Google Summer of Code 2012: Call for projects and mentors

12

Google Summer of Code 2012: Call for projects and mentors

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
As part of our application for Google Summer of Code 2012 application,

    http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=GSoC_2012_application

we ought to create a good-looking suggestion page for students that
says what projects are good for students and who might mentor them:

    http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=GSoC_Project_Ideas

I am hoping enough people are interested in (1) proposing students
projects and (2) *mentoring* them. The time commitment for mentoring
isn't huge. Perhaps 5 hours a week on average, 10 hours at most. Last
year the mentoring workload was distributed in the maintainers'
mailing list, and there's no reason why this can't happen again. So
please don't be shy about offering mentorship. Unlike student work,
mentoring is unpaid, so naturally we can't demand a fulltime com

Note that I think we should also consider Octave-Forge projects.
Please add Octave-Forge projects to the wiki as you deem appropriate.

If you are interested in mentoring, please write your name in the
appopriate location in the ideas page of the wiki.

Also, feel free to mercilessly edit the application page. I am
currently looking for a backup organisation administrator. Of course I
volunteer to do this right now, and I don't foresee needing a backup,
but this is what an administrator does:

    http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs#org_admin_role

I think the Ocave community could benefit a lot from GSoC. Please
consider helping with this effort.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Google Summer of Code 2012: Call for projects and mentors

Michael Goffioul
2012/2/14 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]>:
> As part of our application for Google Summer of Code 2012 application,
>
>    http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=GSoC_2012_application
>
> we ought to create a good-looking suggestion page for students that
> says what projects are good for students and who might mentor them:
>
>    http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=GSoC_Project_Ideas

Jordi,

First, nice job, well done.

I see that you considered as a possible project the implementation of
a Qt plot widget. QtHandles already does that (plus a significant part
of the uifoo functions). Where does the proposed project fit in this?

Also concerning the project about a graphical design tool for tuning
closed-loop control system, I would consider this as an application of
2 more fundamental missing pieces in octave:
1) the ability to select an object within an axes; I've already
searched a bit about that topic and OpenGL provides mechanisms to
select an object in a 3D scene (see for instance
http://glprogramming.com/red/chapter13.html); what we then probably
need is a specialized OpenGL renderer (inherited from the existing
one) that adds selection functionality
2) once an OpenGL selector is available, it can be used in the backend
(like FLTK or QtHandles) to implement select/drag operations of
graphics object using figure properties like WindowButtonDownFcn,
WindowButtonMotionFcn and WindowButtonUpFcn.

Michael.

Re: Google Summer of Code 2012: Call for projects and mentors

c.-2

On 14 Feb 2012, at 23:15, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> As part of our application for Google Summer of Code 2012 application,
>
>    http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=GSoC_2012_application
>
> we ought to create a good-looking suggestion page for students that
> says what projects are good for students and who might mentor them:
>
>    http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=GSoC_Project_Ideas
>
> I am hoping enough people are interested in (1) proposing students
> projects and (2) *mentoring* them. The time commitment for mentoring
> isn't huge. Perhaps 5 hours a week on average, 10 hours at most. Last
> year the mentoring workload was distributed in the maintainers'
> mailing list, and there's no reason why this can't happen again. So
> please don't be shy about offering mentorship. Unlike student work,
> mentoring is unpaid, so naturally we can't demand a fulltime com
>
> Note that I think we should also consider Octave-Forge projects.
> Please add Octave-Forge projects to the wiki as you deem appropriate.
>
> If you are interested in mentoring, please write your name in the
> appopriate location in the ideas page of the wiki.
>
> Also, feel free to mercilessly edit the application page. I am
> currently looking for a backup organisation administrator. Of course I
> volunteer to do this right now, and I don't foresee needing a backup,
> but this is what an administrator does:
>
>    http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs#org_admin_role
>
> I think the Ocave community could benefit a lot from GSoC. Please
> consider helping with this effort.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Jordi,

I see cholinc is listed among the projects for sparse matrices.
Notice that cholinc has been deprecated in matlab and is going to be substituted by ichol.
Wouldn't it be better to implement ichol directly?

c.

Re: Google Summer of Code 2012: Call for projects and mentors

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 14 February 2012 17:58, Michael Goffioul
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2012/2/14 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]>:
>> As part of our application for Google Summer of Code 2012
>> application,
>>
>>    http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=GSoC_2012_application
>>
>> we ought to create a good-looking suggestion page for students that
>> says what projects are good for students and who might mentor them:
>>
>>    http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=GSoC_Project_Ideas
>
> Jordi,
>
> First, nice job, well done.
>
> I see that you considered as a possible project the implementation
> of a Qt plot widget. QtHandles already does that (plus a significant
> part of the uifoo functions). Where does the proposed project fit in
> this?

