Freetype font warning

12

Freetype font warning

Doug Stewart-4
Yesterday and today this warning

octave:1> plot(rand(22))
warning: update_text_extent: cannot render text, Freetype library not available
warning: update_text_extent: cannot render text, Freetype library not available
warning: update_tex

I am on ubuntu10.04 and I have libfreetype6 installed.
I am not sure what is wrong.
Doug

Re: Freetype font warning

bpabbott
Administrator
On Jan 21, 2011, at 1:32 PM, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yesterday and today this warning
>
> octave:1> plot(rand(22))
> warning: update_text_extent: cannot render text, Freetype library not available
> warning: update_text_extent: cannot render text, Freetype library not available
> warning: update_tex
>
> I am on ubuntu10.04 and I have libfreetype6 installed.
> I am not sure what is wrong.
> Doug

Doug, which backend are you using?

Ben

Re: Freetype font warning

Doug Stewart-4

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Jan 21, 2011, at 1:32 PM, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yesterday and today this warning
>
> octave:1> plot(rand(22))
> warning: update_text_extent: cannot render text, Freetype library not available
> warning: update_text_extent: cannot render text, Freetype library not available
> warning: update_tex
>
> I am on ubuntu10.04 and I have libfreetype6 installed.
> I am not sure what is wrong.
> Doug

Doug, which backend are you using?

Ben
The default   so I guess I am using gnuplot.   It makes a gplt window.
Also zoom does not work.

Re: Freetype font warning

bpabbott
Administrator
On Jan 21, 2011, at 01:53 PM, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 21, 2011, at 1:32 PM, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yesterday and today this warning
>
> octave:1> plot(rand(22))
> warning: update_text_extent: cannot render text, Freetype library not available
> warning: update_text_extent: cannot render text, Freetype library not available
> warning: update_tex
>
> I am on ubuntu10.04 and I have libfreetype6 installed.
> I am not sure what is wrong.
> Doug

Doug, which backend are you using?

Ben
The default   so I guess I am using gnuplot.   It makes a gplt window.
Also zoom does not work.

I was initially thinking that might be a gnuplot error, but I'm confident that isn't the case.

In any event, I don't see the warnings on either MacOS 10.6 or Ubuntu 10.0.4

What does the following return ...

octave_config_info().FT2_LIBS

On MacOS X I get ....

ans = -L/sw/lib -lfreetype -lz -Wl,-framework,CoreServices -Wl,-framework,ApplicationServices

On Ubuntu 10.04 I get ...

ans = -lfreetype -lz

If you get something different, then I'd guess configure didn't see freetype.

Ben

Re: Freetype font warning

Doug Stewart-4

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 3:23 PM, bpabbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Jan 21, 2011, at 01:53 PM, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 21, 2011, at 1:32 PM, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yesterday and today this warning
>
> octave:1> plot(rand(22))
> warning: update_text_extent: cannot render text, Freetype library not available
> warning: update_text_extent: cannot render text, Freetype library not available
> warning: update_tex
>
> I am on ubuntu10.04 and I have libfreetype6 installed.
> I am not sure what is wrong.
> Doug

Doug, which backend are you using?

Ben
The default   so I guess I am using gnuplot.   It makes a gplt window.
Also zoom does not work.

I was initially thinking that might be a gnuplot error, but I'm confident that isn't the case.

In any event, I don't see the warnings on either MacOS 10.6 or Ubuntu 10.0.4

What does the following return ...

octave_config_info().FT2_LIBS

On MacOS X I get ....

ans = -L/sw/lib -lfreetype -lz -Wl,-framework,CoreServices -Wl,-framework,ApplicationServices

On Ubuntu 10.04 I get ...

ans = -lfreetype -lz

If you get something different, then I'd guess configure didn't see freetype.

