Google Summer of Code organization applications open Jan 29-Feb 19

Google Summer of Code organization applications open Jan 29-Feb 19

Nicholas Jankowski-2
GSOC org applications open in a month. Worth remembering that this year they’ve changed the program to shorter duration projects (maybe half the notional size/workload as previous years). Was peeking at the linked Project Ideas list, and the “Infrastructure project” section seemed interesting. Pkg infrastructure is close, but the other infrastructure ones on our list are more side projects rather than “work that helps other work done”.

Re: Google Summer of Code organization applications open Jan 29-Feb 19

Nir Krakauer-3
Yes, now would be a good time to look at the Octave Wiki and see if
any projects where you're listed as a mentor need updating, or if
there are new projects you'd like to see happen.

[GSoC 2021] Octave wiki: please update your project if you like to become mentor this year

siko1056
On 1/21/21 12:05 AM, Nir Krakauer wrote:
> Yes, now would be a good time to look at the Octave Wiki and see if
> any projects where you're listed as a mentor need updating, or if
> there are new projects you'd like to see happen.

In addition to Nir, if you receive this mail in CC and you are not going
to become mentor this year, can you please update the wiki shortly?
Thank you 🙂

Nir, would you like to lead the GSoC application this year again?  And
good catch, I went ahead with a big brush and removed many spider webs
from the wiki [1].

Some projects which seemed to me too complex for the shortened GSoC time
or outdated got brushed out, too.  If I was too harsh, please add,
update, and extend them again.

The biggest change is that I deprecated those "wiki student application
templates".  The GSoC registration has changed since those days when the
template was useful.

Last year I felt that I had to study too many locations about a
candidate (GSoC website, GSoC proposal PDF, wiki user page with
template, mailing-list communication, bug and patch tracker, ...)
whereas the wiki user page proved as least updated/informative compared
to the GSoC proposal PDF.

Kai

[1] https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_-_Getting_Started

Re: [GSoC 2021] Octave wiki: please update your project if you like to become mentor this year

Nir Krakauer-3
Thanks Kai! Yes, I'm willing to lead the application to Google again. I agree with simplifying the SoC Wiki page, we can move the less appropriate project topics, or ones that don't have available mentors, to the general Projects page.

[GSoC 2021] application

Nir Krakauer-3
I started on the application [1]. If you were previously a mentor and
would like to be one of the organization administrators this year,
please let me know.

[1] https://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_2021_application

Re: [GSoC 2021] application

siko1056
On 2/4/21 8:09 AM, Nir Krakauer wrote:
> I started on the application [1]. If you were previously a mentor and
> would like to be one of the organization administrators this year,
> please let me know.
>
> [1] https://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_2021_application

Thank you very much Nir.

I would like to be administrator and mentor this year again.

Kai

Re: [GSoC 2021] application

Ankit
Hi,

Would love to be part of org as Admin and co-mentor.

Thanks!

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 11:48 AM Kai Torben Ohlhus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2/4/21 8:09 AM, Nir Krakauer wrote:
> I started on the application [1]. If you were previously a mentor and
> would like to be one of the organization administrators this year,
> please let me know.
>
> [1] https://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_2021_application

Thank you very much Nir.

I would like to be administrator and mentor this year again.

Kai

Re: [GSoC 2021] application

Carlo de Falco-2

> Il giorno 4 feb 2021, alle ore 00:09, Nir Krakauer <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> I started on the application [1]. If you were previously a mentor and
> would like to be one of the organization administrators this year,
> please let me know.
>
> [1] https://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_2021_application

I'm very happy to help again this year either as mentor and/or backup admin.
c.