Function shaperead for octave

Alain Foehn
Hey !
I would like to know if it is possible to find an equivalent to the "shaperead" function of Matlab for Octave ?
This would be of great help, thanks !
Alain

Re: Function shaperead for octave

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 4 October 2012 05:20, Alain Foehn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would like to know if it is possible to find an equivalent to the
> "shaperead" function of Matlab for Octave ?

If it's not in this list:

    http://octave.sourceforge.net/functions_by_alpha.php

then please help us implement it, if you care enough.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Function shaperead for octave

c.-2

On 4 Oct 2012, at 11:20, Alain Foehn wrote:

> Hey !
> I would like to know if it is possible to find an equivalent to the "shaperead" function of Matlab for Octave ?
> This would be of great help, thanks !
> Alain

I am not aware of a function that goes by that name in either Octave or Octave Forge.
What does "shaperead" do? It might be possible to achieve the same functionality with a differently named function.
c.

Re: Function shaperead for octave

Juan Pablo Carbajal
On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4 Oct 2012, at 11:20, Alain Foehn wrote:
>
>> Hey !
>> I would like to know if it is possible to find an equivalent to the "shaperead" function of Matlab for Octave ?
>> This would be of great help, thanks !
>> Alain
>
> I am not aware of a function that goes by that name in either Octave or Octave Forge.
> What does "shaperead" do? It might be possible to achieve the same functionality with a differently named function.
> c.

Alain,

Check the recently updated octPROJ, if it is not there (with another
name) is unlikely we have it. This function is for the mapping toolbox
(which shuld and will be merged with octPROJ).
http://octave.sourceforge.net/octproj/index.html

If you have ideas how to implement the function please contact José
Luis (maintainer). He is looking for a programming buddy.

Cheers

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----

Re: Function shaperead for octave

Alain Foehn-2
Hey,
Thanks for the info, but the octPROJ is for cartographic projections
transformations.
This is also linked with GIS but is completely different. I want to
import points, lines or polygons into Octave from .shp files.
Unfortunately, I wouldn't know how to implement the function. However, I
guess the link http://shapelib.maptools.org/ could of interest.
Thanks !
Alain

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Alain Foehn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey,
> Thanks for the info, but the octPROJ is for cartographic projections
> transformations.
> This is also linked with GIS but is completely different. I want to import
> points, lines or polygons into Octave from .shp files.
> Unfortunately, I wouldn't know how to implement the function. However, I
> guess the link http://shapelib.maptools.org/ could of interest.
> Thanks !
> Alain
>

> Le 04.10.2012 15:24, Juan Pablo Carbajal a écrit :

>>> I am not aware of a function that goes by that name in either Octave or
>>> Octave Forge.
>>> What does "shaperead" do? It might be possible to achieve the same
>>> functionality with a differently named function.
>>> c.
>>
>> Alain,
>>
>> Check the recently updated octPROJ, if it is not there (with another
>> name) is unlikely we have it. This function is for the mapping toolbox
>> (which shuld and will be merged with octPROJ).
>> http://octave.sourceforge.net/octproj/index.html
>>
>> If you have ideas how to implement the function please contact José
>> Luis (maintainer). He is looking for a programming buddy.
>>
>> Cheers

Hi Alain,

In that case is a perfect feature request to geometry package. Could
you fill in a ticket with all the information you could gather. Thank
you very much!

https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/feature-requests/

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----

On 4 October 2012 10:08, Alain Foehn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Unfortunately, I wouldn't know how to implement the function. However, I
> guess the link http://shapelib.maptools.org/ could of interest.

I hope you're not suggesting you're also unable to learn how to
implement the function. I don't think anybody else right now knows
either, so if someone like you who cares about the function doesn't
implement it, probably nobody else will.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Function shaperead for octave

Alain Foehn-2
Hey all,
Thanks for your support and your quick answers this afternoon.
With further investigations, I found a package of functions for Matlab
working also under Octave having a function m_shaperead that does almost
what I am looking for. Just outputs are slightly different, but this
function is of great help. The package is available on

http://www2.ocgy.ubc.ca/~rich/map.html

I think it would be a good thing to have such a function available in a
"official" package for octave. I don't know the procedure for such an
addition, mostly with a function written by someone else. I think some
other functions could also be added to the mapping package of octave and
would reinforce Octave strength in GIS field (I am a new engineer in a
Alpine environment research centre and trying to show how Octave could
be a good replacement to Matlab, so such arguments are welcome...).
I will probably work on it next week a bit. Would you be interested by
the modified version (I had some warnings of "matlab-looking syntax" or
something like when I did tests today).
Thanks a lot again and greetings,

