FYI: wiki transition in progress

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
Thanks to Joanna Cheng's initiative, we have finally started working
on revamping the wiki. If you want to help with the effort or see how
it's coming along, take a walk here:

    http://octave.org/wiki/index.php

- Jordi G. H.

On 15-Nov-2011, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

| Thanks to Joanna Cheng's initiative, we have finally started working
| on revamping the wiki. If you want to help with the effort or see how
| it's coming along, take a walk here:
|
|     http://octave.org/wiki/index.php

Once the new wiki is populated with whatever useful information we can
salvage from the old wiki, I will change wiki.octave.org to redirect
to the new location.

Re: FYI: wiki transition in progress

Etienne Grossmann-6

   Hi all,

the new wiki seems to work well - and no need for you to hand out passwords!

   For newbies editing a page, it would be nice if e.g. @ the bottom
of the page were a cheat-sheet of the wiki's syntax. Is this feasible?
(or have I missed this feature?)

   Thanks,

   Etienne

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> (Tue, 15 Nov 2011

--
http://www.egdn.net/etienne.html

Re: FYI: wiki transition in progress

Juan Pablo Carbajal
2011/11/16 Etienne Grossmann <[hidden email]>:

>  Hi all,
>
> the new wiki seems to work well - and no need for you to hand out passwords!
>
>  For newbies editing a page, it would be nice if e.g. @ the bottom of the
> page were a cheat-sheet of the wiki's syntax. Is this feasible? (or have I
> missed this feature?)
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Etienne
>
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> (Tue, 15 Nov 2011 19:28:46
> -0500) wrote:
>
>> Thanks to Joanna Cheng's initiative, we have finally started working
>> on revamping the wiki. If you want to help with the effort or see how
>> it's coming along, take a walk here:
>>
>>    http://octave.org/wiki/index.php
>>
>> - Jordi G. H.
>>

> --
> http://www.egdn.net/etienne.html

Great initiative,

Let me know how to help!
Maybe a few guidelines in the discussion of the main page?

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----
University of Zürich
http://ailab.ifi.uzh.ch/carbajal/

Re: FYI: wiki transition in progress

Joanna Cheng
2011/11/16 Etienne Grossmann <[hidden email]>:
>  For newbies editing a page, it would be nice if e.g. @ the bottom of the
> page were a cheat-sheet of the wiki's syntax. Is this feasible? (or have I
> missed this feature?)

Not sure if it is possible, I don't think it is by default, but there
is probably an extension. If there's enough demand I guess I can look
for it. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/mediawiki/wiki/Help:Formatting
is a good reference for wiki syntax, in the meantime.
I have a decent amount of experience in wiki syntax so do let me know
if there's anything specific formatting-wise we want. I suspect before
long I'll need to write a custom template (or two. or five) :)

Juan: I think just pick a page and start porting it. If you can just
copy it over and make an initial save, we'll know someone's claimed
it. Then slowly work on fixing formatting.
Be picky -- I've been told the wiki is fairly out of date, so we
should try and make sure all the info in the new wiki is up-to-date.
Oh, and thanks in advance for your help :)

--Joanna

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Joanna Cheng <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/11/16 Etienne Grossmann <[hidden email]>:
>>  For newbies editing a page, it would be nice if e.g. @ the bottom of the
>> page were a cheat-sheet of the wiki's syntax. Is this feasible? (or have I
>> missed this feature?)
>
> Not sure if it is possible, I don't think it is by default, but there
> is probably an extension. If there's enough demand I guess I can look
> for it. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/mediawiki/wiki/Help:Formatting
> is a good reference for wiki syntax, in the meantime.
> I have a decent amount of experience in wiki syntax so do let me know
> if there's anything specific formatting-wise we want. I suspect before
> long I'll need to write a custom template (or two. or five) :)
>
> Juan: I think just pick a page and start porting it. If you can just
> copy it over and make an initial save, we'll know someone's claimed
> it. Then slowly work on fixing formatting.
> Be picky -- I've been told the wiki is fairly out of date, so we
> should try and make sure all the info in the new wiki is up-to-date.
> Oh, and thanks in advance for your help :)
>
> --Joanna

Ok, I will work that way.

Thanks

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----
University of Zürich
http://ailab.ifi.uzh.ch/carbajal/

Re: FYI: wiki transition in progress

Fredrik Lingvall
On 11/16/11 12:47, Joanna Cheng wrote:

> 2011/11/16 Etienne Grossmann<[hidden email]>:
>>   For newbies editing a page, it would be nice if e.g. @ the bottom of the
>> page were a cheat-sheet of the wiki's syntax. Is this feasible? (or have I
>> missed this feature?)
> Not sure if it is possible, I don't think it is by default, but there
> is probably an extension. If there's enough demand I guess I can look
> for it. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/mediawiki/wiki/Help:Formatting
> is a good reference for wiki syntax, in the meantime.
> I have a decent amount of experience in wiki syntax so do let me know
> if there's anything specific formatting-wise we want. I suspect before
> long I'll need to write a custom template (or two. or five) :)

Have a look at the Gentoo wiki templates:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Index:Templates

For example, the Code, Note, and File templates is probably useful for
Octave too.

/Fredrik

Re: FYI: wiki transition in progress

Carnë Draug-2
On 16 November 2011 12:07, Fredrik Lingvall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/16/11 12:47, Joanna Cheng wrote:
>>
>> 2011/11/16 Etienne Grossmann<[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>>  For newbies editing a page, it would be nice if e.g. @ the bottom of the
>>> page were a cheat-sheet of the wiki's syntax. Is this feasible? (or have
>>> missed this feature?)
>>
>> Not sure if it is possible, I don't think it is by default, but there
>> is probably an extension. If there's enough demand I guess I can look
>> for it.
>> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/mediawiki/wiki/Help:Formatting
>> is a good reference for wiki syntax, in the meantime.
>> I have a decent amount of experience in wiki syntax so do let me know
>> if there's anything specific formatting-wise we want. I suspect before
>> long I'll need to write a custom template (or two. or five) :)
>

> Have a look at the Gentoo wiki templates:
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Index:Templates
>
> For example, the Code, Note, and File templates is probably useful for
> Octave too.
>
> /Fredrik

This is now done. Thanks to Joanna for the help. She also modified
Code so that giving a description to the code is now optional.

Here's a list of the templates available
http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special%3AAllPages&from=&to=&namespace=10
(ignore the ones ending in /Doc)

Carnë