How to contribute a new package to Octave Forge

How to contribute a new package to Octave Forge

Reinhard
Dear Octave Forge developers,

I would like to contribute a new package to Octave Forge. It contains
several utility functions related to process creation, parallel
execution of functions, design of experiment, plotting, interpolation,
command line parsing and others. It is the first, but not the only
package, I want to contribute. I want to make this package an external
package.

So far, I have created a local Git repository, used the template
Makefile, run the test for uniqueness of function names, generated a
release tarball and the md5 checksum below:

b8c297dc1bbb34dbcb7b220bc0a65175  target/mboct-octave-pkg-0.1.0.tar.gz
8dd5c7b898597451a4fcc849b4c3eff3  target/mboct-octave-pkg-html.tar.gz

Furthermore, I have created an account at sourceforge.net. But I was
not able to upload anything at https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/package
-releases/new.
The error message was: "Sorry, the permissions for this page don't
allow you to access it."

Best regards,
Reinhard

Re: How to contribute a new package to Octave Forge

Olaf Till-2
On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 08:26:55PM +0100, Reinhard wrote:
> I would like to contribute a new package to Octave Forge. It contains
> several utility functions related to process creation, parallel
> execution of functions, design of experiment, plotting, interpolation,
> command line parsing and others. It is the first, but not the only
> package, I want to contribute. I want to make this package an external
> package.

Personally I'm sceptical because your package seems to be too
heterogeneous. It sounds as if the components should rather be
contributed to existing packages or Octave core, if they are
fitting. Even if you intend the package to be external.

But if you have a different opinion and want to convince the octave
forge maintainers of it, maybe you should make your code accessible
and give a more detailed description.

Olaf

Re: How to contribute a new package to Octave Forge

Mike Miller-4
On Fri, Mar 06, 2020 at 17:42:06 +0100, Olaf Till wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 08:26:55PM +0100, Reinhard wrote:
> > I would like to contribute a new package to Octave Forge. It contains
> > several utility functions related to process creation, parallel
> > execution of functions, design of experiment, plotting, interpolation,
> > command line parsing and others. It is the first, but not the only
> > package, I want to contribute. I want to make this package an external
> > package.
>
> Personally I'm sceptical because your package seems to be too
> heterogeneous. It sounds as if the components should rather be
> contributed to existing packages or Octave core, if they are
> fitting. Even if you intend the package to be external.
>
> But if you have a different opinion and want to convince the octave
> forge maintainers of it, maybe you should make your code accessible
> and give a more detailed description.
I am personally in favor of a more distributed approach to adding
packages to Octave, and someone who has contributed both to packages in
Octave Forge and completely external to it. Please keep in mind that an
external package doesn't have to be part of Octave Forge at all.

This proposed package sounds like a "general utility" package, which is
a perfectly good idea and may be useful, but I agree with Olaf probably
isn't suited for Octave Forge, at least not initially until it's maybe
refined more to have a well defined purpose.

As a comparison, I maintain my own package of general utility functions
called "octave-goodies", but I don't intend to have it included in
Octave Forge. If someone wants to use my 'basename' or 'grep' functions,
they can install it easily enough from my repository.

I also maintain the Pythonic package, which does have a very specific
purpose, and may be listed on Octave Forge in the future, but for now I
am happy maintaining it completely outside of the Forge.

I have other ideas for more specific packages, such as Linux resource
limit functions, D-Bus functions, and if those are developed to be
specific enough and suited for general use, I may propose them for
inclusion in Octave Forge someday.

Cheers,

On Fri, 2020-03-06 at 17:42 +0100, Olaf Till wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 08:26:55PM +0100, Reinhard wrote:
> > I would like to contribute a new package to Octave Forge. It
> > contains
> > several utility functions related to process creation, parallel
> > execution of functions, design of experiment, plotting,
> > interpolation,
> > command line parsing and others. It is the first, but not the only
> > package, I want to contribute. I want to make this package an
> > external
> > package.
>
> Personally I'm sceptical because your package seems to be too
> heterogeneous. It sounds as if the components should rather be
> contributed to existing packages or Octave core, if they are
> fitting. Even if you intend the package to be external.
>
> But if you have a different opinion and want to convince the octave
> forge maintainers of it, maybe you should make your code accessible
> and give a more detailed description.
>
> Olaf

Dear Mr. Olaf Till,

I have uploaded the package to Github, so you can check it.
https://github.com/octave-user/mboct-octave-pkg.git

Although this package may be used standalone, it provides common
functions needed by other packages. Those I want to contribute step by
step. The main purpose of those packages is, to provide tools for pre-
and post-processing of general flexible bodies in MBDyn (www.mbdyn.org)
. There is a lot of functionality in those packages. For that reason, I
have decided to split the code into several packages.

Best regards,
Reinhard