Greek symbols in plot labels

Ron Crummett
Hi -

I am trying to add a label to a plot and the label is comprised of both
standard characters and Greek characters, for instance, "Frequency
between 0 and 2<pi>"  Of course, I want to use the actual character for
pi in the label.  This should be doable by setting my terminal type to
an enhanced type and issuing the command

xlabel('Frequency between 0 and 2{/Symbol p}');

However, when I do this, the entire label is displayed in Greek
characters and hence makes no real sense.  When I issue the command a
second time from the terminal it works.  But when I try issuing the
command twice in a script it doesn't work.  Is there something more I
need to do?  I know that technically this would be considered a gnuplot
question but it doesn't give problems in gnuplot leading me to believe
that the issue is somewhere in Octave-gnuplot interaction.

Thanks

-Ron

Re: Greek symbols in plot labels

Dmitri A. Sergatskov
On 6/19/06, Ron Crummett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I am trying to add a label to a plot and the label is comprised of both
> standard characters and Greek characters, for instance, "Frequency
> between 0 and 2<pi>"  Of course, I want to use the actual character for
> pi in the label.  This should be doable by setting my terminal type to
> an enhanced type and issuing the command
>
> xlabel('Frequency between 0 and 2{/Symbol p}');
>
> However, when I do this, the entire label is displayed in Greek
> characters and hence makes no real sense.  When I issue the command a
> second time from the terminal it works.  But when I try issuing the
> command twice in a script it doesn't work.  Is there something more I
> need to do?  I know that technically this would be considered a gnuplot
> question but it doesn't give problems in gnuplot leading me to believe
> that the issue is somewhere in Octave-gnuplot interaction.

Using octave  2.9.5 (Fedora Core 5) the following seems to work fine:

octave:1> s=randn(10);
octave:2> xlabel('Frequency between 0 and 2{/Symbol p}');
octave:3> plot(s)
octave:4> print("testps.ps", "-dpsc2")

(I can send you the output file privately.)

So, tell us in more details about your configuration and the command
sequence you use for plots. If your octave is rather old, make sure
you have set automatic_replot to 0.

> Thanks
>
> -Ron

Sincerely,

Dmitri.

Re: Greek symbols in plot labels

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
On 6/19/06, Ron Crummett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am trying to add a label to a plot and the label is comprised of both
> standard characters and Greek characters,

An alternate solution, if this is an .eps file you want to include
with a LaTeX document, is to use something like the LaTeX psfrag
package for labelling  your graphs. It's relatively easy. You put
dummy labels with Octave and then use psfrag to put the real labels
into the finished TeX. This has the added benefit that all fonts in
your figures correspond perfectly to fonts in your TeX file.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Greek symbols in plot labels

John W. Eaton-6
On 20-Jun-2006, Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso wrote:

| On 6/19/06, Ron Crummett <[hidden email]> wrote:
| > I am trying to add a label to a plot and the label is comprised of both
| > standard characters and Greek characters,
|
| An alternate solution, if this is an .eps file you want to include
| with a LaTeX document, is to use something like the LaTeX psfrag
| package for labelling  your graphs. It's relatively easy. You put
| dummy labels with Octave and then use psfrag to put the real labels
| into the finished TeX. This has the added benefit that all fonts in
| your figures correspond perfectly to fonts in your TeX file.

Does that work with PDF files too?

I prefer the epslatex terminal.  You can convert the PS part to PDF
and the TeX part which contains the labels is processed by TeX, so can
contain any TeX fonts/symbols/whatever.

On 6/20/06, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> | An alternate solution, if this is an .eps file you want to include
> | with a LaTeX document, is to use something like the LaTeX psfrag
> | package for labelling  your graphs. It's relatively easy. You put
> | dummy labels with Octave and then use psfrag to put the real labels
> | into the finished TeX. This has the added benefit that all fonts in
> | your figures correspond perfectly to fonts in your TeX file.
>
> Does that work with PDF files too?

Sort of... You can create a .ps file and then run ps2pdf to generate a
pdf file from that. I usually automate this process by writing a very
simple-minded makefile, so that I can compile the TeX as I'm editting
in Emacs.

On occasions, I've seen this messes up some fonts slightly in the pdf
for mysterious reasons. Sometimes it happens, and sometimes it
doesn't. I'm mystified.

> I prefer the epslatex terminal.  You can convert the PS part to PDF
> and the TeX part which contains the labels is processed by TeX, so can
> contain any TeX fonts/symbols/whatever.

Never tried that. I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion!

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Greek symbols in plot labels

DGati
Ron Crummett wrote
[...]

To avoid having the entire label in Greek, you can use the \ character, like this:
xlabel('Saving rate \gamma')

This only converts gamma to the real character. However, sometimes it doesn't recognize some characters. I keep having issues with ro...

Re: Greek symbols in plot labels

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 25 August 2011 12:06, DGati <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This only converts gamma to the real character. However, sometimes it
> doesn't recognize some characters. I keep having issues with ro...

You mean rho?

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Greek symbols in plot labels

DGati
Yes I meant rho. Sorry for confusing you.