FEMoctave, a simple Finite Element package

FEMoctave, a simple Finite Element package

Andreas Stahel-6
Dear Octave users

After a long hiatus (2005) a new version of the FEMoctave package is
available.
It might be useful to learn or teach FEM.

Find the documentation at
https://web.sha1.bfh.science/FEMoctave/doc/FEMdoc.pdf
and the source for the package at
https://web.sha1.bfh.science/FEMoctave2.0.1.tgz

To install on a UNIX read the README.TXT. For other operations systems
modify the Makefile.

With best regards

Andreas Stahel

--
Andreas Stahel
Mathematics, BFH-TI  E-Mail: Andreas.Stahel@[ANTI-SPAM]bfh.ch

Re: FEMoctave, a simple Finite Element package

nrjank
> To install on a UNIX read the README.TXT. For other operations systems
> modify the Makefile.

I'm actually quite intrigued by this, but mainly operate in a windows environment. From your  README:

"To install this package proceed as follow (on a UNIX system). It is possible to install the package on Win but do not ask me how to
proceed."

Looking at your unix installation instructions, could this be converted into an octave package such that built in pkg manage could handle installation/compilation? Then depending on what's involved, it may get to a broader audience.

Re: FEMoctave, a simple Finite Element package

nrjank
On Fri, May 15, 2020, 1:34 AM Andreas Stahel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Nicholas

Thank you for the feedback. And yes, you are absolutely right.
It is possible to make a packa out of it. I tried but could not figure
aout the details.
And testing is impossible, as I have no Win* or Mac system.
The compilations steps are rather small for FEMoctave.

Please always keep the help list cc'd. thankfully octave is a community maintained project. It's possible someone on the list could help with turning it into a package. Most people running windows likely don't have to build tools to perform even "small" compilation steps, so packaging this might be the only way to get it to most of those users.

Re: FEMoctave, a simple Finite Element package --> reply to help list

Nicklas Karlsson

> > Yes if remember to press button reply all but it seems common here many do
> > not so it might be a good idea to change on server.
> >

> what server? This is an email list. Are you using the nabble archive
> interface? I don't think that's under control of anyone involved in the
> project.  I think, though, that it has a reply to list option.

Read this http://david.woodhou.se/reply-to-list.html and think they concluded reply to all is the best solution though it is easy to forget.

Regards Nicklas Karlssong

Re: FEMoctave, a simple Finite Element package --> reply to help list

nrjank
>Read this http://david.woodhou.se/reply-to-list.html and think they concluded reply to all is the best solution though it is easy to forget.

Interesting read. In any case, on this list as long as you include the list in the reply in some way. Someone might be able to help you turn femoctave into a package so people like me can give it a try. :)

Re: FEMoctave, a simple Finite Element package

marco atzeri-2
On 14.05.2020 21:20, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

>  > To install on a UNIX read the README.TXT. For other operations systems
>  > modify the Makefile.
>

> I'm actually quite intrigued by this, but mainly operate in a windows
> environment. From your  README:
>
> "To install this package proceed as follow (on a UNIX system). It is
> possible to install the package on Win but do not ask me how to
> proceed."
>
> Looking at your unix installation instructions, could this be converted
> into an octave package such that built in pkg manage could handle
> installation/compilation? Then depending on what's involved, it may get
> to a broader audience.

it builds fine under Cygwin and octave 5.2.0 with minimimal
modification of the Makefile.

I guess the conversion to a Octave package should be easy,
I will look on this.

Andreas,

one issue on the PDF documentation, as I tested the first example on
page 8 LaplaceRectangle.m

the APOSTROPHE are wrong ones:

      xlabel(’x’); ylabel(’y’);
should be
      xlabel('x'); ylabel('y');

that is annoying for "copy and paste" of examples

Regards
Marco

FEMoctave, a simple Finite Element code, now as Octave package

Andreas Stahel-6
Dear Octave users

with the generous help by Carlo de Falco and Marco Atzeri the
FEMoctave code and documentation is converted to an Octave package.

It can be installed within Octave by
pkg install https://github.com/AndreasStahel/FEMoctave/archive/v2.0.3.tar.gz

Observe that documentation and demo codes are in a sub-directory doc of
the installation. To find the location on your system use
pkg load femoctave
which BVP2D

Documentation and codes are also on GitHub at