I had forgotten about that. What do you say if I rework that task into
saying to just integrate QtHandles into Octave? And maybe lower its
difficulty to "easy"?

> Also concerning the project about a graphical design tool for tuning
> closed-loop control system, I would consider this as an application
> of 2 more fundamental missing pieces in octave:

That was Doug Stewart's suggestion, not mine. Surely it would be
acceptable to break up that task into two other tasks.

Can I put you down as a possible mentor for the GUI section? I think
you said over chat that you would be amenable to that task. It's not a
huge time commitment.

I still need a backup administrator... unless I get hit by a bus or
something, this should only be a ceremonial role. I hope someone steps
up to be one.

2012/2/14 c. <[hidden email]>:

> On 14 Feb 2012, at 23:15, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
>> As part of our application for Google Summer of Code 2012 application,
>>
>>    http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=GSoC_2012_application
>>
>> we ought to create a good-looking suggestion page for students that
>> says what projects are good for students and who might mentor them:
>>
>>    http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=GSoC_Project_Ideas
>>
>> I am hoping enough people are interested in (1) proposing students
>> projects and (2) *mentoring* them. The time commitment for mentoring
>> isn't huge. Perhaps 5 hours a week on average, 10 hours at most. Last
>> year the mentoring workload was distributed in the maintainers'
>> mailing list, and there's no reason why this can't happen again. So
>> please don't be shy about offering mentorship. Unlike student work,
>> mentoring is unpaid, so naturally we can't demand a fulltime com
>>
>> Note that I think we should also consider Octave-Forge projects.
>> Please add Octave-Forge projects to the wiki as you deem appropriate.
>>
>> If you are interested in mentoring, please write your name in the
>> appopriate location in the ideas page of the wiki.
>>
>> Also, feel free to mercilessly edit the application page. I am
>> currently looking for a backup organisation administrator. Of course I
>> volunteer to do this right now, and I don't foresee needing a backup,
>> but this is what an administrator does:
>>
>>    http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs#org_admin_role
>>
>> I think the Ocave community could benefit a lot from GSoC. Please
>> consider helping with this effort.
>>
> I see cholinc is listed among the projects for sparse matrices.
> Notice that cholinc has been deprecated in matlab and is going to be substituted by ichol.
> Wouldn't it be better to implement ichol directly?

Sure. Do you want to edit the wiki yourself to record this change?
That's why it's a wiki, so it's fast and easy to edit by anyone.

Also, would you be willing to mentor for any of these tasks?

- Jordi G. H.

Re: [OctDev] Google Summer of Code 2012: Call for projects and mentors

Juan Pablo Carbajal
2012/2/15 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]>:

> 2012/2/14 c. <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> On 14 Feb 2012, at 23:15, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>>
>>> As part of our application for Google Summer of Code 2012 application,
>>>
>>>    http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=GSoC_2012_application
>>>
>>> we ought to create a good-looking suggestion page for students that
>>> says what projects are good for students and who might mentor them:
>>>
>>>    http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=GSoC_Project_Ideas
>>>
>>> I am hoping enough people are interested in (1) proposing students
>>> projects and (2) *mentoring* them. The time commitment for mentoring
>>> isn't huge. Perhaps 5 hours a week on average, 10 hours at most. Last
>>> year the mentoring workload was distributed in the maintainers'
>>> mailing list, and there's no reason why this can't happen again. So
>>> please don't be shy about offering mentorship. Unlike student work,
>>> mentoring is unpaid, so naturally we can't demand a fulltime com
>>>
>>> Note that I think we should also consider Octave-Forge projects.
>>> Please add Octave-Forge projects to the wiki as you deem appropriate.
>>>
>>> If you are interested in mentoring, please write your name in the
>>> appopriate location in the ideas page of the wiki.
>>>
>>> Also, feel free to mercilessly edit the application page. I am
>>> currently looking for a backup organisation administrator. Of course I
>>> volunteer to do this right now, and I don't foresee needing a backup,
>>> but this is what an administrator does:
>>>
>>>    http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs#org_admin_role
>>>
>>> I think the Ocave community could benefit a lot from GSoC. Please
>>> consider helping with this effort.
>>>
>> I see cholinc is listed among the projects for sparse matrices.
>> Notice that cholinc has been deprecated in matlab and is going to be substituted by ichol.
>> Wouldn't it be better to implement ichol directly?
>
> Sure. Do you want to edit the wiki yourself to record this change?
> That's why it's a wiki, so it's fast and easy to edit by anyone.
>
> Also, would you be willing to mentor for any of these tasks?
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Hi Jordi,

Thanks for your initiative!

