How to disable pdf generation but keep function help when compiling Octave

How to disable pdf generation but keep function help when compiling Octave

Sebastian Schöps
This post was updated on .
Hi everyone,

the switch "--disable-docs" disable also the functional help within octave, right? Is there an easy way to disable *only* the pdf and html doc generation (i.e? Maybe one could just modify doc/module.mk?

Would it make sense to add another switch?

Bye
Sebastian

Re: How to disable pdf generation but keep function help

Mike Miller-4
On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 10:44:08 -0700, Sebastian Schöps wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> the switch "--disable-docs" disable also the functional help within octave,
> right? Is there an easy way to disable *only* the pdf and html doc
> generation (i.e? Maybe one could just modify doc/module.mk?
>
> Would it make sense to add another switch?

Is the reason missing or broken tools? Or is it the generation of plots
for the docs? Does this apply to building from hg or from a source
tarball (where docs are already built) or both?

Re: How to disable pdf generation but keep function help

bpabbott
Administrator
> On Oct 10, 2015, at 3:26 PM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 10:44:08 -0700, Sebastian Schöps wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> the switch "--disable-docs" disable also the functional help within octave,
>> right? Is there an easy way to disable *only* the pdf and html doc
>> generation (i.e? Maybe one could just modify doc/module.mk?
>>
>> Would it make sense to add another switch?
>
> Is the reason missing or broken tools? Or is it the generation of plots
> for the docs? Does this apply to building from hg or from a source
> tarball (where docs are already built) or both?
>
> --
> mike

Mike, are you indicating that when you build with —disable-docs the command line help is functional for you?

It is not for me. Perhaps it is a Mac only problem?

Ben

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 16:43:23 -0400, Ben Abbott wrote:

> > On Oct 10, 2015, at 3:26 PM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 10:44:08 -0700, Sebastian Schöps wrote:
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> the switch "--disable-docs" disable also the functional help within octave,
> >> right? Is there an easy way to disable *only* the pdf and html doc
> >> generation (i.e? Maybe one could just modify doc/module.mk?
> >>
> >> Would it make sense to add another switch?
> >
> > Is the reason missing or broken tools? Or is it the generation of plots
> > for the docs? Does this apply to building from hg or from a source
> > tarball (where docs are already built) or both?
> >
> > --
> > mike
>
> Mike, are you indicating that when you build with —disable-docs the command line help is functional for you?
>
> It is not for me. Perhaps it is a Mac only problem?
No, same here. I'm wondering the reason for the --disable-docs. Is it
because makeinfo or texi2pdf are broken on Mac? Or is it because of the
non-visible figure printing with OSMesa?

Re: How to disable pdf generation but keep function help

bpabbott
Administrator
> On Oct 10, 2015, at 4:46 PM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 16:43:23 -0400, Ben Abbott wrote:

>>> Is the reason missing or broken tools? Or is it the generation of plots
>>> for the docs? Does this apply to building from hg or from a source
>>> tarball (where docs are already built) or both?
>>>
>>> --
>>> mike
>>
>> Mike, are you indicating that when you build with —disable-docs the command line help is functional for you?
>>
>> It is not for me. Perhaps it is a Mac only problem?
>
> No, same here. I'm wondering the reason for the --disable-docs. Is it
> because makeinfo or texi2pdf are broken on Mac? Or is it because of the
> non-visible figure printing with OSMesa?

This behavior has always been present for me. So it predates osmesa. The versions for makeinfo and texi2pdf are below.

makeinfo --version
texi2any (GNU texinfo) 6.0

$ texi2pdf --version
texi2pdf (GNU Texinfo 6.0) 6363

Ben

Re: How to disable pdf generation but keep function help

vicnorton

On Oct 10, 2015, at 5:01 PM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> his behavior has always been present for me. So it predates osmesa. The versions for makeinfo and texi2pdf are below.
>
> makeinfo --version
> texi2any (GNU texinfo) 6.0
>
> $ texi2pdf --version
> texi2pdf (GNU Texinfo 6.0) 6363
>
> Ben

Hi Ben,

I get
~$ makeinfo --version
makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 5.2

~$ texi2pdf --version
texi2pdf (GNU Texinfo 5.2) 5381

Should I be worried?

Regards,

Vic

Re: How to disable pdf generation but keep function help

bpabbott
Administrator
> On Oct 10, 2015, at 7:34 PM, Vic Norton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Oct 10, 2015, at 5:01 PM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> his behavior has always been present for me. So it predates osmesa. The versions for makeinfo and texi2pdf are below.
>>
>> makeinfo --version
>> texi2any (GNU texinfo) 6.0
>>
>> $ texi2pdf --version
>> texi2pdf (GNU Texinfo 6.0) 6363
>>
>> Ben
>
> Hi Ben,
>
> I get
> ~$ makeinfo --version
> makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 5.2
>
> ~$ texi2pdf --version
> texi2pdf (GNU Texinfo 5.2) 5381
>
> Should I be worried?
>
> Regards,
>
> Vic

As far as I know, —disable-docs disables the command line help.

