Error when executing "make" on Ubuntu Linux

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Error when executing "make" on Ubuntu Linux

Igal Franko
Hello there!

I'm keen to try to help in Octave development and I downloaded Octave a few days ago from the mercurial repository (so the development version.)
I followed the instructions on the HACKING document, and made sure I have all prerequisites (according to the Octave manual) including the optional ones. I installed all prerequisited apart from HDF5 (as there were several versions and I did not know which one to use.)

This is on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS x86_64

These are the commands I executed:

./bootstrap
mkdir .build
cd .build
../configure
make

I am getting an error when executing make.

I am putting here the output from the configure script and from "make."

configure script output: http://pastebin.com/czGqCCEA

output from make: http://pastebin.com/2gLRNxDL
(first time I executed make, it outputs a lot of stuff, too much for pastebin to handle, so I executed it again and the second time it doesn't spit out as much stuff but still spits out the error, that is what I pasted in the link above)

I'll be grateful for any help about this issue.

Cheers!
Igal Franko

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error when executing "make" on Ubuntu Linux

mpender
If I am interpreting the error messages correctly, the Octave build completed, but the script is failing when it tries to compute how to render a certain graphic in postscript mode ('eps').  If you try starting Octave in the command line interface mode instead of the GUI, then does it start up?

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Igal Franko <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello there!

I'm keen to try to help in Octave development and I downloaded Octave a few days ago from the mercurial repository (so the development version.)
I followed the instructions on the HACKING document, and made sure I have all prerequisites (according to the Octave manual) including the optional ones. I installed all prerequisited apart from HDF5 (as there were several versions and I did not know which one to use.)

This is on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS x86_64

These are the commands I executed:

./bootstrap
mkdir .build
cd .build
../configure
make

I am getting an error when executing make.

I am putting here the output from the configure script and from "make."

configure script output: http://pastebin.com/czGqCCEA

output from make: http://pastebin.com/2gLRNxDL
(first time I executed make, it outputs a lot of stuff, too much for pastebin to handle, so I executed it again and the second time it doesn't spit out as much stuff but still spits out the error, that is what I pasted in the link above)

I'll be grateful for any help about this issue.

Cheers!
Igal Franko

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave


_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error when executing "make" on Ubuntu Linux

Igal Franko
Thanx for the answer.

It indeed works in CLI mode.

I googled the error "warning: ft_render: invalid bounding box, cannot render" and I found in http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21955036/problems-plotting-with-octave and http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-bug-tracker/2013-09/msg00065.html that this error can be related to fonts that are not installed. Maybe this is the problem?
Maybe there are certain fonts required by Octave that I need to install?
Just an idea.

Another clue: if I execute plot(1:10) in octave (in CLI mode) I get the following errors: http://pastebin.com/aEirBZpk

I also saw the thread http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/ft-render-runtime-errors-td4656976.html which says this might be related to libgl, Freetype or Fontconfig. I made sure I have the packages libfreetype and libfontconfig. I am not sure what package I need for OpenGL, what I have is the package libgl1-mesa-dev, also installed freeglut as I saw somewhere on Ubuntu forums it is needed for OpenGL support.

Also I found http://octave.sourceforge.net/doxygen/html/d8/de5/txt-eng-ft_8cc_source.html which seems to be the source file which generates the error, if it helps.

Cheers.
Igal Franko



_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error when executing "make" on Ubuntu Linux

Mike Miller
On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 15:49:27 +1100, Igal Franko wrote:

> Thanx for the answer.
>
> It indeed works in CLI mode.
>
> I googled the error "warning: ft_render: invalid bounding box, cannot
> render" and I found in
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21955036/problems-plotting-with-octave
> and
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-bug-tracker/2013-09/msg00065.html
> that this error can be related to fonts that are not installed. Maybe this
> is the problem?
> Maybe there are certain fonts required by Octave that I need to install?
> Just an idea.
>
> Another clue: if I execute plot(1:10) in octave (in CLI mode) I get the
> following errors: http://pastebin.com/aEirBZpk
>
> I also saw the thread
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/ft-render-runtime-errors-td4656976.html
> which says this might be related to libgl, Freetype or Fontconfig. I made
> sure I have the packages libfreetype and libfontconfig. I am not sure what
> package I need for OpenGL, what I have is the package libgl1-mesa-dev, also
> installed freeglut as I saw somewhere on Ubuntu forums it is needed for
> OpenGL support.

