm curious to see what is going on development source.

Kind regards,
Antonio

Re: Error about gnulib not found when cloning octave

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 11 February 2012 16:17, ant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Got the following error about gnulib not found when trying to clone octave.
> I’m using Mercurial 2.0.2 for Windows and TortoiseHG 2.2.2
>
> % hg clone --verbose -- http://www.octave.org/hg/octave
> C:\Users\António\Downloads\octave
> real URL is http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave
> requesting all changes
> adding changesets
> adding manifests
> adding file changes
> added 14357 changesets with 93458 changes to 9174 files (+2 heads)
> updating to branch default
> resolving manifests
> getting .dir-locals.el
> getting .hgignore
> getting .hgsub
> getting .hgsubstate
> cloning subrepo gnulib from git://git.sv.gnu.org/gnulib
> abort: The system cannot find the file specified
> [command returned code 255 Sat Feb 11 21:01:17 2012]

This appears to be some sort of bug with thg.

Can you try without it? Run this command instead:

    hg clone http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/

Also, you will need a working git installation.

If you are merely curious to see what's going on in the development
branch, you can just browse the url above. It is a big exercise to
compile Octave on Windows, because of its many dependencies. Tatsuro
has already compiled many of them, thankfully.

- Jordi G. H.
ant

Re: Error about gnulib not found when cloning octave

ant
Unfortunatelly got the same error running: hg clone http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/
(this time didn't use TortoiseHG)

Re: Error about gnulib not found when cloning octave

martin_helm
Am 12.02.2012 04:58, schrieb ant:
> Unfortunatelly got the same error running: hg clone
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/
> (this time didn't use TortoiseHG)

Do you have the hg-git plugin?
ant

Re: Error about gnulib not found when cloning octave

ant
Well, not really. Anyway already gave up trying

Re: Error about gnulib not found when cloning octave

tmacchant
Hello

Current state of the dishevelment source is near to the 3.6.0.
For the Octave 3.6.0, windows binaries can be available.

Please follow the instruction to install binaries,
http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Octave_for_Windows#Octave-3.6.0-mingw_.2B_octaveforge_pkgs

Building octave from development source on MinGW is my homework but it has not been completed yet :-(. Sorry for inconvenience.

However, if you have enough knowledge msys+MinGW developments, the following will be a hint to do them.

http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/octave/Eng/Win/
Readme_octave-3.6.0.txt

This page includes MinGW and Msys toolkis for octave build and also dependency libraries required for build.  Some users who have experience for Unixy build have bee successful to build the development source on MinGW.

Anyway if you want to get complete development source, you need install "git"  program.  I am using Msysgit from the below

http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/

Regards

Tatsuro

Regards

Tatsuro

--- On Sun, 2012/2/12, ant  wrote:

> I'm new to Octave, so I'm curious to see what is going on development source.
>
> Kind regards,
> Antonio

Re: Error about gnulib not found when cloning octave

tmacchant
Error correction

****