Ben

For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.

octave:1> octave_config_info().FT2_LIBS
ans =
octave:2>

Im on ubuntu 10.04
I am running it from
./run-octave
is this the problem?
Doug

Re: Freetype font warning

bpabbott
Administrator
On Jan 21, 2011, at 03:54 PM, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 3:23 PM, bpabbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 21, 2011, at 01:53 PM, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 21, 2011, at 1:32 PM, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yesterday and today this warning
>
> octave:1> plot(rand(22))
> warning: update_text_extent: cannot render text, Freetype library not available
> warning: update_text_extent: cannot render text, Freetype library not available
> warning: update_tex
>
> I am on ubuntu10.04 and I have libfreetype6 installed.
> I am not sure what is wrong.
> Doug

Doug, which backend are you using?

Ben
The default   so I guess I am using gnuplot.   It makes a gplt window
Also zoom does not work.

I was initially thinking that might be a gnuplot error, but I'm confident that isn't the case.

In any event, I don't see the warnings on either MacOS 10.6 or Ubuntu 10.0.4

What does the following return ...

octave_config_info().FT2_LIBS

On MacOS X I get ....

ans = -L/sw/lib -lfreetype -lz -Wl,-framework,CoreServices -Wl,-framework,ApplicationServices

On Ubuntu 10.04 I get ...

ans = -lfreetype -lz

If you get something different, then I'd guess configure didn't see freetype.

Ben

For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.

octave:1> octave_config_info().FT2_LIBS
ans =
octave:2>

Im on ubuntu 10.04
I am running it from
./run-octave
is this the problem?
Doug

The octave_config_info gives information about the configure process. The problem appears to be that the configure script didn't find FreeType.

Did you install "libfreetype6-dev". You can check by ...

apt-cache search libfreetype6

Ben

Re: Freetype font warning

David Bateman-2
bpabbott wrote:
> The octave_config_info gives information about the configure process. The
> problem appears to be that the configure script didn't find FreeType.
>
> Did you install "libfreetype6-dev". You can check by ...
>
> apt-cache search libfreetype6
>
> Ben

Ben,

I think the problem is that Octave shouldn't giving FreeType warnings
when using the gnuplot backend and FreeType isn't installed. This changeset

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/2be9e22796d2

added the warning and frankly it should only be warning of the absence
of FreeType is the gnuplot backend isn't being used.

D.

Re: Freetype font warning

Doug Stewart-4

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 5:45 PM, David Bateman <[hidden email]> wrote:
bpabbott wrote:
> The octave_config_info gives information about the configure process. The
> problem appears to be that the configure script didn't find FreeType.
>
> Did you install "libfreetype6-dev". You can check by ...
>
> apt-cache search libfreetype6
>
> Ben

Ben,

I think the problem is that Octave shouldn't giving FreeType warnings
when using the gnuplot backend and FreeType isn't installed. This changeset

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/2be9e22796d2

added the warning and frankly it should only be warning of the absence
of FreeType is the gnuplot backend isn't being used.

D.

libcoin40c2 - high-level 3D graphics kit with Open Inventor and VRML97 support - runtime
libcoin60 - high-level 3D graphics kit implementing the Open Inventor API
libfreetype6 - FreeType 2 font engine, shared library files
libfreetype6-dev - FreeType 2 font engine, development files
doug@doug-desktop:~/Desktop$

I do have it installed  so why does it not find it???
doug

Re: Freetype font warning

bpabbott

On Jan 21, 2011, at 5:45 PM, David Bateman wrote:

> bpabbott wrote:
>> The octave_config_info gives information about the configure process. The
>> problem appears to be that the configure script didn't find FreeType.
>>
>> Did you install "libfreetype6-dev". You can check by ...
>>
>> apt-cache search libfreetype6
>>
>> Ben
>>
> Ben,
>
> I think the problem is that Octave shouldn't giving FreeType warnings
> when using the gnuplot backend and FreeType isn't installed. This changeset
>
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/2be9e22796d2
>
> added the warning and frankly it should only be warning of the absence
> of FreeType is the gnuplot backend isn't being used.
>
> D.

I'll contact Kostas.