Those were all me, so I might as well comment :)

I only encountered these errors when building Octave on an extremely
minimally configured system, for example in the Hydra autobuild
environment, or by intentionally breaking my Debian system's font
configuration. Is there anything unusual, minimal, or highly
customized about your Ubuntu 12.04 system or the user environment in
which you are building?

The solution for the Hydra environment where this error originated for
me was indeed to install fonts. After ensuring that the freefont
package is installed (not sure it matters which font package) and that
a proper fontconfig file is generated and detected, these errors went
away.

What do you get from the command `fc-list`?

HTH,

--
mike

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error when executing "make" on Ubuntu Linux

Igal Franko
Thank you for the answer Mike.

I have the default Ubuntu configuration, I added support for the Hebrew language which might affect fonts somehow. I do have Hebrew fonts which were installed automatically at some point.

The command `fc-list` gives me the following output: http://pastebin.com/YhXSdBEj

Cheers,
Igal


On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 15:49:27 +1100, Igal Franko wrote:
> Thanx for the answer.
>
> It indeed works in CLI mode.
>
> I googled the error "warning: ft_render: invalid bounding box, cannot
> render" and I found in
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21955036/problems-plotting-with-octave
> and
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-bug-tracker/2013-09/msg00065.html
> that this error can be related to fonts that are not installed. Maybe this
> is the problem?
> Maybe there are certain fonts required by Octave that I need to install?
> Just an idea.
>
> Another clue: if I execute plot(1:10) in octave (in CLI mode) I get the
> following errors: http://pastebin.com/aEirBZpk
>
> I also saw the thread
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/ft-render-runtime-errors-td4656976.html
> which says this might be related to libgl, Freetype or Fontconfig. I made
> sure I have the packages libfreetype and libfontconfig. I am not sure what
> package I need for OpenGL, what I have is the package libgl1-mesa-dev, also
> installed freeglut as I saw somewhere on Ubuntu forums it is needed for
> OpenGL support.

Those were all me, so I might as well comment :)

I only encountered these errors when building Octave on an extremely
minimally configured system, for example in the Hydra autobuild
environment, or by intentionally breaking my Debian system's font
configuration. Is there anything unusual, minimal, or highly
customized about your Ubuntu 12.04 system or the user environment in
which you are building?

The solution for the Hydra environment where this error originated for
me was indeed to install fonts. After ensuring that the freefont
package is installed (not sure it matters which font package) and that
a proper fontconfig file is generated and detected, these errors went
away.

What do you get from the command `fc-list`?

HTH,

--
mike



_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error when executing "make" on Ubuntu Linux

Dmitri A. Sergatskov
it looks to me that your build is using fltk toolkit to build documentation.
This is kind of strange -- I think it should use gnuplot for this
(even though fltk may be a default graphics backend).

Do you have gnuplot installed?

Dmitri.
--


_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error when executing "make" on Ubuntu Linux

Mike Miller
On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 15:55:16 +1100, Igal Franko wrote:
> I have the default Ubuntu configuration, I added support for the Hebrew
> language which might affect fonts somehow. I do have Hebrew fonts which
> were installed automatically at some point.
>
> The command `fc-list` gives me the following output:

Can't help you any further, then, sorry. Installing one or more fonts
such that fc-list showed something fixed the problem I had.

I am able to build on Ubuntu 12.04 from a clean hg clone without error.
Maybe try `sudo apt-get build-dep octave` just to ensure you installed
all of the build-dependencies?

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 20:41:09 -0600, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
> it looks to me that your build is using fltk toolkit to build documentation.
> This is kind of strange -- I think it should use gnuplot for this
> (even though fltk may be a default graphics backend).
>
> Do you have gnuplot installed?

Not sure about this. If gnuplot isn't installed, make should not even
attempt to build the doc directory.

I was curious, so I tried this and confirmed that no gnuplot means that
doc isn't built, and make does complete without an error for me.

--
mike

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error when executing "make" on Ubuntu Linux

Igal Franko
In reply to this post by Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Hi Dmitri.

