GSoC: feedback on public application and other inquiries

GSoC: feedback on public application and other inquiries

Abdallah Elshamy
Hello all,
My name is Abdallah Elshamy and I am looking forward to contribute in octave.

I started by building octave. Then, To show my enthusiasm ; I submitted a batch (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?50247) and I am still waiting for response.

Then I followed GSoC wiki page instructions and started filling my public application and I would like to know if there is anything that needs to be illustrated more and if I missed anything.
This is my public application:  https://wiki.octave.org/User:Abdallah_Elshamy

Also, I have another question:
Regarding the project I plan to work on,
Is it better to discuss the details of my proposal (deliverables,time line, milestone .. etc) here on the maintainers mailing list or it is better to contact the mentor of the project  privately?

Thanks in advance
Abdallah

Re: GSoC: feedback on public application and other inquiries

nrjank
Administrator
On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 5:43 PM Abdallah Elshamy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,
My name is Abdallah Elshamy and I am looking forward to contribute in octave.

I started by building octave. Then, To show my enthusiasm ; I submitted a batch (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?50247) and I am still waiting for response.

I'll let others comment on the rest, but is that the correct bug link? that seems to go to one of my patches.

Re: GSoC: feedback on public application and other inquiries

siko1056
On 2/27/20 9:58 AM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

> On 2/27/20 7:29 AM, Abdallah Elshamy wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > My name is Abdallah Elshamy and I am looking forward to contribute in
> > octave.
> >
> > I started by building octave. Then, To show my enthusiasm ; I submitted
> > a batch (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?50247) and I am still
> > waiting for response.
> >
> > Then I followed GSoC wiki page instructions and started filling my
> > public application and I would like to know if there is anything that
> > needs to be illustrated more and if I missed anything.
> > This is my public application:
> > https://wiki.octave.org/User:Abdallah_Elshamy
> >
> > Also, I have another question:
> > Regarding the project I plan to work on,
> > Is it better to discuss the details of my proposal (deliverables,time
> > line, milestone .. etc) here on the maintainers mailing list or it is
> > better to contact the mentor of the project  privately?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Abdallah
>

> I'll let others comment on the rest, but is that the correct bug link?
> that seems to go to one of my patches.

The correct bug link should be "Missing Matlab functions: startsWith and
endsWith" [1].  Your patch [2] looks good by quick review, be patient
until someone finds more time to fully review and include your work.
Your patch submission is much more important for GSoC selection than
it's actual inclusion into Octave core that should not be rushed.

Can you describe in your public application page [3] the topic "Your
task" from the template [4].  Don't be shy communicating publicly with
us.  If your schedule is too ambitious or easy, we'll tell you.  But
first you should talk about your project to give us an insight into your
plans.

Best,
Kai

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?57041
[2] https://savannah.gnu.org/support/download.php?file_id=48483
[3] https://wiki.octave.org/User:Abdallah_Elshamy
[4] hhttps://wiki.octave.org/Student_Application_Template#Y:_Your_task

Re: GSoC: feedback on public application and other inquiries

Abdallah Elshamy
Sorry for copying the wrong link the patch.

Regarding giving insights about my plan,
I am reading about the project I am interested in (OCS) and I will discuss what I intend to do here after I gather more information. I thought maybe it's better to get feedback on the public application while doing so.

Thanks for your time,
Abdallah