Thanks
Ben

Re: Freetype font warning

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
On 21 January 2011 16:58, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> libcoin40c2 - high-level 3D graphics kit with Open Inventor and VRML97
> support - runtime
> libcoin60 - high-level 3D graphics kit implementing the Open Inventor API
> libfreetype6 - FreeType 2 font engine, shared library files
> libfreetype6-dev - FreeType 2 font engine, development files
> doug@doug-desktop:~/Desktop$

The command is

     apt-cache policy libfreetype6-dev

not search. That just tells apt to search for all available packages
that contain the string "libfreetype6" somewhere in its description.
The policy command tells apt to output which packages are installed
and which one would be preferred on the next apt-get install command.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.

Re: Freetype font warning

Doug Stewart-4

2011/1/21 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]>
On 21 January 2011 16:58, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> libcoin40c2 - high-level 3D graphics kit with Open Inventor and VRML97
> support - runtime
> libcoin60 - high-level 3D graphics kit implementing the Open Inventor API
> libfreetype6 - FreeType 2 font engine, shared library files
> libfreetype6-dev - FreeType 2 font engine, development files
> doug@doug-desktop:~/Desktop$

The command is

    apt-cache policy libfreetype6-dev

not search. That just tells apt to search for all available packages
that contain the string "libfreetype6" somewhere in its description.
The policy command tells apt to output which packages are installed
and which one would be preferred on the next apt-get install command.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.

doug@doug-desktop:~/Desktop$ apt-cache policy libfreetype6-dev
libfreetype6-dev:
  Installed: 2.3.11-1ubuntu2.4
  Candidate: 2.3.11-1ubuntu2.4
  Version table:
 *** 2.3.11-1ubuntu2.4 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main Packages
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.3.11-1ubuntu2 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages
doug@doug-desktop:~/Desktop$

Re: Freetype font warning

bpabbott
Administrator
On Jan 21, 2011, at 6:41 PM, Doug Stewart wrote:

> 2011/1/21 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]>
> On 21 January 2011 16:58, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > libcoin40c2 - high-level 3D graphics kit with Open Inventor and VRML97
> > support - runtime
> > libcoin60 - high-level 3D graphics kit implementing the Open Inventor API
> > libfreetype6 - FreeType 2 font engine, shared library files
> > libfreetype6-dev - FreeType 2 font engine, development files
> > doug@doug-desktop:~/Desktop$
>
> The command is
>
>     apt-cache policy libfreetype6-dev
>
> not search. That just tells apt to search for all available packages
> that contain the string "libfreetype6" somewhere in its description.
> The policy command tells apt to output which packages are installed
> and which one would be preferred on the next apt-get install command.
>
> HTH,
> - Jordi G. H.
>
> doug@doug-desktop:~/Desktop$ apt-cache policy libfreetype6-dev
> libfreetype6-dev:
>   Installed: 2.3.11-1ubuntu2.4
>   Candidate: 2.3.11-1ubuntu2.4
>   Version table:
>  *** 2.3.11-1ubuntu2.4 0
>         500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main Packages
>         500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      2.3.11-1ubuntu2 0
>         500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages
> doug@doug-desktop:~/Desktop$

I see the same result. I'll do a pull and make and report back later.

Ben

Re: Freetype font warning

Konstantinos Poulios
On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 18:17 -0500, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2011, at 5:45 PM, David Bateman wrote:
>
> > bpabbott wrote:
> >> The octave_config_info gives information about the configure process. The
> >> problem appears to be that the configure script didn't find FreeType.
> >>
> >> Did you install "libfreetype6-dev". You can check by ...
> >>
> >> apt-cache search libfreetype6
> >>
> >> Ben
> >>
> > Ben,
> >
> > I think the problem is that Octave shouldn't giving FreeType warnings
> > when using the gnuplot backend and FreeType isn't installed. This changeset
> >
> > http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/2be9e22796d2
> >
> > added the warning and frankly it should only be warning of the absence
> > of FreeType is the gnuplot backend isn't being used.
> >
> > D.
>
> I'll contact Kostas.
>
> Thanks
> Ben

I can just remove the warning. This will disable the warning in the
"update_text_extent" function for both fltk and gnuplot. This was
actually the situation before the patch.