I don’t think it has anything to do with the version of makeinfo or texi2pdf, but if I’m wrong I’m interested in trying to isolate the problem and fix it.

Ben

Re: How to disable pdf generation but keep function help

Sebastian Schöps
Mike Miller-4 wrote
No, same here. I'm wondering the reason for the --disable-docs. Is it
because makeinfo or texi2pdf are broken on Mac? Or is it because of the
non-visible figure printing with OSMesa?
Yes, the reason is that I cannot produce figures due to osmesa. However the figures are only needed for the pdf (or html) docs. Those files can be rather easily accessed from the internet and thus I am not very concerned for now. Nonetheless, the functional help would be nice to have.

My idea was to disable only the specific pdf/html build targets but it would be rather tedious for me to go to all details of doc/module.mk. It would be great if someone could give me a hint. I could also try to create a new configure switch "--disable-manual" or something similar....

Sebastian

P.S.: I do not think that it matters but I use texinfo 6.0.

On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 00:35:28 -0700, Sebastian Schöps wrote:
> Yes, the reason is that I cannot produce figures due to osmesa. However the
> figures are only needed for the pdf (or html) docs. Those files can be
> rather easily accessed from the internet and thus I am not very concerned
> for now. Nonetheless, the functional help would be nice to have.

Right, that's what I thought. I think Ben has worked around that by
editing the doc/interpreter/*.m files to set the toolkit to gnuplot. You
might also try editing those scripts to get rid of the visible=false
property (the figures will come up on screen while building, but not use
osmesa).

There was some discussion in another thread about whether the plot
figure scripts should enforce only building one way, for quality and
consistency, or fall back to gnuplot allow more users to build the
manual. Or whether to skip building the figures automatically. No
consensus or movement on that yet. But I would like to help resolve it.

> My idea was to disable only the specific pdf/html build targets but it would
> be rather tedious for me to go to all details of doc/module.mk. It would be
> great if someone could give me a hint. I could also try to create a new
> configure switch "--disable-manual" or something similar....

Does "make all DOC_TARGETS=" work? That should clear the list of doc
files that "make all" wants to build.

If osmesa is the problem, then building from a source tarball shouldn't
need --disable-docs because the images are already built and included.
For example, the octave-4.0.0 tarball from ftp.gnu.org [1], or the
continuously built source snapshots on hydra.nixos.org [2].

You could also grab the 108 figures from one of those tarballs and drop
them into your build tree (27 of each file format: eps, pdf, png, txt).

Sorry if I'm being pedantic, but I want to make sure it's the images
that are the problem, not building the manual, which is what it sounds
like. So I don't think a --disable-manual option is the right way to go.

[1]: ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/octave-4.0.0.tar.xz
[2]: http://hydra.nixos.org/job/gnu/octave-default/tarball/latest/download

Re: How to disable pdf generation but keep function help

Sebastian Schöps
>> My idea was to disable only the specific pdf/html build targets but it would
>> be rather tedious for me to go to all details of doc/module.mk. It would be
>> great if someone could give me a hint. I could also try to create a new
>> configure switch "--disable-manual" or something similar....
>Does "make all DOC_TARGETS=" work? That should clear the list of doc
>files that "make all" wants to build.

Yes, more or less :) I get still console output like

error: __osmesa_print__: support for offscreen rendering was disabled when Octave was built
error: called from
    __opengl_print__ at line 172 column 7
    print at line 431 column 14
    plotimages at line 60 column 5
error: unhandled execution exception -- eval failed
  GEN      doc/interpreter/extended.png
warning: print.m: fig2dev binary is not available.
Some output formats are not available.
warning: called from
    __print_parse_opts__ at line 385 column 9
    print at line 288 column 8
    plotimages at line 64 column 5
warning: print.m: fig2dev binary is not available.
Some output formats are not available.
warning: called from
    __print_parse_opts__ at line 385 column 9
    print at line 288 column 8
    plotimages at line 75 column 5
error: __osmesa_print__: support for offscreen rendering was disabled when Octave was built

but "make all DOC_TARGETS=; make install DOC_TARGETS=" compiles and install everything (including the function help).

I>f osmesa is the problem, then building from a source tarball shouldn't
>need --disable-docs because the images are already built and included.
>For example, the octave-4.0.0 tarball from ftp.gnu.org [1], or the
>continuously built source snapshots on hydra.nixos.org [2].
I am extending the homebrew script to build immediately from hg checkout.

>You could also grab the 108 figures from one of those tarballs and drop
>them into your build tree (27 of each file format: eps, pdf, png, txt).
Agreed, this would be another proper alternative.

>Sorry if I'm being pedantic, but I want to make sure it's the images
>that are the problem, not building the manual, which is what it sounds
>like. So I don't think a --disable-manual option is the right way to go.
"DOC_TARGETS=" does the job for me so I do not insist on "--disable-manual". Nonetheless I still think that it would be a good idea. There are many reason why someone would not like to build the manual, e.g., if texinfo is installed but not a latex distro...

Bye
Sebastian