How to Disable Line Editing in the GUI

Alan Feuerbacher
Hi,

I'm new to this list but have used Octave off and on for 12 years.
Mostly this has been on Linux, but at present I'm using a Windows 10
installation.

I've recently been using the GUI to edit and run programs. I find the
way the line editing and syntax/variable checking is done in the editor
is intrusive and annoying, since it so often does what I do not want it
to do. Is this a readline function?

I've been trying to find a way to disable this behavior, but with no
success.

I thought that adding "--no-line-editing" to the command line would do
the trick, but Windows 10 does not run the program.

Any helpful hints?

Alan

Re: How to Disable Line Editing in the GUI

Doug Stewart-4

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 8:42 PM Alan Feuerbacher <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to this list but have used Octave off and on for 12 years.
Mostly this has been on Linux, but at present I'm using a Windows 10
installation.

I've recently been using the GUI to edit and run programs. I find the
way the line editing and syntax/variable checking is done in the editor
is intrusive and annoying, since it so often does what I do not want it
to do. Is this a readline function?

I've been trying to find a way to disable this behavior, but with no
success.

I thought that adding "--no-line-editing" to the command line would do
the trick, but Windows 10 does not run the program.

Any helpful hints?

Alan

What do you mean by "line editing"?

--
DASCertificate for 206392

Re: How to Disable Line Editing in the GUI

Torsten Lilge
On Mon, 2020-06-08 at 18:42 -0600, Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
> I've recently been using the GUI to edit and run programs. I find the
> way the line editing and syntax/variable checking is done in the
> editor
> is intrusive and annoying, since it so often does what I do not want
> it
> to do. Is this a readline function?

The editor has auto completion, auto indentation, and auto closing (if,
for structures etc.). If you mean one of these features, you can disable
them in the "Editor" pane in the preferences.

Torsten