How do I UNsuppress output on the terminal?

How do I UNsuppress output on the terminal?

Gary Schafer
I'm running Gnu Octave 6.1.0 on Windows 10. I'm trying to parse out a data file. When I attempted to see if some of the data was ASCII, I put it into a "char" statement. After that, all of the output on the terminal is suppressed. However, I need that output. Is there something I did with the "char" command that may have suppressed the output? It's quite possible that any of the possible ASCII values, from 0 - 255, when into that statement. I've tried re-entering the command (hoping it would toggle the terminal output back on), but it didn't work.

Thanks,

Gary

Re: How do I UNsuppress output on the terminal?

mmuetzel
Am 22. Februar 2021 um 19:54 Uhr schrieb "Gary Schafer":
> I'm running Gnu Octave 6.1.0 on Windows 10. I'm trying to parse out a data file. When I attempted to see if some of the data was ASCII, I put it into a "char" statement. After that, all of the output on the terminal is suppressed. However, I need that output. Is there something I did with the "char" command that may have suppressed the output? It's quite possible that any of the possible ASCII values, from 0 - 255, when into that statement. I've tried re-entering the command (hoping it would toggle the terminal output back on), but it didn't work.

That sounds to me like you are hit by one of the following bugs:

Unfortunately, there is not much you can do to restore the command window (besides restarting Octave) because the conhost process which is used for the command window on Windows has crashed.
I'm hoping that this will no longer be an issue if or when the command window widget has been replaced with a cross-platform implementation. See:
https://octave.discourse.group/t/new-command-window-widget/501/17

If I understood correctly, jwe already did some preparatory changes for this on the development branch. So maybe it could be ready for Octave 7.

For the moment, try to avoid entering non-ASCII characters in the command window on Windows (running a script containing valid(!) non-ASCII characters seems to be fine afaict).

Another workaround might be to only use the bytes of your byte stream that might actually be ASCII text:
A;  % a variable containing a byte stream
char(A(A>31 & A < 128))

Hope this is still helpful
Markus

Re: How do I UNsuppress output on the terminal?

Gary Schafer
Thanks, Markus. That answers my question!

Gary