GUi won't start

12

GUi won't start

PhilipNienhuis
With builds from today (17626:82b1778798d3 and 17628:99ffa521ec) I note that the GUI won't start, not even when invoking with --force-gui flag. Neither on Windows (MXE build), nor on Linux(Mageia-2).
Is anyone else seeing this too?

The previous build I made (Oct 7) runs fine.

Philip

Aw: GUi won't start

Stefan Mahr
Did you check the configure output, is the GUI enabled? There's a new dependency (qt-webkit) since three days.

Stefan

> Gesendet: Freitag, 11. Oktober 2013 um 18:07 Uhr
> Von: PhilipNienhuis <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: GUi won't start
>
> With builds from today (17626:82b1778798d3 and 17628:99ffa521ec) I note that
> the GUI won't start, not even when invoking with --force-gui flag. Neither
> on Windows (MXE build), nor on Linux(Mageia-2).
> Is anyone else seeing this too?
>
> The previous build I made (Oct 7) runs fine.
>
> Philip

>> With builds from today (17626:82b1778798d3 and 17628:99ffa521ec) I note that
>> the GUI won't start, not even when invoking with --force-gui flag. Neither
>> on Windows (MXE build), nor on Linux(Mageia-2).
>> Is anyone else seeing this too?
>>
>> The previous build I made (Oct 7) runs fine.
 >
 > Did you check the configure output, is the GUI enabled? There's a new
 > dependency (qt-webkit) since three days.

Ah, that explains something. Thanks.

Philip

Re: Aw: GUi won't start

Doug Stewart-4
Does this mean that we need qt5 now?

Gesendet: Freitag, 11. Oktober 2013 um 18:07 Uhr
Von: PhilipNienhuis<[hidden email]>
An: [hidden email]
Betreff: GUi won't start

--
DAS

https://linuxcounter.net/user/206392.html

Re: Aw: GUi won't start

Mike Miller
On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 13:32:08 -0400, Doug Stewart wrote:
> Does this mean that we need qt5 now?

That should not be the case. I actually only recently installed Qt5 on
my dev box, and I plan to make sure the GUI works for me with Qt 4.6,
4.8, and 5.1.

Re: Aw: GUi won't start

PhilipNienhuis
Doug Stewart wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Philip Nienhuis <[hidden email]

No, I don't think so.
1. On my Linux box I've just built with qt-4.8.4 (runs fine now).
2. This web page [1] mentions a development version of Qt 4.7
[1]  http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/BuildingQtOnWindows

Pulling in just libqtwebkit (+ some 20-25 other small dependencies) did
the trick on my Linux box.

For MinGW I see that we now also need (according to
http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/BuildingQtOnWindows):

- ActiveState Perl
- Python2.x
- Ruby

(+ their implicit dependencies)
which may add a few complications to MXE.
Maybe the Linux variants of these dependencies can be used for
cross-compiling with MXE.

Philip

Re: Aw: GUi won't start

On 10/11/2013 02:41 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

> For MinGW I see that we now also need (according to
> http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/BuildingQtOnWindows):
>
> - ActiveState Perl
> - Python2.x
> - Ruby
>
> (+ their implicit dependencies)
> which may add a few complications to MXE.
> Maybe the Linux variants of these dependencies can be used for
> cross-compiling with MXE.

There's also another option, and that's to not use webkit.  I made an
apparently bad assumption about it already being built for mingw.

It is currently only used in the new "community news" window to display
an html file.  It's not absolutely necessary that the community news
window be an actual web browser.  I just thought using QWebView was the
easy thing to do.

But now that I see that things like QLabel can display HTML and open
external links, then maybe there is a simpler way.  If we use QLabel or
QTextBrowser instead, then any links in the community news text will
open in an external browser, but that's probably OK.

So before you do too much work trying to get webkit to build with mxe,
let's experiment with these other options first.

Re: GUi won't start

Dmitri A. Sergatskov

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 11:07 AM, PhilipNienhuis <[hidden email]> wrote:
With builds from today (17626:82b1778798d3 and 17628:99ffa521ec) I note that
the GUI won't start, not even when invoking with --force-gui flag. Neither
on Windows (MXE build), nor on Linux(Mageia-2).
Is anyone else seeing this too?

I see the same on Linux (Fedora 19). The build does not find Qt libraries for some
reason (I did not have time to investigate further). Everything worked fine on the same
computer just a couple days ago...

The previous build I made (Oct 7) runs fine.

Philip

Dmitri.

