GUI freezes

Josef Fydl
Please help,
J have octave 3.8 on MAC El Capitane  installed with dmg and works perfectly.

Tried to install 4.2 with macport and could not.
Finally installed with brew. It works, but I can not exit. GUI hangs up and I have to restart, sometimes cursor shows busy state that I can not even invoke  restart

Thanks Josef Frydl

Re: GUI freezes

Sebastian Schöps
Josef Fydl wrote
Finally installed with brew. It works, but I can not exit. GUI hangs up and I have to restart, sometimes cursor shows busy state that I can not even invoke  restart
I am maintaining the brew formula and I am aware of this problem. I think there is also a bug report on this issues. However, I typically disable the GUI but if I am using it, it can be stopped by executing "killall octave-gui" in Terminal.app.
It's a pity but the GUI is not well supported on macOS. There are many more problems, e.g. when using high-resolution displays [1]. Most of them are related to the recent transition qt5. I recommend to not use the GUI on macOS and instead call "octave-cli".

If you are a macOS user and familiar with qt5 we could use your help!

Sebastian

[1] http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?49053