History in Octave GUI

octaveUser2M
Pressing the up/dn arrows on the keyboard does not show command history in Octave GUI on Mavericks. Is that feature not currently available or how enabled?

Re: History in Octave GUI

bpabbott
Administrator

> On Sep 15, 2014, at 9:18 PM, octaveUser2M <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Pressing the up/dn arrows on the keyboard does not show command history in
> Octave GUI on Mavericks. Is that feature not currently available or how enabled?

What version of Octave do you have installed?

Ben

Re: History in Octave GUI

octaveUser2M
3.8.0

Re: History in Octave GUI

bpabbott
Administrator

> On Sep 15, 2014, at 9:55 PM, octaveUser2M <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 3.8.0

The first version which worked correctly for me was 3.8.2

Ben

Re: History in Octave GUI

c.-2

On 16 Sep 2014, at 05:32, Benjamin Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Sep 15, 2014, at 9:55 PM, octaveUser2M <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> 3.8.0
>
> The first version which worked correctly for me was 3.8.2
>
> Ben

I am preparing a binaty app bundle for 3.8.2, I hope to be able to make it available soon.
c.
jkr

Re: History in Octave GUI

jkr
bpabbott wrote
> On Sep 15, 2014, at 9:55 PM, octaveUser2M <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 3.8.0

The first version which worked correctly for me was 3.8.2

Ben

Can you tell me how to install 3.8.2.  Just went through updating to 3.8.1 using home-brew.
jkr

Re: History in Octave GUI

jkr
I installed 3.8.2 from a dmg I found via another thread.  It installed gracefully under /usr/local/octave, alongside 3.8.0.  Meanwhile, before I found that dmg, I built what I thought would be 3.8.2 using homebrew.  That turned out to install 3.8.1, and in a different location (under /usr/local/Cellar/octave).  Now I have 3.8.1 and 3.8.2 (3.8.2 having replaced 3.8.0 as expected in the GUI launcher - the code is still where it was).

3.8.1 seems to work fine, but it doesn't have a GUI (at least, not the way I built it with homebrew).

3.8.2 launches a GUI alright, and has command recall, but doesn't work correctly.  plot() never plots.  It brings up gnuplot_qt (as does 3.8.1), but then gnuplot_qt crashes.

I can live with 3.8.1, though as a migrant from Matlab, I'm pretty thoroughly spoiled by its GUI.  I'd like 3.8.2 to work.  I suspect it is calling the wrong graphics routine, as a consequence of the 3.8.1 installation somehow.  The instructions for 3.8.1 involved installing XQuartz, which seems like the qt in gnuplot_qt may be referring to.

Since the installation processes for 3.8.1 and 3.8.2 resulted in separate installations, and each has bits and dependencies all over the place, I don't know how to disentangle them if this if interference between them is the problem.

Clues appreciated.
jkr

Re: History in Octave GUI

jkr
please post
On Nov 25, 2014, at 10:19 PM, jkr [via Octave] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/History-in-Octave-GUI-tp4666532p4667500.html
To unsubscribe from History in Octave GUI, click here.
NAML

Re: History in Octave GUI

c.-2

On 26 Nov 2014, at 07:19, jkr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I installed 3.8.2 from a dmg I found via another thread.
that dmg was just a test for a binary release for Mavericks,
it was never intended for use on Yosemite, if it partially
works on Yosemite it is just by accident.

I will probably release a 3.8.2 dmg for Yosemite some time next month
as soon as I have time to upgrade my OS.

c.

jkr

Re: History in Octave GUI

jkr
Quite fair enough, I was duly warned about lack of readiness for Yosemite.  Blind optimism took me beyond where you'd prepared - my bad.  Thanks so much for your efforts.  As a Matlab refugee, I eagerly look forward to the GUI, but the earlier dmg release with 3.8.0 without command line recall I found unsatisfactory.  I'll carry on with command line 3.8.1 until GUI 3.8.2 is ready.