Hosting plot demos

Pantxo
Hi,

I'd like to start tracking regression in the graphics/printing system
ahead of Octave 6.1 release. For this we need to run plot demos and make
them available on a central place.

Andy, since you have "traditionally" hosted the plot demo comparison
pages on your server, I took the liberty to cc you directly, in case you
would accept to continue.

Or better, if we could have a dedicated page, this would avoid relying
on a private server.

Pantxo

Re: Hosting plot demos

Andreas Weber-6
Hi Pantxo,

Am 05.01.20 um 15:36 schrieb Pantxo Diribarne:
> I'd like to start tracking regression in the graphics/printing system
> ahead of Octave 6.1 release. For this we need to run plot demos and make
> them available on a central place.

This is a very good idea.
Btw, I always had the dream to build something with php which let
users/contributors compare the resulting plots and have some radiobuttons:

[ ] as good as or better than the other software product
[ ] some minor details
[ ] major issue, describe here:

.. or something like that and being able to filter the results

> Andy, since you have "traditionally" hosted the plot demo comparison
> pages on your server, I took the liberty to cc you directly, in case you
> would accept to continue.

Sure, I can continue to host it.

-- Andy

Re: Hosting plot demos

Pantxo
Le 05/01/2020 à 17:52, Andreas Weber a écrit :

> Hi Pantxo,
>
> Am 05.01.20 um 15:36 schrieb Pantxo Diribarne:
>> I'd like to start tracking regression in the graphics/printing system
>> ahead of Octave 6.1 release. For this we need to run plot demos and make
>> them available on a central place.
> This is a very good idea.
> Btw, I always had the dream to build something with php which let
> users/contributors compare the resulting plots and have some radiobuttons:
>
> [ ] as good as or better than the other software product
> [ ] some minor details
> [ ] major issue, describe here:
>
> .. or something like that and being able to filter the results
>
>> Andy, since you have "traditionally" hosted the plot demo comparison
>> pages on your server, I took the liberty to cc you directly, in case you
>> would accept to continue.
> Sure, I can continue to host it.
>
> -- Andy

Thanks Andy! I'll ask the demos to be run on Matlab and come back to you
with a set of images to be uploaded.

Now about your proposition of interactively "rating" demos, how would
you compile those information? In any event I know nothing about php and
it thus looks to me like a big project.

Pantxo

Re: Hosting plot demos

Andreas Weber-6
Hi Pantxo,

Am 05.01.20 um 23:12 schrieb Pantxo Diribarne:
> Now about your proposition of interactively "rating" demos, how would
> you compile those information? In any event I know nothing about php and
> it thus looks to me like a big project.

Yes absolutely, it would be a big project. It was just and idea/dream to
have a rating system for the plots.

But perhaps we can revive https://wiki.octave.org/Plot_comparison
where I've previously listed problems with the generated plots.

Btw, which graphics_toolkits do you want to test? Qt, gnuplot, fltk?

-- Andy

Re: Hosting plot demos

Pantxo

Le lun. 6 janv. 2020 à 13:29, Andreas Weber <[hidden email]> a écrit :

But perhaps we can revive https://wiki.octave.org/Plot_comparison
where I've previously listed problems with the generated plots.
Yes, it is quite handy to have the detailed issues, with links to the image.

Btw, which graphics_toolkits do you want to test? Qt, gnuplot, fltk?

My first idea was to put, aside ML images,  at least Qt-opengl (getframe based), Qt-painters (gl2ps based). The former is is a good representation of Octave onsceen figures, the latter is pretty much what you would obtain for vector outputs.

I have tried using FLTK and it produces pretty much the same as Qt with the painters renderer (only do getframe demos fail for FLTK), so I don't think it is very useful to include it.

As for Gnuplot, AFAICS this toolkit has not received much attention lately (if any) and I expect many regressions from the reports against recent versions of Gnuplot. It may be useful to include Gnuplot images, just in order get an idea of the current state... We never know, maybe someone will jump in and fix at least the most prominent regressions.

Pantxo

Re: Hosting plot demos

Pantxo
Le 06/01/2020 à 13:48, Pantxo Diribarne a écrit :

[...]

Here is a link to the archive containing the images produced by ML, Gnuplot 5.2, Qt painters and Qt-opengl, together with the comparison html pages:

https://send.firefox.com/download/c4eaa2e47effe06c/#b6U8CPbE3P6xahyDbs1KAg

Pantxo

Re: Hosting plot demos

Andreas Weber-6
Am 07.01.20 um 00:12 schrieb Pantxo Diribarne:
> Here is a link to the archive containing the images produced by ML,
> Gnuplot 5.2, Qt painters and Qt-opengl, together with the comparison
> html pages:
>
> https://send.firefox.com/download/c4eaa2e47effe06c/#b6U8CPbE3P6xahyDbs1KAg

I've uploaded them and added the link here:
https://wiki.octave.org/Plot_comparison

If we make the next run with ML, we also need to copy the helper
functions at the end of the generated script (sombrero, rgbplot and so
on) after splitting in two parts.

-- Andy

Re: Hosting plot demos

Rik-4
I've seen traffic back and forth today on this issue.  When it is settled,
could you send an e-mail to the Maintainer's list about the final location
we all should be using?

--Rik