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 9:29 PM, Alain Foehn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey all,
> Thanks for your support and your quick answers this afternoon.
> With further investigations, I found a package of functions for Matlab
> working also under Octave having a function m_shaperead that does almost
> what I am looking for. Just outputs are slightly different, but this
> function is of great help. The package is available on
>
> http://www2.ocgy.ubc.ca/~rich/map.html
>
> I think it would be a good thing to have such a function available in a
> "official" package for octave. I don't know the procedure for such an
> addition, mostly with a function written by someone else. I think some other
> functions could also be added to the mapping package of octave and would
> reinforce Octave strength in GIS field (I am a new engineer in a Alpine
> environment research centre and trying to show how Octave could be a good
> replacement to Matlab, so such arguments are welcome...).
> I will probably work on it next week a bit. Would you be interested by the
> modified version (I had some warnings of "matlab-looking syntax" or
> something like when I did tests today).
> Thanks a lot again and greetings,
> Alain

Hi Alain,

Great job! Sadly the code is proprietary and cannot be distributed
with GNU Octave unless we get the owner to release under a GPL
compatible license.

The procedure is as follows. Just write an e-mail to the owner of the
package explaining our needs. Read these examples that I have send in
the past:
http://wiki.octave.org/Asking_for_package_to_be_release_under_GPL:_exmaples

Use them as templates if you want. I particularly like the ones I sent
to the Non-negative matrix factorization people. Do not forget to add
the OctaveForge mailing list ([hidden email]) in the
CC.

Once we have the package under GPL we can start the port.

Thank you!

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----
PhD Student
University of Zürich
http://ailab.ifi.uzh.ch/carbajal/

Re: Function shaperead for octave

Juan Pablo Carbajal
On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 9:29 PM, Alain Foehn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey all,
>> Thanks for your support and your quick answers this afternoon.
>> With further investigations, I found a package of functions for Matlab
>> working also under Octave having a function m_shaperead that does almost
>> what I am looking for. Just outputs are slightly different, but this
>> function is of great help. The package is available on
>>
>> http://www2.ocgy.ubc.ca/~rich/map.html
>>
>> I think it would be a good thing to have such a function available in a
>> "official" package for octave. I don't know the procedure for such an
>> addition, mostly with a function written by someone else. I think some other
>> functions could also be added to the mapping package of octave and would
>> reinforce Octave strength in GIS field (I am a new engineer in a Alpine
>> environment research centre and trying to show how Octave could be a good
>> replacement to Matlab, so such arguments are welcome...).
>> I will probably work on it next week a bit. Would you be interested by the
>> modified version (I had some warnings of "matlab-looking syntax" or
>> something like when I did tests today).
>> Thanks a lot again and greetings,
>> Alain
>
> Hi Alain,
>
> Great job! Sadly the code is proprietary and cannot be distributed
> with GNU Octave unless we get the owner to release under a GPL
> compatible license.
>
> The procedure is as follows. Just write an e-mail to the owner of the
> package explaining our needs. Read these examples that I have send in
> the past:
> http://wiki.octave.org/Asking_for_package_to_be_release_under_GPL:_exmaples
>
> Use them as templates if you want. I particularly like the ones I sent
> to the Non-negative matrix factorization people. Do not forget to add
> the OctaveForge mailing list ([hidden email]) in the
> CC.
>
> Once we have the package under GPL we can start the port.
>
> Thank you!
>
> --
> M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
> -----
> PhD Student
> University of Zürich
> http://ailab.ifi.uzh.ch/carbajal/

I am adding José to the list of e-mails. He is our mapping expert ;)

@José: What do you think of this package?
http://www2.ocgy.ubc.ca/~rich/map.html Does it complement octPROJ
nicely?

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----
PhD Student
University of Zürich
http://ailab.ifi.uzh.ch/carbajal/

Re: Function shaperead for octave

Alain Foehn-2
Hey !
Sorry for the delay of my answer.
I will study a bit more the package I found and then contact the owner
to see if we can integrate it under GPL compatible licence to future
Octave versions.
I'll keep you informed when there is something new.
Thanks for your support !
Alain