GNU Octave 4.0.0 Released

The Octave developers are pleased to announce a major new release
of GNU Octave, version 4.0.0.

Octave 4.0 is a major new release with many new features,
including a graphical user interface, support for classdef
object-oriented programming, better compatibility with Matlab,
and many new and improved functions.

An official Windows binary installer is also available from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows

A list of important user-visible changes is available at
http://octave.org/NEWS-4.0, by selecting the Release Notes item in
the News menu of the GUI, or by typing "news" at the Octave command
prompt.

We hope you find Octave to be useful.  We could also use your help to
make Octave even better for the future, and further improve the user
experience for both novices and experts alike.

   * If you are a skilled software developer, you can help by
     contributing your time with Octave's development.
     See http://octave.org/get-involved for more information.

   * If Octave does not work properly, you are encouraged to report the
     problems you find.  Bug reporting guidelines are available at
     http://octave.org/bugs

   * Your contributions help to make Octave better.  Please see
     https://my.fsf.org/donate/working-together/octave

Commercial support options are also available.  Please see
http://octave.org/support for details.

The source code for Octave 4.0.0 is available for download at:

   http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave
   ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave

Please see http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html for mirror sites around
the world.  Or you may use http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/octave, which will
redirect automatically to a nearby mirror.

Links to binary (executable) versions for various systems will be
listed at http://octave.org/download as they become
available.

As always, many people contributed to this Octave release.  A complete
list of contributors may be found in the Octave manual.

About Octave:

GNU Octave is a high-level interpreted language, primarily intended
for numerical computations.  It provides capabilities for the
numerical solution of linear and nonlinear problems and for
performing other numerical experiments.  It also provides extensive
graphics capabilities for data visualization and manipulation.  Octave
is normally used through its interactive command line interface, but
it can also be used to write non-interactive programs.  The Octave
language is quite similar to Matlab so that most programs are easily
portable.  A full description of Octave capabilities is available at
http://octave.org/doc/interpreter

Re: GNU Octave 4.0.0 Released

nrjank

On Jun 3, 2015 4:45 PM, "John W. Eaton" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Octave developers are pleased to announce a major new release
> of GNU Octave, version 4.0.0.

Well done everyone. Been using it for a few days and I really like it. Might I suggest that the main graphic at the Octave homepage be updated to show the new interface? (At http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/ )

Re: GNU Octave 4.0.0 Released

vicnorton

On Jun 3, 2015, at 4:44 PM, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Octave developers are pleased to announce a major new release
> of GNU Octave, version 4.0.0.
>
> An official Windows binary installer is also available from
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows

Hopefully there will be a Mac version in the not too distant future! Unfortunately I'm just an Octave user. I've never been able to get Octave to compile on a Mac. I stopped trying a long time ago.

Regards,

Vic

Re: GNU Octave 4.0.0 Released

Lester Anderson
Hi all,

Just did a quick check and the signal processing packagae does not seem to be installed, Tukeywin for example was not found.

C:\Octave\octave-4.0.0\share\octave\4.0.0\m\signal

Have I missed something? Windows 7

Cheers
Lester

On 4 June 2015 at 02:13, Vic Norton <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jun 3, 2015, at 4:44 PM, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Octave developers are pleased to announce a major new release
> of GNU Octave, version 4.0.0.
>
> An official Windows binary installer is also available from
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows

Hopefully there will be a Mac version in the not too distant future! Unfortunately I'm just an Octave user. I've never been able to get Octave to compile on a Mac. I stopped trying a long time ago.

Regards,

Vic

Re: GNU Octave 4.0.0 Released

tmacchant
>Just did a quick check and the signal processing packagae does not seem to be installed, Tukeywin for example was not found.
>
>C:\Octave\octave-4.0.0\share\octave\4.0.0\m\signal
>

>Have I missed something? Windows 7
>

>Cheers
>Lester

From octave-3.8 for windows, the octave-forge packages are not pre-installed.
Easy way to install the octave-forge package is to use build_packages.m script.

>> C:\Octave\octave-4.0.0\src
>> build_packages

The script build_packages.m shipped with octave-4.0.0_0-installer has a bug.
Workaround at this moment,

Modify build_packages.m in C:\Octave\octave-4.0.0\src (you can use octave-gui editor)
general-1.3.4.tar.gz -> general-2.0.0.tar.gz
signal-1.3.1.tar.gz -> signal-1.3.2.tar.gz

before executing
>> build_packages

After the octave-forge packages are installed, confirm the install by
>> pkg list

If you want to the signal package is to be auto load, execute
>> pkg rebuild signal -auto

exit octave and restart octave.

And the execute again
>> pkg list
to confirm the signal package is loaded. (The loaded package is labeled by '*'.)

Oops. I have to mention one more thing.

The io package in  C:\Octave\octave-4.0.0\src is buggy.

For io package, execute under internet connection:
>> pkg install -forge io

Hope the above helps

Tatsuro