GPIB on cygwin

zchen

I followed this instruction on faking the gpib ni library for using gpib on
windows (cygwin):

https://wiki.octave.org/Instrument_control_package

I first ran the script from the page to setup the links.
However I received the follow error message in Octave (4.4.1):
error: gpib: Your system doesn't support the GPIB interface

please help.

Re: GPIB on cygwin

tmacchant
> From: zchen

> To: help-octave
> Date: 2019/3/6, Wed 09:30
> Subject: GPIB on cygwin
>

> I followed this instruction on faking the gpib ni library for using gpib on
> windows (cygwin):
>
> https://wiki.octave.org/Instrument_control_package
>
> I first ran the script from the page to setup the links.
> However I received the follow error message in Octave (4.4.1):
> error: gpib: Your system doesn't support the GPIB interface
>
> please help.

The script generates libgpib.a from dll file.
However, I wonder that pre-build binary involve it.
Perhaps it is required you to install|

>> pkg install -forge instrument-control

manually.

Re: GPIB on cygwin

tmacchant
>>  I followed this instruction on faking the gpib ni library for using gpib on
>>  windows (cygwin):
>>
>>  https://wiki.octave.org/Instrument_control_package
>>
>>  I first ran the script from the page to setup the links.
>>  However I received the follow error message in Octave (4.4.1):
>>  error: gpib: Your system doesn't support the GPIB interface
>>
>>  please help.
>>

> The script generates libgpib.a from dll file.
> However, I wonder that pre-build binary involve it.
> Perhaps it is required you to install|
>
>>>  pkg install -forge instrument-control
>
> manually.

From Reading the comment of script file,
you have to prepare NI libraries for GPIB on windows.

Do you have it?

If not please google, how to get it.

Tatsuro

Re: GPIB on cygwin

John Donoghue-3
On 3/6/19 1:58 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 18:30:05 -0600 (CST)
> From: zchen<[hidden email]>
> To:[hidden email]
> Subject: GPIB on cygwin
>

> I followed this instruction on faking the gpib ni library for using gpib on
> windows (cygwin):
>
> https://wiki.octave.org/Instrument_control_package
>
> I first ran the script from the page to setup the links.
> However I received the follow error message in Octave (4.4.1):
> error: gpib: Your system doesn't support the GPIB interface
>
> please help.

At a guess it didnt detect the gpib library in the configure part of the
pkg install.

Can you rerun the pkg install command with the -verbose option added and
provide the install output ?

Re: GPIB on cygwin

John Donoghue-3
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 18:30:05 -0600 (CST)
From: zchen[hidden email]
[hidden email]
Subject: GPIB on cygwin
Message-ID:[hidden email]

I followed this instruction on faking the gpib ni library for using gpib on
windows (cygwin):

https://wiki.octave.org/Instrument_control_package

I first ran the script from the page to setup the links.
However I received the follow error message in Octave (4.4.1):
error: gpib: Your system doesn't support the GPIB interface

please help.

At a guess it didnt detect the gpib library in the configure part of the pkg install.

Can you rerun the pkg install command with the -verbose option added and provide the install output ?

Also accoring to the script, you needed to enable C/C++ support and the measurement and automation explorer, so that it can find ni4882.h and ni4882.dll, so can you verify they are there, and that the script from the page created a valid link to the .h file as /usr/include/gpib/ib.h, and created a .lib file of /usr/lib/libgpib.a

Re: GPIB on cygwin

zchen

pkg -install -forge instrument-control

did the trick (had to install octave-development version).
Thanks for all your help.

Re: GPIB on cygwin

tmacchant
--- zchen

> pkg -install -forge instrument-control
>
> did the trick (had to install octave-development version).
> Thanks for all your help.

lt do not the trick.
The NI GPIB driver is proprietary software
then pre-build octave-forge package cannot link it to avoid GPL violation. The users theirselves should build them with linking it.

Preparation of include files and a library file is carried out by the preparation script and then

>> pkg install -forge instrument-control

installs instrument-control package with GPIB functionality.

Tatsuro

Re: GPIB on cygwin

zchen
Thank you again for all the help!

In fact,  GPIB works under the Windows native version (mingw) as well.

I basically followed the same process:

1. Make a directory, e.g., in c:\Octave\Octave-4.4.1\include\gpib\, and put
ib.h in it.

2. Copy libgpib.a into c:\Octave\Octave-4.4.1\lib\.  (you can use the one
from cygwin or make a new one in mingw using dlltool)

3. In Octave, run
pkg install -forge instrument-control

Re: GPIB on cygwin

marco atzeri-2
Am 06.03.2019 um 01:30 schrieb zchen:

> I followed this instruction on faking the gpib ni library for using gpib on
> windows (cygwin):
>
> https://wiki.octave.org/Instrument_control_package
>
> I first ran the script from the page to setup the links.
> However I received the follow error message in Octave (4.4.1):
> error: gpib: Your system doesn't support the GPIB interface
>
> please help.

questions:
- have you installed the cygwin "octave-instrument-control" package ?
- do you have the ni4882.dll and the ni4882.h files in your computer ?
- have you installad the "binutils" package ?
- any error running the script ?

---