[GSoC 2020] Coding starts

siko1056
Dear Abdallah,

Again, thank you for your last blog post.  Your timeline looks great.

Your code example was nice to play around with and to fresh up my memory
about RapidJSON.  One thing I noticed was, that you avoided range-based
for loops (C++11) [1].  E.g.

  for (Value::ConstMemberIterator itr = d1.MemberBegin ();
       itr != d1.MemberEnd () ; ++itr)
    {
      if (! itr->value.IsNumber ())
        error ("values must be numbers");
    }

versus

  for (const auto& itr : d1.GetObject ())
    {
      if (! itr.value.IsNumber ())
        error ("values must be numbers");
    }

Since about 2016 [2] Octave uses C++11.  Some features, as shown above,
make the code more readable and less error prone.  But looking at Andy's
implementation, maybe we will not get too deep into it.

Another small but important remark is to not copy any text, code,
anything from Matlab.

> "My goal here is to make the test suite covers all cases that
> jsonencode and jsondecode cover in the official documentation of
> MATLAB [...]"

Some modifications should be made.

Are you going to push the code for your test suite in your GitHub repo
[3]?  I want to check regularly about the progress.

Good luck with your exams.  After they are finished, we can have another
video chat, if you don't like to talk before that.

Happy hacking,
Kai

[1] https://rapidjson.org/md_doc_tutorial.html#autotoc_md47
[2]
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2016-02/msg00141.html
[3] https://github.com/Abdallah-Elshamy/octave

Re: [GSoC 2020] Coding starts

Abdallah Elshamy
Greetings,

Another small but important remark is to not copy any text, code,
anything from Matlab.

> "My goal here is to make the test suite covers all cases that
> jsonencode and jsondecode cover in the official documentation of
> MATLAB [...]"

Some modifications should be made.

What I meant here is that I will cover the conversion cases. E.g. from boolean JSON data type to scalar logical. I updated the blog post [1] to clarify that. Thanks for the remark.

Are you going to push the code for your test suite in your GitHub repo
[3]?  I want to check regularly about the progress.

Yes, I will be making a branch called "test-suite" to which I will push the code.

Good luck with your exams.  After they are finished, we can have another
video chat, if you don't like to talk before that.

Thanks a lot. I don't mind talking before that at all.

Best wishes,
Abdallah

Re: [GSoC 2020] Coding starts

siko1056
On 6/2/20 8:20 PM, Abdallah Elshamy wrote:

>     Are you going to push the code for your test suite in your GitHub repo
>     [1]?  I want to check regularly about the progress.
>

> Yes, I will be making a branch called "test-suite" to which I will push
> the code.
>

>     Good luck with your exams.  After they are finished, we can have another
>     video chat, if you don't like to talk before that.
>

> Thanks a lot. I don't mind talking before that at all.
>

> Best wishes,
> Abdallah

Abdallah,

In your repository [1] can you enable the "issues" [2] again?  This
might facilitate our conversation a lot.

Do you join the developer meeting [3] today?  It might be interesting to
follow, even though your GSoC project might not be on the agenda.  I
plan to attend as well.

About another smaller meeting of us (probably next week, at the end of
your exams), I get in contact with you soon.

Happy hacking,
Kai

[1] https://github.com/Abdallah-Elshamy/octave
[2]
https://help.github.com/en/enterprise/2.15/user/articles/disabling-issues
[3]
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2020-06/msg00020.html

Re: [GSoC 2020] Coding starts

Abdallah Elshamy
On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 10:44 AM Kai Torben Ohlhus <[hidden email]> wrote:
In your repository can you enable the "issues" again?  This
might facilitate our conversation a lot.

I have enabled it [1].

Do you join the developer meeting today?  It might be interesting to
follow, even though your GSoC project might not be on the agenda.  I
plan to attend as well.

I plan to attend it too. I think it will be interesting.

About another smaller meeting of us (probably next week, at the end of
your exams), I get in contact with you soon.

Great! I look forward to seeing you soon.

Best,
Abdallah