GUI - start?

12
jkr

GUI - start?

jkr
I have installed Octave 3.8.2 (using fink), a major feature of which is supposed to be the GUI.  As noted http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/, this is not the default interface yet.  It is said there that to start the gui what is needed is --force-gui.  I have tried, from a bash shell: octave --force-gui.  I just get a command line interface.  Clearly, I'm missing something.  Clues?

Re: GUI - start?

Alexander Hansen-2

> On Dec 1, 2014, at 10:15 AM, jkr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have installed Octave 3.8.2 (using fink), a major feature of which is
> supposed to be the GUI.  As noted http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/, this
> is not the default interface yet.  It is said there that to start the gui
> what is needed is --force-gui.  I have tried, from a bash shell: octave
> --force-gui.  I just get a command line interface.  Clearly, I'm missing
> something.  Clues?

What build variant did you install?  E.g. check that with “fink list -it octave”  Only those with “qtmac” or “qtx11” in their names include the GUI.

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison

Re: GUI - start?

Thomas D. Dean-2
On 12/01/14 10:15, jkr wrote:
> I have installed Octave 3.8.2 (using fink), a major feature of which is
> supposed to be the GUI.  As noted http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/, this
> is not the default interface yet.  It is said there that to start the gui
> what is needed is --force-gui.  I have tried, from a bash shell: octave
> --force-gui.  I just get a command line interface.  Clearly, I'm missing
> something.  Clues?

Do you have an alias defined for octave?

Tom Dean

Re: GUI - start?

Andreas Weber-4
Am 01.12.2014 um 19:15 schrieb jkr:
> I have installed Octave 3.8.2 (using fink), a major feature of which is
> supposed to be the GUI.  As noted http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/, this
> is not the default interface yet.  It is said there that to start the gui
> what is needed is --force-gui.  I have tried, from a bash shell: octave
> --force-gui.  I just get a command line interface.  Clearly, I'm missing
> something.  Clues?

I never ever used MacOS but when I read
http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/octave382

..The "-x11" variant has built-in FLTK graphics which use X11 rather
than the default Aqua. The "-qtmac" variant builds a GUI which uses Qt
on Aqua, while the "-qtx11" variant builds an X11 Qt GUI...

so I guess you have to install octave-qtmac or octave-qtx11.

Does this help?
-- Andy

Re: GUI - start?

sshah
Given that these questions are recurring-I went through the same set of questions with you about ten days ago, may I humbly suggest to update the information on Octave Wiki ( http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X ) ?

On Dec 1, 2014, at 10:38 AM, Sunil Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:

Given that these questions are recurring-I went through the same set of questions with you about ten days ago, may I humbly suggest to update the information on Octave Wiki ( http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X ) ?

That sounds like a good idea.

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison

jkr

Re: GUI - start?

jkr
Alexander,

I got to 3.8.2 using fink update-all after configuring to not restrict to stable (my local octave installation was at 3.8.1 before that). fink list -it octave yields:

 i fink-octave-scripts 0.3.3-1 Convenience scripts for Octave add-ons
 p liboctave382 [virtual package]
 p liboctave382-accelerate [virtual package]
 p liboctave382-accelerate-dev [virtual package]
 p liboctave382-aqua [virtual package]
 p liboctave382-aqua-dev [virtual package]
 p liboctave382-dev [virtual package]
 p liboctave382-gcc49 [virtual package]
 p liboctave382-gcc49-dev [virtual package]
 i octave 3.8.2-4 MATLAB-like language for computations
 p octave-interpreter [virtual package]
 p octave-interpreter-accelerate [virtual package]
 p octave-interpreter-aqua [virtual package]
 i octave382 3.8.2-4 MATLAB-like language for computations
 i octave382-dev 3.8.2-4 MATLAB-like language for computations
 p octave382-interpreter [virtual package]
 p octave382-interpreter-accelerate [virtual package]
 p octave382-interpreter-aqua [virtual package]