I was reading the application. What about adding, under the question
What steps will you take to encourage students to interact with your
project's community before, during and after the program?
Depending on their interests and code submitted, students will be put
in contact with maintainers/developers of packages for Octave
(Octave-forge packages). In this way we will promote further
collaboration.

... or something like that

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----

2012/2/15 Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]>:

> I was reading the application. What about adding, under the question
> What steps will you take to encourage students to interact with your
> project's community before, during and after the program?
> Depending on their interests and code submitted, students will be put
> in contact with maintainers/developers of packages for Octave
> (Octave-forge packages). In this way we will promote further
> collaboration.

Sounds like a good plan. Please add it to the wiki.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: [OctDev] Google Summer of Code 2012: Call for projects and mentors

Juan Pablo Carbajal
2012/2/15 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]>:
> Depending on their interests and code submitted, students will be put
>> in contact with maintainers/developers of packages for Octave
>> (Octave-forge packages). In this way we will promote further
>> collaboration.

Done.

I also added a project to the ideas (Infrastructure/Installing
packages). I think it something important, but wouldn't feel like
being an official mentor (no problem being an unofficial one!). Please
improve the idea if you can.

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----

On 15 Feb 2012, at 16:53, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> Sure. Do you want to edit the wiki yourself to record this change?
> That's why it's a wiki, so it's fast and easy to edit by anyone.
that's OK, do I need a password to do it?

> Also, would you be willing to mentor for any of these tasks?
I would agree to mentor some tasks, among those listed the
ones that better fit my area of expertise are those related to sparse matrices.

> - Jordi G. H.
c.

2012/2/15 c. <[hidden email]>:

> On 15 Feb 2012, at 16:53, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
>> Sure. Do you want to edit the wiki yourself to record this change?
>> That's why it's a wiki, so it's fast and easy to edit by anyone.
> that's OK, do I need a password to do it?

No, you just need to know the first three digits of pi.

>> Also, would you be willing to mentor for any of these tasks?
> I would agree to mentor some tasks, among those listed the
> ones that better fit my area of expertise are those related to sparse matrices.

Okay, want to add yourself to that task?

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Google Summer of Code 2012: Call for projects and mentors

Carnë Draug-2
On 15 February 2012 16:43, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15 Feb 2012, at 16:53, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
>> Sure. Do you want to edit the wiki yourself to record this change?
>> That's why it's a wiki, so it's fast and easy to edit by anyone.
> that's OK, do I need a password to do it?

You can make anynoimous edits or you can create your own account on the wiki.

Carnþe

Re: [OctDev] Google Summer of Code 2012: Call for projects and mentors

Lukas Reichlin-2
On 14.02.2012, at 23:15, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> Note that I think we should also consider Octave-Forge projects.
> Please add Octave-Forge projects to the wiki as you deem appropriate.

Hi Jordi

I do have an idea for an Octave-Forge project: Improve the "symbolic" package:
- use objects & classes of Octave to enable stuff like overloaded methods for symbolic matrices. This could be done in C++ in a way similar to Michele Martone's new "sparsersb" package.
- include the ginac library into the package such that there are no external libraries required. External libraries are often a pain in the proverbial on certain platforms.
An example of included libraries is the "odepkg" package which includes some tgz archives that are compiled upon package installation. Maybe a simpler symbolic math program like mathomatic could be sufficient (instead of ginac).

A possible application of the rewritten "symbolic" package: I'd like to create uncertain state-space models in the control package. One could specify variables with a nominal value and a deviation. Then the control package would transform the state-space model into an LFT consisting of a nominal plant and separate uncertainties. This is a tedious but frequent task in control engineering.
But the symbolic package is also useful on its own.

Best regards,
Lukas

Re: [OctDev] Google Summer of Code 2012: Call for projects and mentors

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
Hi, Lukas.

2012/2/16 Lukas Reichlin <[hidden email]>:
> On 14.02.2012, at 23:15, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
>> Note that I think we should also consider Octave-Forge projects.
>> Please add Octave-Forge projects to the wiki as you deem appropriate.

> I do have an idea for an Octave-Forge project: Improve the
> "symbolic" package:
> - use objects & classes of Octave to enable stuff like overloaded
> methods for symbolic matrices. This could be done in C++ in a way
> similar to Michele Martone's new "sparsersb" package.

