Generating documentation

JuanPi
Hi all,

I noticed, while generating the documentation for Octave Forge, that
if graphics_toolkit == "fltk" no images are generated and the html is
broken.

Does anybody knows a solution to this?

Thanks

--
JuanPi Carbajal
-----

Re: Generating documentation

Søren Hauberg

On Oct 12, 2012, at 4:22 AM, JuanPi wrote:
> I noticed, while generating the documentation for Octave Forge, that
> if graphics_toolkit == "fltk" no images are generated and the html is
> broken.
>
> Does anybody knows a solution to this?

I assume you are working with the 'generate_html' package. In principle this should work independently of which plotting system is being used, but I do remember having tons of stability problems with fltk backend some years back. The basic issue was that windows were opened and closed too fast, such that GLPS didn't have time to produce the output files. I am unsure if this problem was ever solved as I don't think anybody managed to figure out exactly what was happening.

Søren

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Søren Hauberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2012, at 4:22 AM, JuanPi wrote:
>> I noticed, while generating the documentation for Octave Forge, that
>> if graphics_toolkit == "fltk" no images are generated and the html is
>> broken.
>>
>> Does anybody knows a solution to this?
>
> I assume you are working with the 'generate_html' package. In principle this should work independently of which plotting system is being used, but I do remember having tons of stability problems with fltk backend some years back. The basic issue was that windows were opened and closed too fast, such that GLPS didn't have time to produce the output files. I am unsure if this problem was ever solved as I don't think anybody managed to figure out exactly what was happening.
>
> Søren

Thank you Søren,

Besides gnuplot and fltk, what other toolkit can be used?

Is there a way (hypothetically) of integrating the one being used by
matplotlib?

--
JuanPi Carbajal
-----

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 3:12 PM, JuanPi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Søren Hauberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 12, 2012, at 4:22 AM, JuanPi wrote:
>>> I noticed, while generating the documentation for Octave Forge, that
>>> if graphics_toolkit == "fltk" no images are generated and the html is
>>> broken.
>>>
>>> Does anybody knows a solution to this?
>>
>> I assume you are working with the 'generate_html' package. In principle this should work independently of which plotting system is being used, but I do remember having tons of stability problems with fltk backend some years back. The basic issue was that windows were opened and closed too fast, such that GLPS didn't have time to produce the output files. I am unsure if this problem was ever solved as I don't think anybody managed to figure out exactly what was happening.
>>
>> Søren
>
> Thank you Søren,
>
> Besides gnuplot and fltk, what other toolkit can be used?
>
> Is there a way (hypothetically) of integrating the one being used by
> matplotlib?
>
> --
> JuanPi Carbajal
> -----
> "It is one thing not to be able to perform a certain feat, but quite
> another to prove that it cannot be done." - Henry Ernest Dudeney
> -----
> http://ailab.ifi.uzh.ch/carbajal/

btw, the table of backends is here
http://matplotlib.org/faq/usage_faq.html

--
JuanPi Carbajal
-----

On Oct 12, 2012, at 3:12 PM, JuanPi wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Søren Hauberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 12, 2012, at 4:22 AM, JuanPi wrote:
>>> I noticed, while generating the documentation for Octave Forge, that
>>> if graphics_toolkit == "fltk" no images are generated and the html is
>>> broken.
>>>
>>> Does anybody knows a solution to this?
>>
>> I assume you are working with the 'generate_html' package. In principle this should work independently of which plotting system is being used, but I do remember having tons of stability problems with fltk backend some years back. The basic issue was that windows were opened and closed too fast, such that GLPS didn't have time to produce the output files. I am unsure if this problem was ever solved as I don't think anybody managed to figure out exactly what was happening.
>>
>> Søren
>
> Thank you Søren,
>
> Besides gnuplot and fltk, what other toolkit can be used?

I don't think any other toolkits are possible at the moment. People are working towards using the Qt toolkit, but I don't think this is stable enough to be useful.

> Is there a way (hypothetically) of integrating the one being used by
> matplotlib?

Yeah, sure you can write such code. I figure you can write a python server that calls matplotlib and talk to that server from Octave. But that would give you a solution similar to using gnuplot, so that might be a troublesome approach. But I'm not sure, I've been thinking about this approach myself…

Søren

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Søren Hauberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2012, at 3:12 PM, JuanPi wrote:

>>> I assume you are working with the 'generate_html' package. In principle this should work independently of which plotting system is being used, but I do remember having tons of stability problems with fltk backend some years back. The basic issue was that windows were opened and closed too fast, such that GLPS didn't have time to produce the output files. I am unsure if this problem was ever solved as I don't think anybody managed to figure out exactly what was happening.
>>>
>>> Søren
>>
>> Thank you Søren,
>>
>> Besides gnuplot and fltk, what other toolkit can be used?
>
> I don't think any other toolkits are possible at the moment. People are working towards using the Qt toolkit, but I don't think this is stable enough to be useful.
>
>> Is there a way (hypothetically) of integrating the one being used by
>> matplotlib?
>
> Yeah, sure you can write such code. I figure you can write a python server that calls matplotlib and talk to that server from Octave. But that would give you a solution similar to using gnuplot, so that might be a troublesome approach. But I'm not sure, I've been thinking about this approach myself…
>
> Søren

Søren
Oh, no! I've been there. I was thinking in something lower-level.
Matplotlib uses Agg for many backends
http://www.antigrain.com/

Of course I can imagine it is a dauting task to integrate it as an
optional toolkit/backend in octave. Who did fltk integration, how hard
was it?

--
JuanPi Carbajal
-----

On Oct 12, 2012, at 3:23 PM, JuanPi wrote:
> Oh, no! I've been there. I was thinking in something lower-level.
> Matplotlib uses Agg for many backends
> http://www.antigrain.com/

Ahh, okay.

> Of course I can imagine it is a dauting task to integrate it as an
> optional toolkit/backend in octave. Who did fltk integration, how hard
> was it?

Well it wasn't me, so I'm not an expert. I think the main task was writing the OpenGL renderer, which can be used with different backends. Basically, fltk only handles the actual windows, so changing the toolkit should be manageable (though still some work), but if you want to drop the OpenGL renderer you should expect to do quite some work.

Søren

Re: Generating documentation

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 12 October 2012 09:23, JuanPi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Of course I can imagine it is a dauting task to integrate it as an
> optional toolkit/backend in octave. Who did fltk integration, how hard
> was it?

Bateman, jwe, Søren, and Shai were the major players in the fltk
integration, iirc. It was a lot of work. But this includes the OpenGL
backend. The fltk part is only a minor thing that just draws the
window decorations (buttons, borders, etc). The Qt backend (currently,
QtHandles) reuses the OpenGL plotting and uses Qt widgets instead.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Generating documentation

JuanPi
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12 October 2012 09:23, JuanPi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Of course I can imagine it is a dauting task to integrate it as an
>> optional toolkit/backend in octave. Who did fltk integration, how hard
>> was it?
>
> Bateman, jwe, Søren, and Shai were the major players in the fltk
> integration, iirc. It was a lot of work. But this includes the OpenGL
> backend. The fltk part is only a minor thing that just draws the
> window decorations (buttons, borders, etc). The Qt backend (currently,
> QtHandles) reuses the OpenGL plotting and uses Qt widgets instead.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Thanks,
I see OpenGL sounds good to me, I was wondering why we have so may
quirks with fltk. Is qthandles already available for testing?

--
JuanPi Carbajal
-----