Finishing up 5.1.0 release

Rik-4
jwe,

I added the new release version 5.1.0 to the list of possibilities on the
Savannah bug tracker, and also removed the two release candidate versions
5.0.90 and 5.0.91.  I also added '+' to the OCTAVE_API_VERSION on the
development branch so that .oct files will not be compatible with the
stable release.  I checked off all items which have been completed at
https://wiki.octave.org/5.0.0_Release_Checklist#5.0.0_Release_Tasks.  It
seems the only thing left is to update the website, i.e., announce that the
latest version is 5.1.0 on the blog, update the documentation link to point
to version 5.1.0 of the HTML manual and version 5.1.0 of the PDF documentation.

--Rik

Re: Finishing up 5.1.0 release

siko1056
On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 12:34 AM Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
jwe,

I added the new release version 5.1.0 to the list of possibilities on the
Savannah bug tracker, and also removed the two release candidate versions
5.0.90 and 5.0.91.  I also added '+' to the OCTAVE_API_VERSION on the
development branch so that .oct files will not be compatible with the
stable release.  I checked off all items which have been completed at
https://wiki.octave.org/5.0.0_Release_Checklist#5.0.0_Release_Tasks.  It
seems the only thing left is to update the website, i.e., announce that the
latest version is 5.1.0 on the blog, update the documentation link to point
to version 5.1.0 of the HTML manual and version 5.1.0 of the PDF documentation.

--Rik

If no one is faster, I update the documentation (HTML, PDF) and Doxygen in a few minutes.

Regarding the release announcement, if you write a text jwe, I can put it to the website.  Otherwise, I can write a "default announcement":

> GNU Octave version 5.1.0 has been released and is now available for download. An official Windows binary installer is available. For macOS see the installation instructions in the wiki.
>
> This major release improves compatibility with Matlab and contains many new and improved functions. A list of important user-visible changes is available by selecting the Release Notes item in the News menu of the GUI or by typing news at the Octave command prompt.
>
> Thanks to the many people who contributed to this release!

Maybe we can highlight a few outstanding changes.  For example to my knowledge, Octave 5.1.0 improved the plotting a lot.  Some advertisement can be to run "compare_plot_demos" again?

Best,
Kai

Re: Finishing up 5.1.0 release

nrjank

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 03:10 Kai Torben Ohlhus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Maybe we can highlight a few outstanding changes.  For example to my knowledge, Octave 5.1.0 improved the plotting a lot.  Some advertisement can be to run "compare_plot_demos" again?

Best,
Kai

Isn’t this the first major release with the variable inspector/editor?

Re: Finishing up 5.1.0 release

siko1056
On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 2:15 PM Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

Isn’t this the first major release with the variable inspector/editor?

The variable editor came with 4.4 https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/NEWS-4.4.html.

--Rik

Re: Finishing up 5.1.0 release

On 2/25/19 6:34 PM, Rik wrote:

> jwe,
>
> I added the new release version 5.1.0 to the list of possibilities on the
> Savannah bug tracker, and also removed the two release candidate versions
> 5.0.90 and 5.0.91.  I also added '+' to the OCTAVE_API_VERSION on the
> development branch so that .oct files will not be compatible with the
> stable release.  I checked off all items which have been completed at
> https://wiki.octave.org/5.0.0_Release_Checklist#5.0.0_Release_Tasks.  It
> seems the only thing left is to update the website, i.e., announce that the
> latest version is 5.1.0 on the blog, update the documentation link to point
> to version 5.1.0 of the HTML manual and version 5.1.0 of the PDF documentation.

Thanks for taking care of all these additional tasks.  I'm wondering
whether there is anything we can do to make this process simpler or if
there is more we can automate.  Probably not, but it would be nice since
there seem to be a lot of details.

Re: Finishing up 5.1.0 release

khalil2535
This post was updated on .
what about this rss feed in gnu.org/software/octave

It's link : gnu.org/software/octave/feed.xml

<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/t373211/IPU17iS.png

5.1.0 pre-release

elmusrati

Hello,

Thank you very much for your great efforts.

I have installed the prelease of octave 5.1. The installation went fine (Windows 10). However, I received errors during packages installation. For example when tried to install signal packages I received long list of errors (given at the end of this email.

I think in future, it would be great if the way of packages installation has been changed to avoid some critical weaknesses like:

  1. There shouldn’t be dependency. Every packages should be standalone.  For example, many packages require the signal package. If an error occurred during the installation of the signal package, all other dependent packages will not be possible to  install them. This is a big weakness in the current configuration. I suggest to move all most common functions that are used extensively by other packages to the main Octave. This will be relatively very negligible increase in the size of the program.
  2. Packages installation should be simply coping all packages’ functions in certain pre-defined directory and add path to it like Matlab toolboxes (at least the old versions). There shouldn’t be errors due to packages installation.

