Heavy 3D graph crashing octave

rcharan51
I have a problem when I surf plot a big 3d surface. It is not only slow to interact (just to change the view), many it crashes octave(fltk toolkit, octave 4.0.0, Win10 64 bit 8GB ram). I think  using gnuplot makes it even worse.

So, Can anyone help me to reduce the data points density to such a extent that it wont affect the shape of the surface? Is data binning a alternative for this problem?

FYI the mat file of the surface is 350MB !!

Here are the files ( X Y Z data)
https://drive.google.com/a/iitbbs.ac.in/folderview?id=0B8j-cnUfgldTNU80NVoyejFVd2c&usp=sharing

Re: Heavy 3D graph crashing octave

PhilipNienhuis
rcharan51 wrote
I have a problem when I surf plot a big 3d surface. It is not only slow to interact (just to change the view), many it crashes octave(fltk toolkit, octave 4.0.0, Win10 64 bit 8GB ram). I think  using gnuplot makes it even worse.

So, Can anyone help me to reduce the data points density to such a extent that it wont affect the shape of the surface? Is data binning a alternative for this problem?

FYI the mat file of the surface is 350MB !!

Here are the files ( X Y Z data)
https://drive.google.com/a/iitbbs.ac.in/folderview?id=0B8j-cnUfgldTNU80NVoyejFVd2c&usp=sharing
Have a look in the patch tracker; lately function "reducevolme" has been added there + a few related functions (smooth3, isosurf, isocaps).

Philip

Philip
Thank you for the tip. My problem is of a surface not volume. I thought griddata would help me decrease the density of data points but my base arrays are large and "insufficient memory" error is produced. I am clueless about how to proceed.

[...]

Maybe if you google for "reducevolume matlab" and pick the first it you'll get a better feeling for how it can help you.

Philip

Re: Heavy 3D graph crashing octave

rcharan51
I was unnecessarily complicating things. A simple indexing trick(as mentioned in reducevolume code) was enough.
surf(xdat(1:xr:end,1:yr:end),ydat(1:xr:end,1:yr:end),zdat(1:xr:end,1:yr:end)) reduced the density of data points and made the graph lite to use.

Thank you philip for the suggestion.