At fink, searching for packages with 'octave 382' yields 36 results, many of which include qtx11 or qtmac in their name.  Some include 'atlas', some 'ref', some simply follow octave382 with 'x11', and some have no such qualifier.  For what it's worth, pursuing a working installation earlier by another means, I installed X Quartz.  So, I expect a qtx11 variant is indicated.  Earlier you helped me enable install some packages to extend basic octave, which required something involving -dev.  How do I know how to get from where I am to where I need to be without disturbing the (sorry - rather painful) progress I've made?  Can you recommend a particular fink install command argument?  It is really pretty hard for a newbie to decipher all of the alternatives.

I am guessing what I need is 'fink install octave382-qtx11-dev', but I'm leery of just guessing.  I've put a good deal of time into getting a working 3.8.2 installation in place and don't want to mess it up.

Thanks so much for your help - I recognize that the community you are serving is very diverse in requirements, and really appreciate your helpful instructions.

Jim

> On Dec 1, 2014, at 10:32 AM, Alexander Hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 1, 2014, at 10:15 AM, jkr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have installed Octave 3.8.2 (using fink), a major feature of which is
>> supposed to be the GUI.  As noted http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/, this
>> is not the default interface yet.  It is said there that to start the gui
>> what is needed is --force-gui.  I have tried, from a bash shell: octave
>> --force-gui.  I just get a command line interface.  Clearly, I'm missing
>> something.  Clues?
>>

> What build variant did you install?  E.g. check that with “fink list -it octave”  Only those with “qtmac” or “qtx11” in their names include the GUI.
>
> --
> Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
> Fink User Liaison

Re: GUI - start?

Alexander Hansen-2

> On Dec 1, 2014, at 10:56 AM, James Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Alexander,
>
> I got to 3.8.2 using fink update-all after configuring to not restrict to stable (my local octave installation was at 3.8.1 before that). fink list -it octave yields:
>
> i fink-octave-scripts 0.3.3-1 Convenience scripts for Octave add-ons
> p liboctave382 [virtual package]
> p liboctave382-accelerate [virtual package]
> p liboctave382-accelerate-dev [virtual package]
> p liboctave382-aqua [virtual package]
> p liboctave382-aqua-dev [virtual package]
> p liboctave382-dev [virtual package]
> p liboctave382-gcc49 [virtual package]
> p liboctave382-gcc49-dev [virtual package]
> i octave 3.8.2-4 MATLAB-like language for computations
> p octave-interpreter [virtual package]
> p octave-interpreter-accelerate [virtual package]
> p octave-interpreter-aqua [virtual package]
> i octave382 3.8.2-4 MATLAB-like language for computations
> i octave382-dev 3.8.2-4 MATLAB-like language for computations
> p octave382-interpreter [virtual package]
> p octave382-interpreter-accelerate [virtual package]
> p octave382-interpreter-aqua [virtual package]
>

> At fink, searching for packages with 'octave 382' yields 36 results, many of which include qtx11 or qtmac in their name.  Some include 'atlas', some 'ref', some simply follow octave382 with 'x11', and some have no such qualifier.  For what it's worth, pursuing a working installation earlier by another means, I installed X Quartz.  So, I expect a qtx11 variant is indicated.  Earlier you helped me enable install some packages to extend basic octave, which required something involving -dev.  How do I know how to get from where I am to where I need to be without disturbing the (sorry - rather painful) progress I've made?  Can you recommend a particular fink install command argument?  It is really pretty hard for a newbie to decipher all of the alternatives.
>
> I am guessing what I need is 'fink install octave382-qtx11-dev', but I'm leery of just guessing.  I've put a good deal of time into getting a working 3.8.2 installation in place and don't want to mess it up.
>
> Thanks so much for your help - I recognize that the community you are serving is very diverse in requirements, and really appreciate your helpful instructions.
>
> Jim

You can use either -qtx11 or -qtmac depending on whether you want the X11 GUI or the native GUI.  You aren’t forced to use X11. :-)  And you aren’t going to lose anything apart from some time, since you’re going to have to install Qt.  If you haven’t enabled the official binary distribution yet, I’d recommend doing that to save time.

