Fwd: [info] Octave Discord channel

nrjank
Administrator
How active is the Octave IRC these days?

I was in a seminar for an open source finite element tool, Elmer,  that addressed user issues and got into some discussion about how to enhance their contributor community.  I received the follow up copied below (trimmed to protect the innocent), from the person maintaining a Discord server for Elmer, Modelica, and others. I wasn't aware that there's a way to 'bridge' discord and IRC. Realizing we've decided to try moving a lot of communication to Discourse, is something like this worth pursuing?

Re: Fwd: [info] Octave Discord channel

apjanke-floss

On 3/12/21 10:38 AM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> How active is the Octave IRC these days?

Somewhat. There's a dozen or so regulars, including jwe and some core
contributors. There's a user question or a developer conversation a few
times a week.

> I was in a seminar for an open source finite element tool, Elmer,  that
> addressed user issues and got into some discussion about how to enhance
> their contributor community.  I received the follow up copied below
> (trimmed to protect the innocent), from the person maintaining a Discord
> server for Elmer, Modelica, and others. I wasn't aware that there's a
> way to 'bridge' discord and IRC. Realizing we've decided to try moving a
> lot of communication to Discourse, is something like this worth pursuing?

I'm not sure bridging them is an option or good idea: the #octave IRC on
freenode is a "no public logging, please" channel. Bridge it to Discord
and you've got public logging, and in another community too.

The #matlab and #octave channels on Modelica look pretty new and dead.
If you're interested in trying out Discord, you might also consider the
Matlab Discord, which is hopping, and gets a fair amount of
Octave-specific traffic.

https://discord.gg/bBMbNCT

Maybe a closer fit to Octave in subject matter. But maybe not a good fit
for the GNU Octave community: while officially an independent project
not run by MathWorks, there's plenty of MathWorkers there, including
among the administrators.

A while back we also had a brief look at Matrix, a distributed open
source chat server and competitor to Discord. I set up a little "Numeric
Cafe" community there for discussing numeric programming, with a channel
for Octave.

https://matrix.to/#/!lhiArLgEWzbSrDKDbK:matrix.org?via=matrix.org

This Matrix experiment got basically zero interest or traffic; I think
everyone decided they just preferred IRC. It's still up if you want to
try it, though.

I also tried setting up an IRC-to-Matrix bridge in a non-public-logging
manner, but there were technical difficulties (related to nickserv
stuff). Might have similar problems with IRC-to-Discord, even if the
public-logging isn't an issue.

What do you know about Modelica? Just how Open or Free Software are
they? Are they these folks: https://www.modelica.org/ ?

Cheers,
Andrew

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 11:14 AM Andrew Janke <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 3/12/21 10:38 AM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

I'm not sure bridging them is an option or good idea: the #octave IRC on
freenode is a "no public logging, please" channel. Bridge it to Discord
and you've got public logging, and in another community too.

that's a very good point.

This Matrix experiment got basically zero interest or traffic; I think
everyone decided they just preferred IRC. It's still up if you want to
try it, though.

I'm not really a heavy IRC user. Generally on systems where IRC connection isn't an option. email/discourse seem to serve my needs.

What do you know about Modelica? Just how Open or Free Software are
they? Are they these folks: https://www.modelica.org/

Yes, it's those folks. I'm not very familiar, but have heard of a number of open source scientific and engineering tools working with their tools. They tell me they are an association focused on "promoting the Modelica modeling language for modelling, simulation and programming of physical and technical systems and processes."  I've never used their tools myself.  And other than the BSD one I don't see their licences (https://www.modelica.org/licenses) listed for comparison (https://choosealicense.com/appendix/ or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_and_open-source_software_licences).

Re: Fwd: [info] Octave Discord channel

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2

>> What do you know about Modelica? Just how Open or Free Software are
>> they? Are they these folks: https://www.modelica.org/
>

> Yes, it's those folks. I'm not very familiar, but have heard of a number of open source scientific and engineering tools working with their tools. They tell me they are an association focused on "promoting the Modelica modeling language for modelling, simulation and programming of physical and technical systems and processes."  I've never used their tools myself.  And other than the BSD one I don't see their licences (https://www.modelica.org/licenses) listed for comparison (https://choosealicense.com/appendix/ or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_and_open-source_software_licences).

Is it not these guys?

https://www.openmodelica.org/

Open Modelica is the usual reference for open source Modelical modelling.

On 3/16/21 6:02 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:

>>> What do you know about Modelica? Just how Open or Free Software are
>>> they? Are they these folks: https://www.modelica.org/
>>

>> Yes, it's those folks. I'm not very familiar, but have heard of a number of open source scientific and engineering tools working with their tools. They tell me they are an association focused on "promoting the Modelica modeling language for modelling, simulation and programming of physical and technical systems and processes."  I've never used their tools myself.  And other than the BSD one I don't see their licences (https://www.modelica.org/licenses) listed for comparison (https://choosealicense.com/appendix/ or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_and_open-source_software_licences).
>
> Is it not these guys?
>
> https://www.openmodelica.org/
>
> Open Modelica is the usual reference for open source Modelical modelling.

So, looks like the Modelica Discord is just some dude who works with
Modelica and OpenModelica, and took it upone himself to set up a
community-oriented Discord server for Modelica discussion. (And ain't
nothin' wrong with that, and they did a good job!)

I get the Modelica (language/reference) vs OpenModelica (open
implementation) distinction now. (Though I still know nothing about
industry/practical usage.)

Bummer that Modelica is using a roll-your-own license. I have no idea
how to assess that.

Cheers,
Andrew

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 4:18 AM Andrew Janke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Yes, it's those folks. I'm not very familiar, but have heard of a number of open source scientific and engineering tools working with their tools. They tell me they are an association focused on "promoting the Modelica modeling language for modelling, simulation and programming of physical and technical systems and processes."  I've never used their tools myself.  And other than the BSD one I don't see their licences (https://www.modelica.org/licenses) listed for comparison (https://choosealicense.com/appendix/ or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_and_open-source_software_licences).
> >
> > Is it not these guys?
> >
> > https://www.openmodelica.org/
> >
> > Open Modelica is the usual reference for open source Modelical modelling.
>
> So, looks like the Modelica Discord is just some dude who works with
> Modelica and OpenModelica, and took it upone himself to set up a
> community-oriented Discord server for Modelica discussion. (And ain't
> nothin' wrong with that, and they did a good job!)
>
> I get the Modelica (language/reference) vs OpenModelica (open
> implementation) distinction now. (Though I still know nothing about
> industry/practical usage.)
>
> Bummer that Modelica is using a roll-your-own license. I have no idea
> how to assess that.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew

Hi,

I work at the technical university and several projects with industry
partners have used OpenModelica or Modelica (not myself). They use it
as you would use Simulink. Cases I know are:
- Power to gas (gas flow and reactors)
- Power grids (solar and wind energy into the regular grid)