[GSoC 2020] Blog posts

siko1056
Dear Abdallah,

Thank you for your second blog post.

I like your design telling what you did and what you are going to do.
This makes it easy for me to follow your work.  In general, should not
be too verbose, but you leave the reader (me) curious about what
Oct-File experiments did you do? ;-)  Maybe you can post some
interesting examples and what you learned compiling/altering them?  Same
for when you freshed up your knowledge.  For example share useful links,
amazing bash "one-liners", rules-of-thumb, that helped you doing this.
When referring to discussions of the mailing-list, it is helpful to
provide a link to them, e.g.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2020-05/msg00120.html

   or

https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Extending-configure-ac-td4697219.html

Finally, does updating the GitHub repository work as expected?  Do you
face difficulties?

Happy hacking,
Kai

Re: [GSoC 2020] Blog posts

Abdallah Elshamy
On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 9:55 AM Kai Torben Ohlhus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Abdallah,

Thank you for your second blog post.

I like your design telling what you did and what you are going to do.
This makes it easy for me to follow your work.  In general, should not
be too verbose, but you leave the reader (me) curious about what
Oct-File experiments did you do? ;-)  Maybe you can post some
interesting examples and what you learned compiling/altering them?  Same
for when you freshed up your knowledge.  For example share useful links,
amazing bash "one-liners", rules-of-thumb, that helped you doing this.
When referring to discussions of the mailing-list, it is helpful to
provide a link to them, e.g.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2020-05/msg00120.html

   or

https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Extending-configure-ac-td4697219.html

I am very glad that you liked the design.
I also updated my second blog post [1] (I didn't show Oct-File examples only description, because I thought that it is not important to keep and deleted them.)
I will be applying those notes in the future blog posts, thanks for your advice.

Finally, does updating the GitHub repository work as expected?  Do you
face difficulties?

Every thing is good so far. As you can see my fork [2] is in sync with the mirror [3]

Yours,
Abdallah

Re: [GSoC 2020] Blog posts

siko1056
On 5/24/20 7:47 AM, Abdallah Elshamy wrote:

> [...]
> I also updated my second blog post [1] (I didn't show Oct-File examples
> only description, because I thought that it is not important to keep and
> deleted them.)
> I will be applying those notes in the future blog posts, thanks for your
> advice.
>
> [...]
>
> Every thing is good so far. As you can see my fork [2] is in sync with
> the mirror [3]
>
> Yours,
> Abdallah
>
> [1]
> https://abdallahshamy.wordpress.com/2020/05/21/community-bonding-report-2/
> [2] https://github.com/Abdallah-Elshamy/octave
> [3] https://github.com/mtmiller/octave

Abdallah, Thank you for the update.  I am looking forward for your next
posts.

Kai

Re: [GSoC 2020] Blog posts

Nir Krakauer-3
Hi Abdallah,

Thanks for the blog posts. It's also important to make a post during
the bonding period that gives your best assessment of your summer
project schedule and milestones, including targets for each evaluation
date, and discuss it with your mentors. That will help keep everyone's
expectations aligned in terms of what you will actually do for the
project.

--Nir

Re: [GSoC 2020] Blog posts

Abdallah Elshamy

On Mon, May 25, 2020, 3:59 PM Nir Krakauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Abdallah,

Thanks for the blog posts. It's also important to make a post during
the bonding period that gives your best assessment of your summer
project schedule and milestones, including targets for each evaluation
date, and discuss it with your mentors. That will help keep everyone's
expectations aligned in terms of what you will actually do for the
project.

--Nir

Dear Nir,

Thanks for reaching out and providing feedback. I will be posting the timeline and milestones. It is definitely a good idea to let readers know it. I also discussed it with my mentor before I was accepted.

Thanks for your time,
Abdallah