I think that freetype will be at some point in the future a prerequisite
for octave anyway, even when using gnuplot, just for estimating text
extents.

Should I just disable this warning for the moment?

Kostas

Re: Freetype font warning

bpabbott
Administrator
On Jan 22, 2011, at 5:58 AM, logari81 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 18:17 -0500, Ben Abbott wrote:

>>> Ben,
>>>
>>> I think the problem is that Octave shouldn't giving FreeType warnings
>>> when using the gnuplot backend and FreeType isn't installed. This changeset
>>>
>>> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/2be9e22796d2
>>>
>>> added the warning and frankly it should only be warning of the absence
>>> of FreeType is the gnuplot backend isn't being used.
>>>
>>> D.
>>
>> I'll contact Kostas.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ben
>
> I can just remove the warning. This will disable the warning in the
> "update_text_extent" function for both fltk and gnuplot. This was
> actually the situation before the patch.
>
> I think that freetype will be at some point in the future a prerequisite
> for octave anyway, even when using gnuplot, just for estimating text
> extents.

Good point.

> Should I just disable this warning for the moment?

Ok
Ben

Re: Freetype font warning

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
On 22 January 2011 04:58, logari81 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can just remove the warning. This will disable the warning in the
> "update_text_extent" function for both fltk and gnuplot. This was
> actually the situation before the patch.

However, Doug has libfreetype6-dev installed. Are you sure you're
checking for it correctly in configure?

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Freetype font warning

bpabbott
Administrator
On Jan 22, 2011, at 9:21 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> On 22 January 2011 04:58, logari81 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I can just remove the warning. This will disable the warning in the
>> "update_text_extent" function for both fltk and gnuplot. This was
>> actually the situation before the patch.
>
> However, Doug has libfreetype6-dev installed. Are you sure you're
> checking for it correctly in configure?
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Doug,

Jordi makes a good point. You can quickly see what configure found by ...

        $ grep -in -C 5 'checking for freetype' config.log

$ grep -in -C 5 'checking for freetype' config.log
34696-| GLvoid (*func)(...); gluTessCallback(0, 0, func);
34697-|   ;
34698-|   return 0;
34699-| }
34700-configure:31213: result: no
34701:configure:31452: checking for freetype-config
34702-configure:31470: found /sw/bin/freetype-config
34703-configure:31483: result: /sw/bin/freetype-config
34704:configure:31493: checking for FreeType -- version >= 9.0.3
34705-configure:31571: gcc-4.2 -o conftest -I/sw/include -m32 -O2 -g -D_THREAD_SAFE -pthread -I/sw/include/freetype2 -I/sw/include -I/sw/lib/flex/include -I/sw/include -m32 -I/sw/include/freetype2 -I/sw/include/qhull -I/usr/include -L/sw/lib/flex/lib -L/sw/lib -L/usr/lib -m32 conftest.c -L/sw/lib -lfreetype -lz -Wl,-framework,CoreServices -Wl,-framework,ApplicationServices -lm   >&5
34706-configure:31571: $? = 0
34707-configure:31571: ./conftest
34708-configure:31571: $? = 0
34709-configure:31585: result: yes

The above is for MacOS X. I get the equivalent for Ubuntu 10.04.

Ben

Re: Freetype font warning

Doug Stewart-4

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Jan 22, 2011, at 9:21 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> On 22 January 2011 04:58, logari81 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I can just remove the warning. This will disable the warning in the
>> "update_text_extent" function for both fltk and gnuplot. This was
>> actually the situation before the patch.
>
> However, Doug has libfreetype6-dev installed. Are you sure you're
> checking for it correctly in configure?
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Doug,

Jordi makes a good point. You can quickly see what configure found by ...

