GSoC 2020

Nir Krakauer-3
Now would be the time to apply again to participate as an organization for Google Summer of Code [1]. What do you think? Who wants to be an admin for the organization?

--Nir

Re: GSoC 2020

siko1056
On 1/25/20 12:30 AM, Nir Krakauer wrote:
> Now would be the time to apply again to participate as an organization
> for Google Summer of Code [1]. What do you think? Who wants to be an
> admin for the organization?
>
> --Nir
>
> [1] https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline

Thanks for the reminder Nir.  Octave should at least apply for GSoC
again to stay in touch with the program and maybe more interesting
participants show up this year.  Getting attention by younger
generations of students might be beneficial too, even though they do not
spend their GSoC with Octave.

I can be an admin/mentor again.  Nir, would you like to take the
traditional leadership of the GSoC application again?

Best,
Kai

P.S.:  Some wiki sites should get polished [1-3].  I can take care of
some in the coming days.

Dear maintainers, I would like to ask you to move your projects from [1]
to [2] you are no longer interested in to mentor, or at least to remove
your name.  I think last year, or the year before, students were
disappointed to apply for projects nobody was really willing to mentor.

Thank you in advance.

[1] https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas
[2] https://wiki.octave.org/Projects
[3] https://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_2019_application

Re: GSoC 2020

nrjank
Dear maintainers, I would like to ask you to move your projects from [1]
to [2] you are no longer interested in to mentor, or at least to remove
your name.  I think last year, or the year before, students were
disappointed to apply for projects nobody was really willing to mentor.

Thank you in advance.

[1] https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas
[2] https://wiki.octave.org/Projects
[3] https://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_2019_application

We don't actually capture a summary of the end state of GSOC projects, do we?  We have a list (none in 2019, correct?) with links to the students' GSOC blogs [1].  Would it be useful to apply some sort of a 'status' column to those projects tables?  (Active, complete/merged, code submitted pending review, needs work: partially completed, needs rework, etc?)  Looking at that list I was wondering how many have had things 'completed' after the summer vs just collecting dust, since it lives outside our normal bug/patch tracker with status/age tracking.  (e.g., I co-mentored 2018 code suggestion feature. I think it was ready for consideration for merging but then went stale. I assume I'm not the only case of that.)  I think it would be useful for us on the org side to track how we're doing. Are there people around who could tag most of that list?

nickj

Re: GSoC 2020

Ankit
Hello,

Yes! It would be nice to get attention from new contributors especially students. I think we need to put the smaller module for octave. It would make them interested for participation.

Would love to be co-admin  there..

Thanks,
Ankit Raj

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 11:31 PM Nir Krakauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Now would be the time to apply again to participate as an organization for Google Summer of Code [1]. What do you think? Who wants to be an admin for the organization?

--Nir

Re: GSoC 2020

Nir Krakauer-3
Thanks, it would be great to revise the projects list as needed. I
created a page for this year's application:
https://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_2020_application

Re: GSoC 2020

Carlo de Falco-2

Il giorno 24 gen 2020, alle ore 16:30, Nir Krakauer <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

Now would be the time to apply again to participate as an organization for Google Summer of Code [1]. What do you think? Who wants to be an admin for the organization?

--Nir

Hi,
I am available as a backup admin and I also have a few projects I might be interested in mentoring this year.
The list of project ideas, as others noted, is need of a review, I'll fix those that list me as possible mentor ASAP.
c.

Re: GSoC 2020

Nir Krakauer-3
We got accepted to participate [1].
Let me know if you're interested in evaluating proposals and mentoring
over the summer, and encourage any interested students to start on
their applications [2].

[1] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/4930645207285760/
[2] https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_-_Getting_Started