GNU Plot package installation error

injoi
do you know why I keep getting this error when I try and install gnuplot-4.6.0.tar.gz?

"package is missing file: COPYING
error: called from pkg>verify_directory (my home directory)
"
then a bunch of different errors from the pkg function...

any ideas?
Windows 7, intel Xeon(R) 3.3GHz

Thanks, Nohtal

Re: GNU Plot package installation error

Dmitri A. Sergatskov
On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM, injoi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> do you know why I keep getting this error when I try and install
> gnuplot-4.6.0.tar.gz?
>
> "package is missing file: COPYING
> error: called from pkg>verify_directory (my home directory)
> "
> then a bunch of different errors from the pkg function...
>
> any ideas?

Gnuplot is not an octave package.

Dmitri.

Re: GNU Plot package installation error

injoi
http://www.gnuplot.info/ seems to think that it is...There are also links to a 1.1.0 package in the sourceforge octave site (http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php).
Windows 7, intel Xeon(R) 3.3GHz

Thanks, Nohtal

Re: GNU Plot package installation error

Alexander Hansen-2
On 10/4/12 2:55 PM, injoi wrote:
> http://www.gnuplot.info/ seems to think that it is...

I see "It is also used as a plotting engine by third-party applications
like Octave" on that page, but it doesn't say you should install it
using Octave--and, indeed, you cannot.

There are also links to
> a 1.1.0 package in the sourceforge octave site
> (http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php).

That isn't the gnuplot tool, though.  According to the package
description from that page:

"Scripts to save data in gnuplot-readable formats, specify gnuplot
commands that will be used to produce graphics, and call gnuplot. See
help g_ez quickly produce the most common plots."

(Though I would argue that it is confusing to name the package just
"gnuplot")
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison

Re: GNU Plot package installation error

injoi
ah. Ok thanks for clearing that up.
Windows 7, intel Xeon(R) 3.3GHz

Thanks, Nohtal

Re: GNU Plot package installation error

Przemek Klosowski-7
On 10/04/2012 05:55 PM, injoi wrote:
> http://www.gnuplot.info/ seems to think that it is...There are also links to
> a 1.1.0 package in the sourceforge octave site
> (http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php).

Gnuplot is the original plotting backend to Octave; it is pretty much
built into octave, rather than being an installable package. The first
page you cite just says what I repeated above. Please take a look at the
second link to confirm that the 'gnuplot' package contains just some
scripts to output gnuplot-specific commandfiles, for offline plotting.
It is perhaps an unfortunate package name, because it invites the
misunderstanding that you fell into.

More importantly, are you having plotting problems? What happens if you
just use plotting, e.g. plot(sin(1:.2:20))

Re: GNU Plot package installation error

injoi
My plotting is working. I was just exploring some of the packages. And I have been running into errors when installing other packages (error: could't clean up after myself) so I thought this was related.
Windows 7, intel Xeon(R) 3.3GHz

Thanks, Nohtal