The cleanest way to do the swap is “fink remove —recursive octave382 ; fink install octave-qtx11 octave382-dev”.  In Fink Commander you can use a Binary->Remove operation on the octave382 package to accomplish the removal, and then do your install.

I’m not sure what Octave Forge packages you have installed, but you can install them afterwards.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison

jkr

Re: GUI - start?

jkr
Alexander,

Okay, starting down that path, beginning with the remove.  When I get to the new install, you indicate in the command line you provide to use octave-qtx11, but in your comments you remark that I could use -qtx11 or qtmac.  What should I consider in choosing between these?  A minor consideration is that I am trying to build a separate Ubuntu machine to behave like the Mac - does this favor using qtx11 for consisteny?

Thanks,

Jim

> [...]
>>
>> Jim
>>

> You can use either -qtx11 or -qtmac depending on whether you want the X11 GUI or the native GUI.  You aren’t forced to use X11. :-)  And you aren’t going to lose anything apart from some time, since you’re going to have to install Qt.  If you haven’t enabled the official binary distribution yet, I’d recommend doing that to save time.
>
> The cleanest way to do the swap is “fink remove —recursive octave382 ; fink install octave-qtx11 octave382-dev”.  In Fink Commander you can use a Binary->Remove operation on the octave382 package to accomplish the removal, and then do your install.
>
> I’m not sure what Octave Forge packages you have installed, but you can install them afterwards.

Re: GUI - start?

Alexander Hansen-2

> On Dec 1, 2014, at 11:21 AM, James Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Alexander,
>
> Okay, starting down that path, beginning with the remove.  When I get to the new install, you indicate in the command line you provide to use octave-qtx11, but in your comments you remark that I could use -qtx11 or qtmac.  What should I consider in choosing between these?  A minor consideration is that I am trying to build a separate Ubuntu machine to behave like the Mac - does this favor using qtx11 for consisteny?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

One of the virtues of Qt is that the behavior is intended to be platform-invariant, so it may not matter too much.  Other relevant things to consider are:

1)  If you’re going to access your OS X environment remotely, an X11-based GUI is usually more convenient since you can just forward one window rather than the whole desktop.

2)  On the other hand, Fink’s X11 Qt4 packages are older than the Mac native ones, because Qt changed their build system changed to make building an X11 version on OS X more difficult than our current Qt maintainer wanted to deal with.  The newer native version may thus actually be closer to what you experience on Ubuntu than the X11 one.

And Fink saves archives of what you build, so if you don’t like your choice, you can switch it.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison

jkr

Re: GUI - start?

jkr
Alexander,

During the remove I got several warnings "Couldn't stat source package list file: unstable/..." and a recommendation to "run apt-get to correct these problems".  I'm guessing that means 'find apt-get'.  Advisable before proceedint to install?  What does apt-get do?

Thanks,

Jim

> [...]
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>> You can use either -qtx11 or -qtmac depending on whether you want the X11 GUI or the native GUI.  You aren’t forced to use X11. :-)  And you aren’t going to lose anything apart from some time, since you’re going to have to install Qt.  If you haven’t enabled the official binary distribution yet, I’d recommend doing that to save time.
>>
>> The cleanest way to do the swap is “fink remove —recursive octave382 ; fink install octave-qtx11 octave382-dev”.  In Fink Commander you can use a Binary->Remove operation on the octave382 package to accomplish the removal, and then do your install.
>>
>> I’m not sure what Octave Forge packages you have installed, but you can install them afterwards.

Re: GUI - start?

