Help me: Octave installation on win95

Victor Aina
Hi everyone,

I have attempted to install both octave and g77 for CYGWIN32.
Unfortunately, haven't succeeded. Here  are the steps I followed.
First I installed the executable binary (development) tool--cdk.exe.
Then, I did:

cd c:\gnuwin32\b18
bash
$ ln -s gcc g77-0.5.19.1
$ tar zxvf g77-0.5.19.1.tar.gz

Then I got the following message:

tar: Could not link H-i386-cygwin32/bin/i386-cygwin32-gcc.exe
     to H-i386-cygwin32/bin/gcc.exe

However, the installation instruction says

2. Follow the standard procedure for adding g77-0.5.19.1 to gcc source

   % cd /src/gnu/gnu-win32-b18; ln -s gcc g77-0.5.19.1
   % tar zxvf g77-0.5.19.1.tar.gz

   % cd /src/gnu/gnu-win32-b18
   % patch -p1 < THIS_PATCH_FILE

Now the path /src/gnu-win32-b18 is not available. It wasn't created
after installing cdk.exe.

I'll appreciate any help in installing these programs.
My system is: win95 with cyrix P200+. In particular, I'd
like a step-by-step instruction that worked for anyone who
may have installed any or both octave and g77.

Sorry if this is very trivial, I have searched the internet
(AltaVista) for instructions. Got to an OS2 version of g77,
installed it, but wouldn't run under win95. Complained that
the program must be run under DOS, not from win95.

And yes, what is so obvious to the gurus is NOT at all obvious
to a newbie like myself.

Thanks for your help

Victor.

 ___________________
||   victor aina   ||

Re: Help me: Octave installation on win95

Mumit Khan-2
Victor Aina <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have attempted to install both octave and g77 for CYGWIN32.
> Unfortunately, haven't succeeded. Here  are the steps I followed.
> First I installed the executable binary (development) tool--cdk.exe.
> Then, I did:
>
> cd c:\gnuwin32\b18
> bash
> $ ln -s gcc g77-0.5.19.1
> $ tar zxvf g77-0.5.19.1.tar.gz

This is for rebuilding from source, and not for installing the g77
binaries.

You seem to have confused "binary" vs "source" installations; you should
try the source patch *iff* you've retrieved the whole source tree from
Cygnus, not the binary release. If you're retrieved the Cygnus binary
release (ie., cdk.exe), then you should get the g77 binaries, not the
source patch.

Step 1:
    - get cdk.exe from Cygnus and install. Let's assume the pathname
      you've chosen is /gnuwin32/b18

    - make sure gcc and friends run (follow the instructions for setting
      environment variables such as GCC_EXEC_PREFIX and PATH).

Step 2:
    - get the g77-0.5.19.1 *BINARIES* for cygwin32 b18 from my web page.
    - now simply untar the distribution on top of gnuwin32/b18.

        C:\> bash
        $ cd /gnuwin32/b18 <<<<<<< Change if appropriate
        $ tar zxvf /tmp/g77-0.5.19-cygwin32-b18.tar.gz

      Ignore warnings about "Cannot set time", "Cannot set ownership" etc
      from tar. These are harmless.

Step 3:
    - test g77 on a simple program

I understand that this is not the easiest way to do things, but the
constraints on my time simply kills the possibility of doing anything
simpler for the new arrivals to gnu-win32 or GNU tools. Sorry. Maybe
someone will volunteer to write up a step by step instructions on doing
this.

Hope this helps.
Mumit

Re: Help me: Octave installation on win95

Victor Aina
> You seem to have confused "binary" vs "source" installations;

You are absolutely right. I'll implement your procedure
for the binary installation.

> Hope this helps.

Yes, I hope I am on my way to doing stuff now.

> Mumit

Best regards.

|    victor aina    |