Re: Aw: GUi won't start

PhilipNienhuis
Philip Nienhuis wrote:

> Doug Stewart wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Philip Nienhuis <[hidden email]

Looks like getting qt-webkit in MXE is extremely easy: just deleting the
line

-no-webkit \

from file

<mxe-octave-dir>/src/qt.mk

gets QtWebKit4.dll built. In the mxe log for octave I see that the GUI
will be (cross-) built now.

Philip

Re: Aw: GUi won't start

On 10/11/2013 03:54 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

> Looks like getting qt-webkit in MXE is extremely easy: just deleting the
> line
>
> -no-webkit \
>
> from file
>
> <mxe-octave-dir>/src/qt.mk
>
> gets QtWebKit4.dll built. In the mxe log for octave I see that the GUI
> will be (cross-) built now.

OK, that's good to know.  But I'm still not sure whether it is really
best to use a full web browser to display the community news text.  For
our purposes, using a simple text object like QLabel will probably be
just as good and not add more unnecessary bloat.

Re: Aw: GUi won't start

On 10/11/2013 04:13 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 10/11/2013 03:54 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
>
>> Looks like getting qt-webkit in MXE is extremely easy: just deleting the
>> line
>>
>> -no-webkit \
>>
>> from file
>>
>> <mxe-octave-dir>/src/qt.mk
>>
>> gets QtWebKit4.dll built. In the mxe log for octave I see that the GUI
>> will be (cross-) built now.
>
> OK, that's good to know. But I'm still not sure whether it is really
> best to use a full web browser to display the community news text. For
> our purposes, using a simple text object like QLabel will probably be
> just as good and not add more unnecessary bloat.
Or, probably better, QTextBrowser.  My current idea is attached.

jwe

diffs.txt (2K) Download Attachment

Re: GUi won't start

bpabbott
Administrator
On Oct 11, 2013, at 4:23 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 10/11/2013 04:13 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
>
>> On 10/11/2013 03:54 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like getting qt-webkit in MXE is extremely easy: just deleting the
>>> line
>>>
>>> -no-webkit \
>>>
>>> from file
>>>
>>> <mxe-octave-dir>/src/qt.mk
>>>
>>> gets QtWebKit4.dll built. In the mxe log for octave I see that the GUI
>>> will be (cross-) built now.
>>
>> OK, that's good to know. But I'm still not sure whether it is really
>> best to use a full web browser to display the community news text. For
>> our purposes, using a simple text object like QLabel will probably be
>> just as good and not add more unnecessary bloat.
>
> Or, probably better, QTextBrowser.  My current idea is attached.
>
> jwe
>
> <diffs.txt>

Works for me on MacOSX

Ben

Re: Aw: GUi won't start

PhilipNienhuis
John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 10/11/2013 02:41 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
>
>> For MinGW I see that we now also need (according to
>> http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/BuildingQtOnWindows):
>>
>> - ActiveState Perl
>> - Python2.x
>> - Ruby
>>
>> (+ their implicit dependencies)
>> which may add a few complications to MXE.
>> Maybe the Linux variants of these dependencies can be used for
>> cross-compiling with MXE.
>
> There's also another option, and that's to not use webkit. I made an
> apparently bad assumption about it already being built for mingw.
>
> It is currently only used in the new "community news" window to display
> an html file. It's not absolutely necessary that the community news
> window be an actual web browser. I just thought using QWebView was the
> easy thing to do.
>
> But now that I see that things like QLabel can display HTML and open
> external links, then maybe there is a simpler way. If we use QLabel or
> QTextBrowser instead, then any links in the community news text will
> open in an external browser, but that's probably OK.
While in this case in the end it turns out to be a fairly minor
dependency, I think less dependencies are always better.
(A favorite quote from one of the professors of my CS minor: "small is
beautiful")

> So before you do too much work trying to get webkit to build with mxe,
> let's experiment with these other options first.

No worries :-) with the change to qt.mk (seem my other post; just
deleting the line "-no-webkit \" from src/qt.mk) QtWebKit4.dll gets
built and an MXE-built Octave runs fine now on Windows, with the GUI.

There is one small glitch (see attached pic):
The contents of the NEWS pane (file NEWS) refers to the build dir, not
to Octave's install dir (at least not on Windows).

BTW I see in the attached picture that it QTextBrowser *is* used.

Thanks,

Philip

oct377news.png (27K) Download Attachment

Re: Aw: GUi won't start

PhilipNienhuis
John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 10/11/2013 04:13 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
>> On 10/11/2013 03:54 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like getting qt-webkit in MXE is extremely easy: just deleting the
>>> line
>>>
>>> -no-webkit \
>>>
>>> from file
>>>
>>> <mxe-octave-dir>/src/qt.mk
>>>
>>> gets QtWebKit4.dll built. In the mxe log for octave I see that the GUI
>>> will be (cross-) built now.
>>
>> OK, that's good to know. But I'm still not sure whether it is really
>> best to use a full web browser to display the community news text. For
>> our purposes, using a simple text object like QLabel will probably be
>> just as good and not add more unnecessary bloat.
>
> Or, probably better, QTextBrowser. My current idea is attached.