Alexander Hansen-2

> On Dec 1, 2014, at 11:36 AM, James Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Alexander,
>
> During the remove I got several warnings "Couldn't stat source package list file: unstable/..." and a recommendation to "run apt-get to correct these problems".  I'm guessing that means 'find apt-get'.  Advisable before proceedint to install?  What does apt-get do?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Nope.

If you only got warnings about files in unstable… then that may mean that you found some outdated advice (if on Fink’s website I’ll fix it) because Fink hasn’t used an unstable tree anywhere in several years.

apt-get downloads and installs pre-built binaries, either from a remote website such as our binary distribution, or from the local machine.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison

Re: GUI - start?

c.-2

On 1 Dec 2014, at 19:38, Sunil Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Given that these questions are recurring-I went through the same set of questions with you about ten days ago, may I humbly suggest to update the information on Octave Wiki ( http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X ) ?

that's a wiki, you are welcome to change it yourself.
c.

Re: GUI - start?

Alexander Hansen-2

> On Dec 1, 2014, at 1:21 PM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 1 Dec 2014, at 19:38, Sunil Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Given that these questions are recurring-I went through the same set of questions with you about ten days ago, may I humbly suggest to update the information on Octave Wiki ( http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X ) ?
>
> that's a wiki, you are welcome to change it yourself.
> c.

I made a couple of updates in the Fink section to point folks to GUI-enabled package builds.

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison

Re: GUI - start?

sshah
Thank you Alexander.

The following still unclear to me:

How does one enable binary distribution of octave during the initial setup of Fink?  I could not find it in Find documentation.

It may help those following the Wiki page to know the need to use -dev versions for mkoctfile to work.

It may help to know about needing Java SDK from Apple support site and the latest Xquartz.

Sunil

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Alexander Hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Dec 1, 2014, at 1:21 PM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 1 Dec 2014, at 19:38, Sunil Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Given that these questions are recurring-I went through the same set of questions with you about ten days ago, may I humbly suggest to update the information on Octave Wiki ( http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X ) ?
>
> that's a wiki, you are welcome to change it yourself.
> c.

I made a couple of updates in the Fink section to point folks to GUI-enabled package builds.

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison

jkr

Re: GUI - start?

jkr
Alexander,

Followed your instructions below.  At one point my iMac was hung for over a half hour (even clock on screen not updating, no disk noises) and I forced it to power down.  This was apparently during fink install octave-qtmacs octave382-dev.  After rebooting, I did findk list -it octave and got:

 i fink-octave-scripts 0.3.3-1 Convenience scripts for Octave add-ons
 p liboctave382 [virtual package]
 p liboctave382-accelerate [virtual package]
 p liboctave382-accelerate-dev [virtual package]
 p liboctave382-aqua [virtual package]
 p liboctave382-aqua-dev [virtual package]
 p liboctave382-dev [virtual package]
 p liboctave382-gcc49 [virtual package]
 p liboctave382-gcc49-dev [virtual package]
 i octave382 3.8.2-4 MATLAB-like language for computations
 i octave382-dev 3.8.2-4 MATLAB-like language for computations
 p octave382-interpreter [virtual package]
 p octave382-interpreter-accelerate [virtual package]
 p octave382-interpreter-aqua [virtual package]

Then I did fink install octave-qtmac octave382-dev, counting on fink to figure out whether it had any work to do (as the list looked incomplete - no qtmac).  This appeared to work, apart from complaints about not being able to stat unstable/crypto/...  It said it found that it needed to install both packages, but took hardly any time.  Next it said:

Could not resolve inconsistent dependencies!

Fink isn't sure how to install the above packages safely. You may be able to
fix things by running:

  fink scanpackages
  sudo apt-get update
  sudo apt-get install octave-qtmac=3.8.2-4 octave382-qtmac=3.8.2-4

So, I ran all of the recommended commands.  During sudo apt-get install octave-qtmac-3.8.2-4 octave382-qtmac=3.8.2-4 it said:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  octave382 octave382-dev
  octave-qtmac octave382-qtmac
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/26.7MB of archives. After unpacking 791kB will be freed.

