Even a simple excel file has problem

Basu, Debashis

Hello,

Even with this simple excel file there is a problem with xlsread as shown below.

Detected XLS interfaces: COM*; error: 'chk_jar_entries' undefined near line 38 column 24

error: called from

    __POI_chk_sprt__ at line 38 column 22

    getxlsinterfaces at line 144 column 26

    xlsopen at line 262 column 17

    xlsread at line 233 column 11

    med423devc at line 1 column 9

Please help and advice how to solve this issue.

Thanks and Regards,

Debashis Basu

test.xlsx (10K) Download Attachment

Re: Even a simple excel file has problem

Andreas Weber-6
Am 13.09.19 um 21:59 schrieb Basu, Debashis:
> Even with this simple excel file there is a problem with xlsread as
> shown below.

Have you read https://wiki.octave.org/IO_package#different_interfaces ?
Obviously you are using the COM interface. Perhaps you haven't installed
MS Office?

The wiki page suggests the OCT interface which I personally use a lot on
GNU/Linux and it doesn't has external dependencies.

Please read the wiki page and try the OCT interface.

-- Andy

Re: Even a simple excel file has problem

PhilipNienhuis
Basu, Debashis wrote

> Hello,
> Even with this simple excel file there is a problem with xlsread as shown
> below.
>

> Detected XLS interfaces: COM*; error: 'chk_jar_entries' undefined near
> line 38 column 24
> error: called from
>     __POI_chk_sprt__ at line 38 column 22
>     getxlsinterfaces at line 144 column 26
>     xlsopen at line 262 column 17
>     xlsread at line 233 column 11
>     med423devc at line 1 column 9
>
> Please help and advice how to solve this issue.

I'm sorry you hit this.

AFAIK this bug is triggered if you (knowingly or not) try to use the COM
interface but haven't got a Java JRE (or Java JDK) installed with the same
bit width (i.e., 32 bit or 64 bit) as Octave.
(FYI on Windows you can have both 32 bit and 64 bit Java JREs installed side
by side.)

Anyway this was fixed in the io package some time ago. One of these days
I'll make a new io package release with a.o., this bug fix, but I haven't
found the time yet.

So the easiest workaround at this time is to install a proper Java JRE;
another way out is using the OCT interface, as suggested by Andreas (but yes
it is slower than COM).

Philip