(Our thread posts cross each other)

OK, I'll see if I can try it out this weekend (originally I planned to
fix the Dutch nl_NL.ts translation :-) ).
If it works, should QtWebKit be removed from configure.ac ? (I don't see
that in the patch).

Oh it works for Ben, well I suppose it's OK then.

Philip

Re: GUi won't start

c.-2

On 11 Oct 2013, at 22:13, "John W. Eaton" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, that's good to know.  But I'm still not sure whether it is really best to use a full web browser to display the community news text.  For our purposes, using a simple text object like QLabel will probably be just as good and not add more unnecessary bloat.
>
> jwe

while it is definitely too much for just the community news text,
it would be good to use html rendering for the help browser which would
allow displaying demo images and formulas in the docs ...

I do not think that should be a goal for the 3.8 release though.

c.

Re: Aw: GUi won't start

Torsten
On 11.10.2013 22:58, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
> OK, I'll see if I can try it out this weekend (originally I planned to
> fix the Dutch nl_NL.ts translation :-) ).

Philip, there were changes and there are still changes going on that
affect some text strings. So maybe you wait with the translation update
until we have a steady state?

Torsten

Re: GUi won't start

c.-2

On 11 Oct 2013, at 23:01, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11 Oct 2013, at 22:13, "John W. Eaton" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> OK, that's good to know.  But I'm still not sure whether it is really best to use a full web browser to display the community news text.  For our purposes, using a simple text object like QLabel will probably be just as good and not add more unnecessary bloat.
>>
>> jwe
>
> while it is definitely too much for just the community news text,
> it would be good to use html rendering for the help browser which would
> allow displaying demo images and formulas in the docs ...
>
> I do not think that should be a goal for the 3.8 release though.

Also, aren't the text in the news window and the startup text redundant?
Would it be possible to display the usual startup message in the news window
instead of the command window and merge it with the news?

c.

Re: GUi won't start

bpabbott
On Oct 11, 2013, at 4:58 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

> John W. Eaton wrote:

>>> OK, that's good to know. But I'm still not sure whether it is really
>>> best to use a full web browser to display the community news text. For
>>> our purposes, using a simple text object like QLabel will probably be
>>> just as good and not add more unnecessary bloat.
>>
>> Or, probably better, QTextBrowser. My current idea is attached.
>
> (Our thread posts cross each other)
>
> OK, I'll see if I can try it out this weekend (originally I planned to fix the Dutch nl_NL.ts translation :-) ).
> If it works, should QtWebKit be removed from configure.ac ? (I don't see that in the patch).
>
> Oh it works for Ben, well I suppose it's OK then.
>
> Philip

The webkit version works for me as well.

Ben

OT: nl_NL.ts [WAS: Re: Aw: GUi won't start]

PhilipNienhuis
Torsten wrote:
> On 11.10.2013 22:58, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
>> OK, I'll see if I can try it out this weekend (originally I planned to
>> fix the Dutch nl_NL.ts translation :-) ).
>
> Philip, there were changes and there are still changes going on that
> affect some text strings. So maybe you wait with the translation update
> until we have a steady state?

Sure.
Could you please ping me when it is time to pick up on nl_NL.ts?

Thx, Philip

Re: GUi won't start

PhilipNienhuis
c. wrote:

> On 11 Oct 2013, at 22:13, "John W. Eaton"<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> OK, that's good to know.  But I'm still not sure whether it is really best to use a full web browser to display the community news text.  For our purposes, using a simple text object like QLabel will probably be just as good and not add more unnecessary bloat.
>>
>> jwe
>
> while it is definitely too much for just the community news text,
> it would be good to use html rendering for the help browser which would
> allow displaying demo images and formulas in the docs ...

Good idea. But there are counter arguments:

I think for such functionality, Octave could invoke the locally
installed default web browser as well.
Once started that way, the user can even bookmark the help file itself
and doesn't strictly need Octave anymore to peruse the manuals.
Better yet, the user can easily add various bookmarks into the help
docs, and it would save Octave devs the hassle of implementing bookmarks
in Octave's Qt-WebKit panes.

Several Windows installers added the html (& pdf) docs to the Start
Menu, that way I got used to reading up on Octave tru my browser. I find
that very convenient.

> I do not think that should be a goal for the 3.8 release though.

There's enough to do, sure. Depends on how much work it is and how
intrusive the required patches would be.

Philip
12