Then it appeared to proceed gracefully except for warnings like:

Removing octave382-dev ...
Removing octave382 ...
dpkg - warning: while removing octave382, directory `/sw/var/octave/3.8.2' not empty so not removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing octave382, directory `/sw/var/octave' not empty so not removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing octave382, directory `/sw/share/octave' not empty so not removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing octave382, directory `/sw/lib/octave' not empty so not removed.

Finally it said Setting up octave-qtmac (3.8.2-4) ..., which it appeared to do successfully.

Next I ran octave --force-gui

It brought up a beautiful GUI.  Command line recall worked.  But on a first simple plot I got a dialog "octave-gui quite unexpectedly" and on the command console "octave exited with signal 11".

I tried starting again at remove --recursive octave382.  fink said No packages to remove. I tried 'fink remove octave382' - same answer.  'find remove octave382-interpreter', same answer.

I tried using octave from its command line.  I generated a simple plot, but on the command console, it posted pages of:

Dec  1 17:46:56 Jamess-iMac.local octave-cli-3.8.2[1459] <Error>: CGContextFillRects: invalid context 0x0. This is a serious error. This application, or a library it uses, is using an invalid context  and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system stability and reliability. This notice is a courtesy: please fix this problem. It will become a fatal error in an upcoming update.

(repeated many times).

I feel totally snake-bit.  It seems like I need to start over with a fresh installation, but it seems like I cannot.  Recommendation?

Thanks,

Jim

On Dec 1, 2014, at 11:04 AM, Alexander Hansen-2 [via Octave] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Jim

You can use either -qtx11 or -qtmac depending on whether you want the X11 GUI or the native GUI.  You aren’t forced to use X11. :-)  And you aren’t going to lose anything apart from some time, since you’re going to have to install Qt.  If you haven’t enabled the official binary distribution yet, I’d recommend doing that to save time.

The cleanest way to do the swap is “fink remove —recursive octave382 ; fink install octave-qtx11 octave382-dev”.  In Fink Commander you can use a Binary->Remove operation on the octave382 package to accomplish the removal, and then do your install.

I’m not sure what Octave Forge packages you have installed, but you can install them afterwards.

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/GUI-start-tp4667606p4667616.html
To unsubscribe from GUI - start?, click here.
NAML

Re: GUI - start?

Alexander Hansen-2

On Dec 1, 2014, at 10:02 PM, jkr <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

That’s to be expected.  "fink list -i” lists only installed packages.

This appeared to work, apart from complaints about not being able to stat unstable/crypto/…

There is no unstable tree, and the separate crypto tree was discontinued even before that.  This is a harmless issue in your local Fink configuration.

[...]

Absolutely normal.

Finally it said Setting up octave-qtmac (3.8.2-4) ..., which it appeared to do successfully.

Next I ran octave --force-gui

It brought up a beautiful GUI.  Command line recall worked.  But on a first simple plot I got a dialog "octave-gui quite unexpectedly" and on the command console "octave exited with signal 11”.

Something similar has been reported for the GUI on OS X from Homebrew and Macports.  I didn’t tickle it on one of my test systems, so I thought that my build somehow missed it.  I’m setting octave-qtmac up on my production machine to see whether it is a reproducible issue or not.

I tried starting again at remove --recursive octave382.  fink said No packages to remove. I tried 'fink remove octave382' - same answer.  'find remove octave382-interpreter', same answer.

You can’t remove octave382 because it isn’t installed.  You removed it when you installed octave382-qtmac.

You can’t remove octave382-interpreter that way because it is a virtual package.

I tried using octave from its command line.  I generated a simple plot, but on the command console, it posted pages of:

Dec  1 17:46:56 Jamess-iMac.local octave-cli-3.8.2[1459] <Error>: CGContextFillRects: invalid context 0x0. This is a serious error. This application, or a library it uses, is using an invalid context  and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system stability and reliability. This notice is a courtesy: please fix this problem. It will become a fatal error in an upcoming update.