       $ grep -in -C 5 'checking for freetype' config.log

$ grep -in -C 5 'checking for freetype' config.log
34696-| GLvoid (*func)(...); gluTessCallback(0, 0, func);
34697-|   ;
34698-|   return 0;
34699-| }
34700-configure:31213: result: no
34701:configure:31452: checking for freetype-config
34702-configure:31470: found /sw/bin/freetype-config
34703-configure:31483: result: /sw/bin/freetype-config
34704:configure:31493: checking for FreeType -- version >= 9.0.3
34705-configure:31571: gcc-4.2 -o conftest -I/sw/include -m32 -O2 -g -D_THREAD_SAFE -pthread -I/sw/include/freetype2 -I/sw/include -I/sw/lib/flex/include -I/sw/include -m32 -I/sw/include/freetype2 -I/sw/include/qhull -I/usr/include -L/sw/lib/flex/lib -L/sw/lib -L/usr/lib -m32 conftest.c -L/sw/lib -lfreetype -lz -Wl,-framework,CoreServices -Wl,-framework,ApplicationServices -lm   >&5
34706-configure:31571: $? = 0
34707-configure:31571: ./conftest
34708-configure:31571: $? = 0
34709-configure:31585: result: yes

The above is for MacOS X. I get the equivalent for Ubuntu 10.04.

Ben

Sorry for such a dumb question -- where do I find config.log
Doug

Re: Freetype font warning

bpabbott
Administrator
On Jan 22, 2011, at 11:17 AM, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Jan 22, 2011, at 9:21 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> On 22 January 2011 04:58, logari81 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I can just remove the warning. This will disable the warning in the
>> "update_text_extent" function for both fltk and gnuplot. This was
>> actually the situation before the patch.
>
> However, Doug has libfreetype6-dev installed. Are you sure you're
> checking for it correctly in configure?
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Doug,

Jordi makes a good point. You can quickly see what configure found by ...

       $ grep -in -C 5 'checking for freetype' config.log

$ grep -in -C 5 'checking for freetype' config.log
34696-| GLvoid (*func)(...); gluTessCallback(0, 0, func);
34697-|   ;
34698-|   return 0;
34699-| }
34700-configure:31213: result: no
34701:configure:31452: checking for freetype-config
34702-configure:31470: found /sw/bin/freetype-config
34703-configure:31483: result: /sw/bin/freetype-config
34704:configure:31493: checking for FreeType -- version >= 9.0.3
34705-configure:31571: gcc-4.2 -o conftest -I/sw/include -m32 -O2 -g -D_THREAD_SAFE -pthread -I/sw/include/freetype2 -I/sw/include -I/sw/lib/flex/include -I/sw/include -m32 -I/sw/include/freetype2 -I/sw/include/qhull -I/usr/include -L/sw/lib/flex/lib -L/sw/lib -L/usr/lib -m32 conftest.c -L/sw/lib -lfreetype -lz -Wl,-framework,CoreServices -Wl,-framework,ApplicationServices -lm   >&5
34706-configure:31571: $? = 0
34707-configure:31571: ./conftest
34708-configure:31571: $? = 0
34709-configure:31585: result: yes

The above is for MacOS X. I get the equivalent for Ubuntu 10.04.

Ben

Sorry for such a dumb question -- where do I find config.log
Doug

It's in the root directory of your mercurial archive.

Ben

Re: Freetype font warning

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
On 22 January 2011 10:29, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2011, at 11:17 AM, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Sorry for such a dumb question -- where do I find config.log

> It's in the root directory of your mercurial archive.

Or more generally your the root of your build directory. Some of us do
out-of-source builds. :-)

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Freetype font warning

On 22-Jan-2011, Ben Abbott wrote:

| It's in the root directory of your mercurial archive.

More precisely, it's in the top-level build directory, which is
whatever directory you were in when you ran Octave's configure script.

That's the top of your hg archive only if you build in the source tree.

jwe
12