How to contribute a new package to Octave Forge

How to contribute a new package to Octave Forge

Reinhard
Dear Octave Forge developers,

I would like to contribute a new package to Octave Forge. It contains
several utility functions related to process creation, parallel
execution of functions, design of experiment, plotting, interpolation,
command line parsing and others. It is the first, but not the only
package, I want to contribute. I want to make this package an external
package.

So far, I have created a local Git repository, used the template
Makefile, run the test for uniqueness of function names, generated a
release tarball and the md5 checksum below:

b8c297dc1bbb34dbcb7b220bc0a65175  target/mboct-octave-pkg-0.1.0.tar.gz
8dd5c7b898597451a4fcc849b4c3eff3  target/mboct-octave-pkg-html.tar.gz

Furthermore, I have created an account at sourceforge.net. But I was
not able to upload anything at https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/package
-releases/new.
The error message was: "Sorry, the permissions for this page don't
allow you to access it."

Best regards,
Reinhard

Is any of this functionality provide compatible functionality to any of the existing Matlab functions or toolboxes?  Do you have a function list?

On Fri, 2020-03-06 at 12:45 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

> > I would like to contribute a new package to Octave Forge. It
> > contains
> > several utility functions related to process creation, parallel
> > execution of functions, design of experiment, plotting,
> > interpolation,
> > command line parsing and others. It is the first, but not the only
> > package, I want to contribute. I want to make this package an
> > external
> > package.
> >

> Is any of this functionality provide compatible functionality to any
> of the existing Matlab functions or toolboxes?  Do you have a
> function list?

Dear Mr. Nicholas Jankowski,

None of those functions provides Matlab functionality!

You can find the functions included here: https://github.com/octave-use
r/mboct-octave-pkg.git

Best regards,
Reinhard

I see, thank you. do you have a way to make a function reference similar to things here?:  https://octave.sourceforge.io/arduino/overview.html   At the moment I have to jump into the source of each file to see what any of them do.

Re: How to contribute a new package to Octave Forge

nrjank
On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 1:03 PM Reinhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, 2020-03-07 at 11:26 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
Yes, you can generate it with "make html" or you can download it from
here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z6xxcGDUfCdojfKua0Nz_MLn9WUuX5S

but the first case requires me to downolad and compile when I haven't determined yet if it's of use, and the latter (which is probably what I'm looking for) gives me a:

404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

permission error on the google doc?

On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 2:16 PM Reinhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, 2020-03-07 at 13:38 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 1:03 PM Reinhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2020-03-07 at 11:26 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> > Yes, you can generate it with "make html" or you can download it
> > from
> > here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z6xxcGDUfCdojfKua0Nz_MLn9WUuX5S

(please keep the maintainers list copied on emails, and bottom posting is the convention of the octave lists)

that link shows me a file tree, but just in a list view mode that I can't seem to actually do anything with (download individual html files, etc)

On Sat, 2020-03-07 at 14:48 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 2:16 PM Reinhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2020-03-07 at 13:38 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> > it
> > n9WUuX5S
> >

> (please keep the maintainers list copied on emails, and bottom
> posting is the convention of the octave lists)
>
> that link shows me a file tree, but just in a list view mode that I
> can't seem to actually do anything with (download individual html
> files, etc)

Sorry, which browser are you using? If you are using Mozilla Firefox,
there should be a download button at the top left corner of the browser
window. With that button you should be able to download the entire
archive.
I already tried send the archive by mail, but I got an error message
from the mailer demon because of a potential security risk. But I will
try again.

Re: How to contribute a new package to Octave Forge

Reinhard
On Sat, 2020-03-07 at 14:48 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 2:16 PM Reinhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2020-03-07 at 13:38 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> > it
> > n9WUuX5S
> >

> (please keep the maintainers list copied on emails, and bottom
> posting is the convention of the octave lists)
>
> that link shows me a file tree, but just in a list view mode that I
> can't seem to actually do anything with (download individual html
> files, etc)
OK, I'm attaching the tarball by mail.
I hope, that it will not be blocked.

mboct-octave-pkg-html.tar.gz (484K) Download Attachment

Re: How to contribute a new package to Octave Forge

nrjank
I already tried send the archive by mail, but I got an error message
from the mailer demon because of a potential security risk. But I will
try again.

I was using Chrome, but no need. I can wait until Octave package details are worked out.