Hi

Brendan Cusick-2
I'm sure I am doing something wrong.  I downloaded octave according to instructions.  There is an octave icon on my desktop.  However, when i open, all i get is a black prompt window.  Suggestions on how to get the program started?

Thanks.
Brendan

Hi

On 22-Jan-2009, Brendan Cusick wrote:

| I'm sure I am doing something wrong.  I downloaded octave according to
| instructions.  There is an octave icon on my desktop.  However, when i open,
| all i get is a black prompt window.  Suggestions on how to get the program
| started?

You got it started.

Now, type a command at the prompt, like

  octave:1> help

or

  octave:1> inv ([1,2;3,4])

Would it make you feel better if the window that comes up when you
click on the icon had the familiar [File] [Edit] ... [Help] buttons,
but you still had to type commands at a prompt?  Would you have been
less confused if those buttons had appeared?  This is a serious
question.  Have we now arrived at a point where people can't use
software if it doesn't present thse buttons?

Re: Hi

Francesco Potortì
>Would it make you feel better if the window that comes up when you
>click on the icon had the familiar [File] [Edit] ... [Help] buttons,
>but you still had to type commands at a prompt?  Would you have been
>less confused if those buttons had appeared?  This is a serious
>question.  Have we now arrived at a point where people can't use
>software if it doesn't present thse buttons?

>From my experience, think this moment has arrived long ago on Windows,
in fact.  And recently it has arrived on Linux, too, thanks to desktop
user interfaces like Gnome and Kde.  I suggest that Octave keeps this
into account.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040

Re: Hi

Martin Weiser-4
Cituji Brendan Cusick <[hidden email]>:

> I'm sure I am doing something wrong.  I downloaded octave according to
> instructions.  There is an octave icon on my desktop.  However, when i open,
> all i get is a black prompt window.  Suggestions on how to get the program
> started?
>
> Thanks.
> Brendan

Hi,
as JWE said, black prompt window is what you should get. But, if you
feel really unfamiliar with it, try graphical user interface to
Octave, named QtOctave (web search helps). I do not use it personally,
but some friends of mine do and they look quite content. (I have a
strong feeling that it is just a matter of a taste, as it does not
provide anything more than the prompt does, but it is clickable). (I
guess that it was Crawley who wrote in his book about S-plus something
like: "Life is short. Use commandline.")
But: be aware that lots of users here in this list do not use it, so
if you ran into the trouble with the interface (not with the Octave
itself), less people will be able to help you.
Anyway, enjoy Octave.
martin w.

Re: Hi

Brendan Cusick-2
The Octave window looks exactly like what I remember of MS DOS, and so
didn't realize that I had actually launched the app.  I thought I
needed to do something further to get to the program.  Contrast this
with R, which really is just the same thing but with a white window.
The small differences of 1) having a white rather than black window
and 2) the header "R Console" on the top, really make a difference.  I
think something designating that yes, in fact, you are currently using
octave, could eliminate more amateur questions like mine.