Best Regards

Error list generated after trying to install signal packages!

cl2bp.cc: In function 'octave_value_list Fcl2bp(const octave_value_list&, int)':

cl2bp.cc:92:5: error: 'gripe_wrong_type_arg' was not declared in this scope

     gripe_wrong_type_arg ("cl2bp", args(0));

     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cl2bp.cc:92:5: note: suggested alternative: 'err_wrong_type_arg'

     gripe_wrong_type_arg ("cl2bp", args(0));

     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     err_wrong_type_arg

cl2bp.cc:97:5: error: 'gripe_wrong_type_arg' was not declared in this scope

     gripe_wrong_type_arg ("cl2bp", args(1));

     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cl2bp.cc:97:5: note: suggested alternative: 'err_wrong_type_arg'

     gripe_wrong_type_arg ("cl2bp", args(1));

     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     err_wrong_type_arg

cl2bp.cc:102:5: error: 'gripe_wrong_type_arg' was not declared in this scope

     gripe_wrong_type_arg ("cl2bp", args(2));

     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cl2bp.cc:102:5: note: suggested alternative: 'err_wrong_type_arg'

     gripe_wrong_type_arg ("cl2bp", args(2));

     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     err_wrong_type_arg

cl2bp.cc:107:5: error: 'gripe_wrong_type_arg' was not declared in this scope

     gripe_wrong_type_arg ("cl2bp", args(3));

cl2bp.cc:107:5: note: suggested alternative: 'err_wrong_type_arg'

     gripe_wrong_type_arg ("cl2bp", args(3));

     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     err_wrong_type_arg

cl2bp.cc:112:5: error: 'gripe_wrong_type_arg' was not declared in this scope

     gripe_wrong_type_arg ("cl2bp", args(4));

     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cl2bp.cc:112:5: note: suggested alternative: 'err_wrong_type_arg'

     gripe_wrong_type_arg ("cl2bp", args(4));

     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     err_wrong_type_arg

cl2bp.cc:129:5: error: 'gripe_wrong_type_arg' was not declared in this scope

     gripe_wrong_type_arg ("cl2bp", args(5));

     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cl2bp.cc:129:5: note: suggested alternative: 'err_wrong_type_arg'

     gripe_wrong_type_arg ("cl2bp", args(5));

     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     err_wrong_type_arg

make: *** [Makefile:40: cl2bp.o] Error 1

make: Entering directory '/c/Users/MOHAMM~1/AppData/Local/Temp/oct-zzeEu6/signal-1.4.0/src'

C:/Users/MOHAMM~1/DOWNLO~1/OCTAVE~1.0-W/OCTAVE~1.0-W/mingw64/bin/mkoctfile-5.1.0.exe -Wall -Wno-depre

cated-declarations  __fwht__.cc -o __fwht__.oct

C:/Users/MOHAMM~1/DOWNLO~1/OCTAVE~1.0-W/OCTAVE~1.0-W/mingw64/bin/mkoctfile-5.1.0.exe -Wall -Wno-depre

cated-declarations  __ultrwin__.cc -o __ultrwin__.oct

C:/Users/MOHAMM~1/DOWNLO~1/OCTAVE~1.0-W/OCTAVE~1.0-W/mingw64/bin/mkoctfile-5.1.0.exe -Wall -Wno-depre

cated-declarations  -c cl2bp.cc -o cl2bp.o

make: Leaving directory '/c/Users/MOHAMM~1/AppData/Local/Temp/oct-zzeEu6/signal-1.4.0/src'

pkg: error running `make' for the signal package.

error: called from

    configure_make at line 99 column 9

    install at line 184 column 7

    pkg at line 441 column 9

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

what about this rss feed in gnu.org/software/octave

It's the link : gnu.org/software/octave/feed.xml

<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/t373211/IPU17iS.png>

Re: 5.1.0 pre-release

nrjank
On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 11:51 AM Mohammed Elmusrati
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Thank you very much for your great efforts.
>

> I have installed the prelease of octave 5.1. The installation went fine (Windows 10). However, I received errors during packages installation. For example when tried to install signal packages I received long list of errors (given at the end of this email.
>

> I think in future, it would be great if the way of packages installation has been changed to avoid some critical weaknesses like:

1 - there is currently an open project on reworking the package
management system, and there is a regular review of what functions
belong in core octave versus a package.  If I recall correctly I
believe some recent changes to ode, image, and statistics functions
were the subject of that.

2 - did you install the release (5.1) or pre-release (5.0.91)?

3 - why did you need to install the signal package?  it comes
pre-installed with the Windows builds. I also believe some packages
have trouble building on Windows systems, which is why they have a
pre-installed set.  see:
https://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Microsoft_Windows

Re: 5.1.0 pre-release

PhilipNienhuis
elmusrati wrote
> Hello,
>
> Thank you very much for your great efforts.
>
> I have installed the prelease of octave 5.1. The installation went fine
> (Windows 10). However, I received errors during packages installation. For
> example when tried to install signal packages I received long list of
> errors (given at the end of this email.
> <snip>

These errors come about because you just didn't need to install the signal
package. It is already included, complete with all fixes for those errors
you saw.
All you have to do is type (in the Octave terminal):

pkg load signal

Philip

Re: 5.1.0 pre-release

Eddy Xiao

On 3/1/19 1:51 AM, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
These errors come about because you just didn't need to install the signal
package. It is already included, complete with all fixes for those errors
you saw.
All you have to do is type (in the Octave terminal):

pkg load signal

I probably had the same problem, the package seems exist (in \mingw64\share\octave\packages), but Octave do not know it (pkg list is empty). I have to do 'pkg rebuild' to make them work.

The binaries I run is unziped from octave-5.1.0-w64.7z.

Re: 5.1.0 pre-release

nrjank
On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 9:27 PM bewantbe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/1/19 1:51 AM, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
>
> These errors come about because you just didn't need to install the signal
>
> package. It is already included, complete with all fixes for those errors
> you saw.
> All you have to do is type (in the Octave terminal):
>
> pkg load signal
>
> I probably had the same problem, the package seems exist (in \mingw64\share\octave\packages), but Octave do not know it (pkg list is empty). I have to do 'pkg rebuild' to make them work.
>
> The binaries I run is unziped from octave-5.1.0-w64.7z.

That's the normal procedure.  The download page was recently updated
with details about the included packages with a link to the
installation instructions on the wiki.  After unzipping, you should
run 'post_install.bat' which will both update the font cache and do
the pkg rebuild.