This sounds worthwhile. If you're able to mentor such a project, add
it to the wiki. We do get frequent requests for a working symbolic
package, so it would be nice if it were actually useful for something.

> - include the ginac library into the package such that there are no
> external libraries required. External libraries are often a pain in
> the proverbial on certain platforms.

This isn't a solution. Bundling of libraries presents its own problem.
It's the solution that proprietary software prefers, because
proprietary software doesn't know how to cooperate very well with
other software, proprietary or not (e.g. Windows and MacOS don't have
a native packaging system). When everything's hidden and forbidden,
everything hates everything else and it produces disharmony in the OS
instead of collaboration between different parts.

The solution is to properly package GiNaC in whatever packaging system
you personally happen to prefer for MacOS, which I think is the
platform you regrettably are using.

> An example of included libraries is the "odepkg" package which
> includes some tgz archives that are compiled upon package
> installation.

I wasn't aware that it was doing this, but already it's possible to
see how this is a problem. You will observe that it's patching the
bundled libraries, implementing fixes that apparently are unique to
Octave. Who else is using these libraries? Who else might want these
fixes? Why are we maintaining our own patch set instead of
collaboratively maintaining it with anyone else who might be
interested? Are we all in the numerical community independently
reimplementing again and again the same fixes in these packages?

Such was the situation with ARPACK, which everyone was using, and
everyone was independently patching over and over again, in the same
way, in effect, everyone creating their own fork. It took a lot of
communication and collaboration between different free software users,
but now we have a centrally-located and community-maintained version
of it. This is the right thing to do. I don't know how feasible it is
to do this for the bundled libraries of odepkg, but it should be
considered. If they are completely abandoned libraries and nobody but
us is using them, like what happens in libcruft in Octave, then it's
an acceptable compromise to bundle them, but if there is any sort of
upstream maintenance or a community of users, they should be
collaboratively maintained.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: [OctDev] Google Summer of Code 2012: Call for projects and mentors

bpabbott
Administrator

On Feb 16, 2012, at 8:28 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> Hi, Lukas.
>
> 2012/2/16 Lukas Reichlin <[hidden email]>:
>> On 14.02.2012, at 23:15, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>>
>>> Note that I think we should also consider Octave-Forge projects.
>>> Please add Octave-Forge projects to the wiki as you deem appropriate.
>
>> I do have an idea for an Octave-Forge project: Improve the
>> "symbolic" package:
>> - use objects & classes of Octave to enable stuff like overloaded
>> methods for symbolic matrices. This could be done in C++ in a way
>> similar to Michele Martone's new "sparsersb" package.
>
> This sounds worthwhile. If you're able to mentor such a project, add
> it to the wiki. We do get frequent requests for a working symbolic
> package, so it would be nice if it were actually useful for something.
>
>> - include the ginac library into the package such that there are no
>> external libraries required. External libraries are often a pain in
>> the proverbial on certain platforms.
>
> This isn't a solution. Bundling of libraries presents its own problem.
> It's the solution that proprietary software prefers, because
> proprietary software doesn't know how to cooperate very well with
> other software, proprietary or not (e.g. Windows and MacOS don't have
> a native packaging system). When everything's hidden and forbidden,
> everything hates everything else and it produces disharmony in the OS
> instead of collaboration between different parts.
>
> The solution is to properly package GiNaC in whatever packaging system
> you personally happen to prefer for MacOS, which I think is the
> platform you regrettably are using.

Jordi, I agree with your thought on the value of a good packaging system.

At the same time, given that most MacOS users and WIndows users don't use packaging systems, and don't have developer tools installed.

For those who do have a packing system (including Linux users), how is the package makefile to know if a GiNaC is already installed? And if it isn't what to do?

My impression is some significant work is needed to accommodate octave packages that depend upon libraries that Octave does not. Perhaps this is another good project for GSoC?

Ben

2012/2/16 Ben Abbott <[hidden email]>:
> My impression is some significant work is needed to accommodate
> octave packages that depend upon libraries that Octave does not.
> Perhaps this is another good project for GSoC?

I think we have indeed already proposed these projects in the page:

     http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=GSoC_Project_Ideas#Infrastructure

Feel free to amend or clarify anything there.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: [OctDev] Google Summer of Code 2012: Call for projects and mentors

Nir Krakauer-2
I added my name to the numerical section and proposed another small
possible project.

Nir

2012/2/16 Nir Krakauer <[hidden email]>:
> I added my name to the numerical section and proposed another small
> possible project.

Excellent!

I removed my name from the Numerical section and added it to the GUI
section so that at least each general subject area has a potential
mentor.

