Failed: Hydra job gnu:octave-default:coverage on x86_64-linux

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Failed: Hydra job gnu:octave-default:coverage on x86_64-linux

Hydra Build Daemon
Hi,

The status of Hydra job gnu:octave-default:coverage (on x86_64-linux) has changed from "Success" to "Failed".  For details, see

  http://hydra.nixos.org/build/16128258

Go forth and fix it.

Regards,

The Hydra build daemon.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed: Hydra job gnu:octave-default:coverage on x86_64-linux

Daniel Sebald
On 10/18/2014 08:48 PM, Hydra Build Daemon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The status of Hydra job gnu:octave-default:coverage (on x86_64-linux) has changed from "Success" to "Failed".  For details, see
>
>    http://hydra.nixos.org/build/16128258
>
> Go forth and fix it.
>
> Regards,
>
> The Hydra build daemon.

The build log is here:

http://hydra.nixos.org/build/16128258/nixlog/1/raw

Making all in interpreter
make[3]: Entering directory
`/tmp/nix-build-octave-coverage.drv-0/octave-4.1.0+/doc/interpreter'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `genpropdoc.m', needed by
`plot-axesproperties.texi'.  Stop.

Dan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed: Hydra job gnu:octave-default:coverage on x86_64-linux

Pantxo
Le 19/10/2014 08:40, Daniel J Sebald a écrit :

> On 10/18/2014 08:48 PM, Hydra Build Daemon wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>
>>
>> The status of Hydra job gnu:octave-default:coverage (on x86_64-linux)
>> has changed from "Success" to "Failed".  For details, see
>>
>>
>>
>>    http://hydra.nixos.org/build/16128258
>>
>>
>>
>> Go forth and fix it.
>>
>>
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>
>>
>> The Hydra build daemon.
>>
>
>
> The build log is here:
>
>
>
> http://hydra.nixos.org/build/16128258/nixlog/1/raw
>
>
>
> Making all in interpreter
>
> make[3]: Entering directory
> `/tmp/nix-build-octave-coverage.drv-0/octave-4.1.0+/doc/interpreter'
>
> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `genpropdoc.m', needed by
> `plot-axesproperties.texi'.  Stop.
>
>
>
> Dan
>
>
>
Hi,

Looks like I forgot to include the new files in EXTRA_DIST. Does this
changeset http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/217c455eac8f fix
the hydra build?

I tried to make a fresh clone, bootstrap and build out of source and
still I couldn't reproduce the failure. What is different in the way
hydra build is configured?

Pantxo


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed: Hydra job gnu:octave-default:coverage on x86_64-linux

Andreas Weber-4
Am 19.10.2014 um 14:22 schrieb Pantxo Diribarne:

> Looks like I forgot to include the new files in EXTRA_DIST. Does this
> changeset http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/217c455eac8f fix
> the hydra build?
>
> I tried to make a fresh clone, bootstrap and build out of source and
> still I couldn't reproduce the failure. What is different in the way
> hydra build is configured?

Just "make dist" in the build dir, untar it, ./configure, cd into doc
and run "make"

genpropdoc.m is a dependency for plot-*properties.texi which I think
shouldn't. If you want to distribute genpropdoc.m (I think we shouldn't)
with the dist tarball, are you sure genpropdoc.m runs after octave was
built? (for users which haven't had Octave installed yet)

Just my thoughts, Andy

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Failed: Hydra job gnu:octave-default:coverage on x86_64-linux

Pantxo
In reply to this post by Pantxo

>
> I tried to make a fresh clone, bootstrap and build out of source and
> still I couldn't reproduce the failure. What is different in the way
> hydra build is configured?
>
> Pantxo
>
>
>
I guess the answer is at page 4 of Mike's presentation [1]. Hydra first
builds source distribution and then builds this distribution tarball
(and genpropdoc.m was not present there).

Pantxo

[1] http://mtmxr.com/octave-hydra-slides

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed: Hydra job gnu:octave-default:coverage on x86_64-linux

Mike Miller
On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 17:14:01 +0200, Pantxo Diribarne wrote:

>
> >
> >I tried to make a fresh clone, bootstrap and build out of source and still
> >I couldn't reproduce the failure. What is different in the way hydra build
> >is configured?
> >
> >Pantxo
> >
> >
> >
> I guess the answer is at page 4 of Mike's presentation [1]. Hydra first
> builds source distribution and then builds this distribution tarball (and
> genpropdoc.m was not present there).