(repeated many times).

I feel totally snake-bit.  It seems like I need to start over with a fresh installation, but it seems like I cannot. Recommendation?

Thanks,

Jim

Unless you change something around (removing third-party libraries, etc.) a fresh Fink installation will get you to exactly the same place, because Fink’s build system is deterministic.

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison

Re: GUI - start?

bpabbott
Administrator

On Dec 2, 2014, at 1:30 PM, Alexander Hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Dec 1, 2014, at 10:02 PM, jkr <[hidden email]> wrote:

Finally it said Setting up octave-qtmac (3.8.2-4) ..., which it appeared to do successfully.

Next I ran octave --force-gui

It brought up a beautiful GUI.  Command line recall worked.  But on a first simple plot I got a dialog "octave-gui quite unexpectedly" and on the command console "octave exited with signal 11”.

Something similar has been reported for the GUI on OS X from Homebrew and Macports.  I didn’t tickle it on one of my test systems, so I thought that my build somehow missed it.  I’m setting octave-qtmac up on my production machine to see whether it is a reproducible issue or not.

The error occurs when the graphics_toolkit is set to “fltk”. The reason is that the fltk toolkit and the gui do not run in the same thread. When running the gui on MacOS X, the gnuplot toolkit is required.

close all
graphics_toolkit gnuplot
plot (rand (3))

I’ve added a bug report.

Ben

jkr

Re: GUI - start?

jkr
Sunil,  Ben,

Thank you.  I was so close to giving up.  I've put:

graphics_toolkit('gnuplot');

in my .octaverc.

I've put:

tell application "Terminal"
        do script "`which octave-3.8.2` --force-gui; exit"
end tell

in a launcher I made with AppleScript and put it in my Applications folder.

I've copied the Octave icon from http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/ (near upper right corner) over the generic Apple Script icon visible (in the upper left corner) with right-click Get Info on that file.

Things seem to be working.

Much of this is obvious to you, but it would be nice if a newbie didn't have to figure it all out.

I appreciate your help.

Jim

> [...]
> > >
> > > Jim
> > >

> > You can use either -qtx11 or -qtmac depending on whether you want the X11 GUI or the native GUI.  You aren’t forced to use X11. :-)  And you aren’t going to lose anything apart from some time, since you’re going to have to install Qt.  If you haven’t enabled the official binary distribution yet, I’d recommend doing that to save time.
> >
> > The cleanest way to do the swap is “fink remove —recursive octave382 ; fink install octave-qtx11 octave382-dev”.  In Fink Commander you can use a Binary->Remove operation on the octave382 package to accomplish the removal, and then do your install.
> >
> > I’m not sure what Octave Forge packages you have installed, but you can install them afterwards.

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: GUI - start?

Alexander Hansen-2

> On Dec 2, 2014, at 11:27 AM, James Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sunil,  Ben,
>
> Thank you.  I was so close to giving up.  I've put:
>
> graphics_toolkit('gnuplot');
>
> in my .octaverc.
>
> I've put:
>
> tell application "Terminal"
> do script "`which octave-3.8.2` --force-gui; exit"
> end tell
>
> in a launcher I made with AppleScript and put it in my Applications folder.
>
> I've copied the Octave icon from http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/ (near upper right corner) over the generic Apple Script icon visible (in the upper left corner) with right-click Get Info on that file.
>
> Things seem to be working.
>
> Much of this is obvious to you, but it would be nice if a newbie didn't have to figure it all out.
>
> I appreciate your help.
>
> Jim

I’m glad it’s working now.  I need to do an update of my blog to include a matrix of all of the Octave options. :-)

Oh, and I think the CGContext… messages are mostly harmless, even though they say “serious error”.  I’m not sure whether the problem resides in the FLTK library or Octave, though.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison

12