I repeat that mentoring is not a huge time commitment, nor is the
mentor solely responsible for answering all of the mentee's questions.
If you don't know something, you can always rely on the mailing lists
and Octave community to help with the problems. A mentor is mostly a
point of contact for the mentee, but doesn't have to be the ultimate
authority on the student's project.

So, don't be shy to be mentors! ;-)

On 16.02.2012, at 14:28, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> Hi, Lukas.
>
> 2012/2/16 Lukas Reichlin <[hidden email]>:
>> On 14.02.2012, at 23:15, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>>
>>> Note that I think we should also consider Octave-Forge projects.
>>> Please add Octave-Forge projects to the wiki as you deem appropriate.
>
>> I do have an idea for an Octave-Forge project: Improve the
>> "symbolic" package:
>> - use objects & classes of Octave to enable stuff like overloaded
>> methods for symbolic matrices. This could be done in C++ in a way
>> similar to Michele Martone's new "sparsersb" package.
>
> This sounds worthwhile. If you're able to mentor such a project, add
> it to the wiki. We do get frequent requests for a working symbolic
> package, so it would be nice if it were actually useful for something.

Hmm, I write my thesis this summer and I want to focus on that. (It includes implementing system identification tools for Octave :) Maybe I could serve as a backup mentor (if someone gets hit by a bus)?

>> - include the ginac library into the package such that there are no
>> external libraries required. External libraries are often a pain in
>> the proverbial on certain platforms.
>
> This isn't a solution. Bundling of libraries presents its own problem.
> It's the solution that proprietary software prefers, because
> proprietary software doesn't know how to cooperate very well with
> other software, proprietary or not (e.g. Windows and MacOS don't have
> a native packaging system). When everything's hidden and forbidden,
> everything hates everything else and it produces disharmony in the OS
> instead of collaboration between different parts.
>
> The solution is to properly package GiNaC in whatever packaging system
> you personally happen to prefer for MacOS, which I think is the
> platform you regrettably are using.

I think that Octave packages - unlike Octave itself - should be self-containing as they need to be installed/compiled by non-expert users. My control package includes the SLICOT library (as discussed on the help list on Monday, I will include it in a more elegant way) and it works pretty well. I don't want the user to worry about SLICOT installation, version conflicts … And I don't want to provide up-to-date SLICOT packages for every OS and packaging system.

>> An example of included libraries is the "odepkg" package which
>> includes some tgz archives that are compiled upon package
>> installation.
>
> I wasn't aware that it was doing this, but already it's possible to
> see how this is a problem. You will observe that it's patching the
> bundled libraries, implementing fixes that apparently are unique to
> Octave. Who else is using these libraries? Who else might want these
> fixes? Why are we maintaining our own patch set instead of
> collaboratively maintaining it with anyone else who might be
> interested? Are we all in the numerical community independently
> reimplementing again and again the same fixes in these packages?
>
> Such was the situation with ARPACK, which everyone was using, and
> everyone was independently patching over and over again, in the same
> way, in effect, everyone creating their own fork. It took a lot of
> communication and collaboration between different free software users,
> but now we have a centrally-located and community-maintained version
> of it. This is the right thing to do. I don't know how feasible it is
> to do this for the bundled libraries of odepkg, but it should be
> considered. If they are completely abandoned libraries and nobody but
> us is using them, like what happens in libcruft in Octave, then it's
> an acceptable compromise to bundle them, but if there is any sort of
> upstream maintenance or a community of users, they should be
> collaboratively maintained.

I like the idea behind arpack-ng, but I think we're talking about cross purposes. I dont want to patch/fork/maintain
ginac or slicot. I just include a maintained library in the package in the sense of "batteries included". Your approach is acceptable for Octave itself, as only expert users compile their own binary which are able to juggle with dependencies. Maybe with the help of a package manager. This is not true for regular users which want to install a new package on platforms you dislike.

> - Jordi G. H.

Regards,
Lukas

Re: [OctDev] Google Summer of Code 2012: Call for projects and mentors

Fotios Kasolis
Jordi,

I do not know if you find it a good idea but you can add a subsection in
the numerical section regarding implementing initial - boundary value
solvers for parabolic and elliptic pdes 1 spatial + time (pdepe) and add
me as a mentor.

/Fotios

On 16 February 2012 13:19, fotios <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I do not know if you find it a good idea but you can add a subsection in the
> numerical section regarding implementing initial - boundary value solvers
> for parabolic and elliptic pdes 1 spatial + time (pdepe) and add me as a
> mentor.

Sounds good, go ahead and add yourself there.

- Jordi G. H.
12