Yep. Thanks for pointing to my presentation and addressing the failure
so quickly :)

BTW, I changed the Hydra notification during OctConf to send to the
maintainers list, so this has been the first test of that new setup.

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 15:44:30 +0200, Andreas Weber wrote:
> genpropdoc.m is a dependency for plot-*properties.texi which I think
> shouldn't. If you want to distribute genpropdoc.m (I think we shouldn't)

I think we should distribute everything needed to build, even if only to
generate files that are also distributed. For example, we distribute the
built user manual, but we also distribute the Texinfo source and
supporting build scripts.

> with the dist tarball, are you sure genpropdoc.m runs after octave was
> built? (for users which haven't had Octave installed yet)

For now, it does by virtue of the doc subdirectory being built after the
src subdirectory in the order declared at the top level.

In the future, we hope to have a fully parallelized non-recursive build,
at which point there will have to be a dependency added on the octave
executable and the run-octave wrapper script (also applies to
doc/interpreter/images.mk).

--
mike

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Failed: Hydra job gnu:octave-default:coverage on x86_64-linux

Pantxo
In reply to this post by Pantxo
Sorry Andreas, I hadn't seen your reply.

Ok, I see now that both plot-*properties.texi and  genpropdoc.m are
distributed, which shouldn't happen as the latter is meant to build the
firsts.

I mainly followed images.mk example where both built images and the
original scripts (e.g. voronoi.eps and geometryimages.m) are distributed.

I think you are right that distributing .texi files should be enough, so
my last changeset should be backed out and I should remove genpropdoc.m
as a dependency for plot-*properties.texi.

A drawback is that modifying genpropdoc.m (which I hope will happen
often :-) won't trigger a rebuild of the doc any more.

What should I do?

Pantxo




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed: Hydra job gnu:octave-default:coverage on x86_64-linux

Pantxo
In reply to this post by Mike Miller
Le 19/10/2014 18:42, Mike Miller a écrit :

> On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 17:14:01 +0200, Pantxo Diribarne wrote:
>>> I tried to make a fresh clone, bootstrap and build out of source and still
>>> I couldn't reproduce the failure. What is different in the way hydra build
>>> is configured?
>>>
>>> Pantxo
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> I guess the answer is at page 4 of Mike's presentation [1]. Hydra first
>> builds source distribution and then builds this distribution tarball (and
>> genpropdoc.m was not present there).
> Yep. Thanks for pointing to my presentation and addressing the failure
> so quickly :)
>
> BTW, I changed the Hydra notification during OctConf to send to the
> maintainers list, so this has been the first test of that new setup.
>
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 15:44:30 +0200, Andreas Weber wrote:
>> genpropdoc.m is a dependency for plot-*properties.texi which I think
>> shouldn't. If you want to distribute genpropdoc.m (I think we shouldn't)
> I think we should distribute everything needed to build, even if only to
> generate files that are also distributed. For example, we distribute the
> built user manual, but we also distribute the Texinfo source and
> supporting build scripts.
>
>> with the dist tarball, are you sure genpropdoc.m runs after octave was
>> built? (for users which haven't had Octave installed yet)
> For now, it does by virtue of the doc subdirectory being built after the
> src subdirectory in the order declared at the top level.
>
> In the future, we hope to have a fully parallelized non-recursive build,
> at which point there will have to be a dependency added on the octave
> executable and the run-octave wrapper script (also applies to
> doc/interpreter/images.mk).
>
>
Thanks, I'll thus leave it as is.

Pantxo


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed: Hydra job gnu:octave-default:coverage on x86_64-linux

John W. Eaton
Administrator
In reply to this post by Pantxo
On 10/19/2014 12:58 PM, Pantxo Diribarne wrote:

> Sorry Andreas, I hadn't seen your reply.
>
> Ok, I see now that both plot-*properties.texi and  genpropdoc.m are
> distributed, which shouldn't happen as the latter is meant to build the
> firsts.
>
> I mainly followed images.mk example where both built images and the
> original scripts (e.g. voronoi.eps and geometryimages.m) are distributed.
>
> I think you are right that distributing .texi files should be enough, so
> my last changeset should be backed out and I should remove genpropdoc.m
> as a dependency for plot-*properties.texi.
>
> A drawback is that modifying genpropdoc.m (which I hope will happen
> often :-) won't trigger a rebuild of the doc any more.
>
> What should I do?

I'm not sure what the solution is, but the goal is to allow building
from a tarball release without requiring building the documentation.
However, tools for rebuilding everything should be included in the
tarball release so that users are able to modify the documentation or
the sources and have everything rebuilt automatically.

jwe