[GSoC 2020] Octave git-mirrors

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[GSoC 2020] Octave git-mirrors

siko1056
Mike,

Our GSoC student Abdallah is interested in using GitHub for his project
this year [1].  Therefore, we chose your git-mirror on GitHub [2] as his
upstream repository.

Is there a way we can help you to maintain / update your GitHub
repository?  Obtaining weekly updates from Octave's main repository
would be nice to keep up with the latest changes.

Personally, I am interested how you update that repo.  Do you run some
conversion script on your local machine?

Kai


[1]
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2020-05/msg00045.html
[2] https://github.com/mtmiller/octave

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GSoC 2020] Octave git-mirrors

Mike Miller-4
On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 17:34:08 +0900, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
> Our GSoC student Abdallah is interested in using GitHub for his project
> this year [1].  Therefore, we chose your git-mirror on GitHub [2] as his
> upstream repository.

Great, thanks for pointing out that option and finding it useful.

> Is there a way we can help you to maintain / update your GitHub
> repository?  Obtaining weekly updates from Octave's main repository
> would be nice to keep up with the latest changes.

No help needed with updating. If Abdallah is going to be making Octave
contributions as GitHub PRs, then of course please help review and
refine those to our standard contribution guidelines, and I'll be
willing to push them upstream when they are ready.

> Personally, I am interested how you update that repo.  Do you run some
> conversion script on your local machine?

Yes, I do all of my Octave work with git now using git-cinnabar [1], and
as a side effect I push the converted history to GitHub and Gitlab. I
can describe the setup if you think it would be useful.

[1]: https://github.com/glandium/git-cinnabar

--
mike

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GSoC 2020] Octave git-mirrors

Abdallah Elshamy
Greetings,

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 7:24 PM Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 17:34:08 +0900, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
> Our GSoC student Abdallah is interested in using GitHub for his project
> this year [1].  Therefore, we chose your git-mirror on GitHub [2] as his
> upstream repository.

Great, thanks for pointing out that option and finding it useful.

The project now reached a stage in which we want to push changes to Octave.

Can you please update your mirror [1] ?

Thanks for your time and effort,
Abdallah

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GSoC 2020] Octave git-mirrors

siko1056
On 8/14/20 10:41 PM, Abdallah Elshamy wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 7:24 PM Mike Miller <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 17:34:08 +0900, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
>     > Our GSoC student Abdallah is interested in using GitHub for his
>     project
>     > this year [1].  Therefore, we chose your git-mirror on GitHub [2]
>     as his
>     > upstream repository.
>
>     Great, thanks for pointing out that option and finding it useful.
>
>
> The project now reached a stage in which we want to push changes to Octave.
>
> Can you please update your mirror [1] ?
>
> Thanks for your time and effort,
> Abdallah
>


Mike, was it possible to update your git-mirror [1] again?

To safe you this effort, was it possible to describe your setup?  You
mentioned that you use git-cinnabar [2].  So far I did not find the
right tweaks to only push the default and stable branch.  Then I can
host an automatically updated git mirror, too.

If you are further interested, you might consider moving your git mirror
in some GitHub organization [3,4].

Thank you,
Kai


[1] https://github.com/mtmiller/octave/
[2] https://github.com/glandium/git-cinnabar
[3] https://github.com/gnu-octave
[4] https://octave.discourse.group/t/github-organization-for-gnu-octave/178