[FORGE] How to find when a package was released

[FORGE] How to find when a package was released

JuanPi
Hi all,

What is the most efficient method to list the date of the last release
of a package?
I was thinking to use date as a first criterium to decide if a release
should be made.

Thanks

--
JuanPi Carbajal
Public GnuPG key: 81FE32B3
- Hans Moravec

Re: [FORGE] How to find when a package was released

Mike Miller
On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 16:11:47 +0200, JuanPi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What is the most efficient method to list the date of the last release
> of a package?

Efficient depends on what you've got at your disposal :) If you have
the hg repo cloned,

  hg tags
  hg log -v -r $LAST_TAG_NAME

If you're in Octave,

  pkgs = pkg ("list");
  pkgs{:}.date

if you can figure out which one of the array corresponds to the
package you are interested in. And of course that assumes you have the
latest releases already installed.

If all you have is a web browser, then

  http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php

and click through to the package page of interest.

> I was thinking to use date as a first criterium to decide if a release
> should be made.

Yeah. I know signal is overdue, you guys have been making a few
changes this week, I need to merge into my branch and release soon.

Re: [FORGE] How to find when a package was released

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On Fri, 2014-10-17 at 10:23 -0400, Mike Miller wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 16:11:47 +0200, JuanPi wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > What is the most efficient method to list the date of the last release
> > of a package?
>
> Efficient depends on what you've got at your disposal :) If you have
> the hg repo cloned,
>
>   hg tags
>   hg log -v -r $LAST_TAG_NAME

Or

    hg log -r 'last(sort(tag(), date))'

that is, get all the tagged revisions, sort them by date, and pick the
last one. I guess that's a bit more typing, but I couldn't resist
talking about revsets again (see `hg help revsets`).

- Jordi G. H.

Re: [FORGE] How to find when a package was released

Carnë Draug
On 17 October 2014 15:11, JuanPi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What is the most efficient method to list the date of the last release
> of a package?

Parsing of the NEWS page [1]. This page is updated after a package is uploaded
(I used to forget to add an entry but now this is automated).

Not all package maintainers tag their releases, so looking for them on
hg may not
be the best.

Carnë

[1] http://octave.sourceforge.net/NEWS.html

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 5:46 PM, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17 October 2014 15:11, JuanPi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What is the most efficient method to list the date of the last release
>> of a package?
>
> Parsing of the NEWS page [1]. This page is updated after a package is uploaded
> (I used to forget to add an entry but now this is automated).
>
> Not all package maintainers tag their releases, so looking for them on
> hg may not
> be the best.
>
> Carnë
>
> [1] http://octave.sourceforge.net/NEWS.html

Thank you for  all your suggestions.
The best methods fr me are:

1. hg log -r 'last(sort(tag(), date))'
The drawback here was mentioned by Carnë: not every releaser tags the release.
I am guilty of not tagging, just because I did not know about tagging :D.
What would be the hg tag command?
When one should run it?
What should the tag be?
I imagine a command like this executed after the actual release of the package

hg tag -d $(date) release

Please do correct me!

2. NEWS page. Seems like the easiest solution to get a list.

Ideally I would like to able able to plot the time since the last
release for all packages (so hg might not be the most space in disk
efficient). Does sourceforge offers something like this?

--
JuanPi Carbajal
Public GnuPG key: 81FE32B3
- Hans Moravec

On 17 October 2014 17:16, JuanPi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am guilty of not tagging, just because I did not know about tagging :D.
> What would be the hg tag command?
> When one should run it?
> What should the tag be?
> I imagine a command like this executed after the actual release of the package
>
> hg tag -d $(date) release
>
> Please do correct me!

I just follow the Octave core example on this:

## edit NEWS, DESCRIPTION, and configure.ac with new version and release date
$ hg commit -m "maint: release 2.2.2."
$ hg tag "release-2.2.2"

Carnë

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 2:00 AM, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17 October 2014 17:16, JuanPi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am guilty of not tagging, just because I did not know about tagging :D.
>> What would be the hg tag command?
>> When one should run it?
>> What should the tag be?
>> I imagine a command like this executed after the actual release of the package
>>
>> hg tag -d $(date) release
>>
>> Please do correct me!
>
> I just follow the Octave core example on this:
>
> ## edit NEWS, DESCRIPTION, and configure.ac with new version and release date
> $ hg commit -m "maint: release 2.2.2."
> $ hg tag "release-2.2.2"
>
> Carnë

Great, thanks!