Thank you for the answer. I indeed have gnuplot installed.
For the full details of the package I have installed see: http://pastebin.com/vnf0ZkiB

Cheers,
Igal F.

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov <[hidden email]> wrote:
it looks to me that your build is using fltk toolkit to build documentation.
This is kind of strange -- I think it should use gnuplot for this
(even though fltk may be a default graphics backend).

Do you have gnuplot installed?

Dmitri.
--



_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error when executing "make" on Ubuntu Linux

Dmitri A. Sergatskov


On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 9:53 PM, Igal Franko <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dmitri.

Thank you for the answer. I indeed have gnuplot installed.
For the full details of the package I have installed see: http://pastebin.com/vnf0ZkiB

Cheers,
Igal F.


​the file octave/doc​/interpreter/geometryimages.m

should have near the top the line
graphics_toolkit ("gnuplot");

Can you check that it is there in your copy?

Dmitri.
--



_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error when executing "make" on Ubuntu Linux

Igal Franko
In reply to this post by Mike Miller


On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

Can't help you any further, then, sorry. Installing one or more fonts
such that fc-list showed something fixed the problem I had.

I am able to build on Ubuntu 12.04 from a clean hg clone without error.
Maybe try `sudo apt-get build-dep octave` just to ensure you installed
all of the build-dependencies?

Yes, I did `sudo apt-get build-dep octave3.2`, octave3.2 is the octave package currently available in the default ubuntu repository. Maybe this version is not good?
Thanks for the help.

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error when executing "make" on Ubuntu Linux

Igal Franko
In reply to this post by Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Hi Dmitri.


On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov <[hidden email]> wrote:

​the file octave/doc​/interpreter/geometryimages.m

should have near the top the line
graphics_toolkit ("gnuplot");

Can you check that it is there in your copy?


That line is indeed present in that file near the top. The first two (non-comment) lines are:

function geometryimages (nm, typ)
  graphics_toolkit ("gnuplot");

Cheer,
igal F.

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error when executing "make" on Ubuntu Linux

Igal Franko
Any other ideas? I am quite at a loss here.

Cheers

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Igal Franko <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dmitri.


On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov <[hidden email]> wrote:

​the file octave/doc​/interpreter/geometryimages.m

should have near the top the line
graphics_toolkit ("gnuplot");

Can you check that it is there in your copy?


That line is indeed present in that file near the top. The first two (non-comment) lines are:

function geometryimages (nm, typ)
  graphics_toolkit ("gnuplot");

Cheer,
igal F.


_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error when executing "make" on Ubuntu Linux

Andreas Weber-4
Am 23.11.2014 um 15:26 schrieb Igal Franko:
> Any other ideas? I am quite at a loss here.

Are you able to use gnuplot if you execute

./run-octave --no-gui

in your build-dir and then

graphics_toolkit ("gnuplot");
plot (rand(3))

Another idea: I normally make an out of source build:

hg clone .... octave-src
cd octave-src
./bootstrap
cd ..
mkdir octave-build
cd octave-build
../octave-src/configure
make -j8

have you tried to make a new build after installing all dependencies?
-- Andy


_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error when executing "make" on Ubuntu Linux

Igal Franko
Hi Andeas,

thank you for the answer

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 5:09 PM, Andreas Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 23.11.2014 um 15:26 schrieb Igal Franko:
> Any other ideas? I am quite at a loss here.

Are you able to use gnuplot if you execute

/run-octave --no-gui

in your build-dir and then

graphics_toolkit ("gnuplot");
plot (rand(3))

When I execute this I get a similar error to what I get when compiling, here is the output I get: http://pastebin.com/fEVtmaFd

Even though I get this error, the plot is produced and I get a new window with the plotted curves: http://oi61.tinypic.com/21j0rnt.jpg
 
Another idea: I normally make an out of source build:

hg clone .... octave-src
cd octave-src
/bootstrap
cd ..
mkdir octave-build
cd octave-build
./octave-src/configure
make -j8

have you tried to make a new build after installing all dependencies?
-- Andy


Yes, I have only executed the bootstrap and configure scripts after installing all the dependencies.

Thank you,
Igal F.


_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave