Generating package HTML for Octave Forge

Generating package HTML for Octave Forge

Daniel Kraft-2
Hi!

I want to release a first version of my new "level-set" package soon.
The functionality I want to include in this first version is finished,
and now I'm working on polishing the documentation.

In particular, I'm trying to generate the package HTML required for
release on Octave Forge.  For this, I'm using the "generate_html"
package, and the command

  generate_package_html ("level-set", "/tmp", "octave-forge")

Basically, it works fine, and my package and the resulting HTML can be
found at [1] and [2] (viewable HTML at [3]).

  [1] http://extra.domob.eu/level-set-0.1.tar.gz
  [2] http://extra.domob.eu/level-set-doc.tar.bz2
  [3] http://extra.domob.eu/level-set/

Does this look fine, or should I be doing something different?

I have two issues with the resulting HTML, though:

1) For functions with multiple signatures (for instance,
ls_solve_stationary [4]), the HTML looks very odd (with the second
signature intended).  It looks fine in Octave's help.  Is this expected
behaviour of generate_html, or is my Texinfo syntax wrong to produce
this kind of output?

  [4] http://extra.domob.eu/level-set/function/ls_solve_stationary.html

2) A lot of functions have demos, but with *none* of them the resulting
HTML includes a correct picture.  Is this a problem with my installation
of generate_html, or a bug in it?  It happens even if I add a trivial
demo like

  x = linspace (-pi, pi, 100);
  plot (x, sin (x));

While it would be nice to see some of the figures directly in the HTML,
I understand that some demos may be too complicated.  Is it possible to
disable inclusion of demos completely in the HTML?  Or maybe just
exclude some of them and fix the others, in case it is a problem with my
code?

Thank you very much!  I'm looking forward to releasing the package! :)

Yours,
Daniel

--
http://www.domob.eu/
Namecoin: id/domob -> https://nameid.org/?name=domob

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Generating package HTML for Octave Forge

Mike Miller
On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 12:58:49 +0200, Daniel Kraft wrote:
> Does this look fine, or should I be doing something different?

I looked at a few pages and they look correct to me. The missing style
will be filled in when it is added to the Forge site.

> I have two issues with the resulting HTML, though:
>
> 1) For functions with multiple signatures (for instance,
> ls_solve_stationary [4]), the HTML looks very odd (with the second
> signature intended).  It looks fine in Octave's help.  Is this expected
> behaviour of generate_html, or is my Texinfo syntax wrong to produce
> this kind of output?
>
>   [4] http://extra.domob.eu/level-set/function/ls_solve_stationary.html

I suspect this may be due to Texinfo 5. Are you able to run
generate_html using Texinfo 4? I keep a copy of Texinfo 4.13 around and
set Octave's makeinfo_program to point to it when building package HTML.
I don't remember specifically which problems were due to Texinfo 5, but
there are some.

> 2) A lot of functions have demos, but with *none* of them the resulting
> HTML includes a correct picture.  Is this a problem with my installation
> of generate_html, or a bug in it?  It happens even if I add a trivial
> demo like
>
>   x = linspace (-pi, pi, 100);
>   plot (x, sin (x));

And I think this is due to FLTK not being able to print non-visible
figures. If you set graphics_toolkit to gnuplot for building package
HTML docs you should get the correct demo plots.

Re: Generating package HTML for Octave Forge

c.-2

On 5 Jun 2014, at 15:19, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 12:58:49 +0200, Daniel Kraft wrote:
>> Does this look fine, or should I be doing something different?
>
> I looked at a few pages and they look correct to me. The missing style
> will be filled in when it is added to the Forge site.
>
>> I have two issues with the resulting HTML, though:
>>
>> 1) For functions with multiple signatures (for instance,
>> ls_solve_stationary [4]), the HTML looks very odd (with the second
>> signature intended).  It looks fine in Octave's help.  Is this expected
>> behaviour of generate_html, or is my Texinfo syntax wrong to produce
>> this kind of output?
>>
>>  [4] http://extra.domob.eu/level-set/function/ls_solve_stationary.html
>
> I suspect this may be due to Texinfo 5. Are you able to run
> generate_html using Texinfo 4? I keep a copy of Texinfo 4.13 around and
> set Octave's makeinfo_program to point to it when building package HTML.
> I don't remember specifically which problems were due to Texinfo 5, but
> there are some.
>
>> 2) A lot of functions have demos, but with *none* of them the resulting
>> HTML includes a correct picture.  Is this a problem with my installation
>> of generate_html, or a bug in it?  It happens even if I add a trivial
>> demo like
>>
>>  x = linspace (-pi, pi, 100);
>>  plot (x, sin (x));
>
> And I think this is due to FLTK not being able to print non-visible
> figures. If you set graphics_toolkit to gnuplot for building package
> HTML docs you should get the correct demo plots.
>
> --
> mike

Please note that generate_html also currently creates a wrong navigation toolbar
on help pages which contains an "SVN" link pointing to "https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/code"

This should be changed to "http://octave.sourceforge.net/code.html" and the link name should be changed to "Code".

A patch to fix this would be very welcome.

c.

On 2014-06-05 17:07, c. wrote:

>>> 1) For functions with multiple signatures (for instance,
>>> ls_solve_stationary [4]), the HTML looks very odd (with the second
>>> signature intended).  It looks fine in Octave's help.  Is this expected
>>> behaviour of generate_html, or is my Texinfo syntax wrong to produce
>>> this kind of output?
>>>
>>>  [4] http://extra.domob.eu/level-set/function/ls_solve_stationary.html
>>
>> I suspect this may be due to Texinfo 5. Are you able to run
>> generate_html using Texinfo 4? I keep a copy of Texinfo 4.13 around and
>> set Octave's makeinfo_program to point to it when building package HTML.
>> I don't remember specifically which problems were due to Texinfo 5, but
>> there are some.
>>
>>> 2) A lot of functions have demos, but with *none* of them the resulting
>>> HTML includes a correct picture.  Is this a problem with my installation
>>> of generate_html, or a bug in it?  It happens even if I add a trivial
>>> demo like
>>>
>>>  x = linspace (-pi, pi, 100);
>>>  plot (x, sin (x));
>>
>> And I think this is due to FLTK not being able to print non-visible
>> figures. If you set graphics_toolkit to gnuplot for building package
>> HTML docs you should get the correct demo plots.
Thank you, I will try this out!

> Please note that generate_html also currently creates a wrong navigation toolbar
> on help pages which contains an "SVN" link pointing to "https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/code"
>
> This should be changed to "http://octave.sourceforge.net/code.html" and the link name should be changed to "Code".
>
> A patch to fix this would be very welcome.

Yes, I noticed that, too.  I'll try to patch it.  (Should be easier than
editing everything by hand.)

Yours,
Daniel

On 2014-06-05 15:19, Mike Miller wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 12:58:49 +0200, Daniel Kraft wrote:
>> 1) For functions with multiple signatures (for instance,
>> ls_solve_stationary [4]), the HTML looks very odd (with the second
>> signature intended).  It looks fine in Octave's help.  Is this expected
>> behaviour of generate_html, or is my Texinfo syntax wrong to produce
>> this kind of output?
>>
>>   [4] http://extra.domob.eu/level-set/function/ls_solve_stationary.html
>
> I suspect this may be due to Texinfo 5. Are you able to run
> generate_html using Texinfo 4? I keep a copy of Texinfo 4.13 around and
> set Octave's makeinfo_program to point to it when building package HTML.
> I don't remember specifically which problems were due to Texinfo 5, but
> there are some.
My system's Texinfo is already version 4.13, so unfortunately this
doesn't help.  I think I'll leave it for now, as this is only a "minor"
issue until I find out what the problem is.

>> 2) A lot of functions have demos, but with *none* of them the resulting
>> HTML includes a correct picture.  Is this a problem with my installation
>> of generate_html, or a bug in it?  It happens even if I add a trivial
>> demo like
>>
>>   x = linspace (-pi, pi, 100);
>>   plot (x, sin (x));
>
> And I think this is due to FLTK not being able to print non-visible
> figures. If you set graphics_toolkit to gnuplot for building package
> HTML docs you should get the correct demo plots.
This helps perfectly, thanks!  With setting the graphics toolkit to
Gnuplot, the demo graphics are created nicely.

Yours,
Daniel

--
http://www.domob.eu/
Namecoin: id/domob -> https://nameid.org/?name=domob
--
Done:  Arc-Bar-Cav-Hea-Kni-Ran-Rog-Sam-Tou-Val-Wiz
To go: Mon-Pri

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Generating package HTML for Octave Forge

Søren Hauberg

Den 06-06-2014 10:05, Daniel Kraft skrev:

> Hi!
>
> On 2014-06-05 15:19, Mike Miller wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 12:58:49 +0200, Daniel Kraft wrote:
>>> 1) For functions with multiple signatures (for instance,
>>> ls_solve_stationary [4]), the HTML looks very odd (with the second
>>> signature intended).  It looks fine in Octave's help.  Is this expected
>>> behaviour of generate_html, or is my Texinfo syntax wrong to produce
>>> this kind of output?
>>>
>>>    [4] http://extra.domob.eu/level-set/function/ls_solve_stationary.html
>> I suspect this may be due to Texinfo 5. Are you able to run
>> generate_html using Texinfo 4? I keep a copy of Texinfo 4.13 around and
>> set Octave's makeinfo_program to point to it when building package HTML.
>> I don't remember specifically which problems were due to Texinfo 5, but
>> there are some.
> My system's Texinfo is already version 4.13, so unfortunately this
> doesn't help.  I think I'll leave it for now, as this is only a "minor"
> issue until I find out what the problem is.
This is an issue with the HTML generated by texinfo, which only includes
the starting <div>, but not the ending </div>'s. Basically, it's a bug
in texinfo, which has been there for years :-(

Søren