I'm no longer working on Octave

I've made my last change to Octave.  Unfortunately, it's not the great
change I was hoping it would be -- you know, the kind of change that
would get me inducted into the Hacker Hall of Fame.  Instead, it's
just a stupid little change, and I did it in kind of a crummy way.  I
reversed the terminal colors in the new GUI so that the text is black
and the background is white on Windows systems.  I know, fantastic new
feature, right?

I hate to leave things like that, but after pouring my heart and soul
into the project for more than 21 years, I've had all I can take.  As
I was checking in that last change it really struck me how pointless
it all is.  I mean, who really cares what the terminal window colors
are?  And why am I wasting what precious little time I have here on
Earth changing them around?  It all really began to feel unimaginably
silly.  And then I suddenly came to the complete and utter realization
that I truly have no more patience for another bug report about how
"sin(pi) is not exactly zero", or some other armchair quarterback over
in the peanut gallery calling me and other hard working Octave
developers names like "kindergartners" because we sometimes make
mistakes.  All I can say is, "is anyone perfect?"

As far as I can tell, all anyone really wants from the Octave project
is an exact clone of Matlab with a price tag of zero.  We've tried for
more than 20 years to explain the importance of software freedom, but
no matter what we do or say, people are still squarely focused on
Octave's missing features and the relative pricing structures.  It's
crystal clear to me now that freedom doesn't matter one iota, and a
price of $0 is not low enough if there is even ONE bug or missing
feature.  So I say screw it, this whole software freedom thing is just
an aging hippy fantasy anyway.  I honestly do not know what those
people are smoking.

For those of you who will, no doubt, continue to work on Octave
anyway, there's probably nothing I can do to dissuade you from your
folly.  So I suppose I might as well wish you the best of luck.  But I
beg of you, please don't contact me asking for help.  I really want to
put this 20+ year long nightmare behind me as quickly as possible.  To
that end, I've written up some quick notes about what I'm thinking of
doing next.  If you are at all interested, you can read them here:

  http://jweaton.org/future-plans--is-there-any-other-kind.html

Re: I'm no longer working on Octave

lascott
Best wishes to you wherever life's turns may lead.

Somewhere in the space, somebody is coding up safer drug protocols, improving crop yields or creating a new and better on a shoestring budget with Octave.  It may feel at times that you are laying bricks, if you could see it all at once, it would be closer to a cathedral.

Yours faithfully,
Louis

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 8:00 AM, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

pathematica
This post was updated on .
Awesome season's greetings, as perfect as everything else that you and your colleagues do.

Hacker hall of fame? Typical open source self deprecation. You will likely be remembered as some sort of coding saint.

There is not one day that goes by when I don't reflect on Octave (and other open source tools) and feel privileged that the enthusiasm and dedication of ageing hippies that are slightly older than me and the cool dudes who are way younger than me have created this amazing tool. I agree with you that it is not a Matlab clone. As others on this forum (and elsewhere) note, it is better than the commercial offering.

I know that you did not make that post to phish for compliments and gratitude but you deserve both and you will get both in spades. Put that in your spam filter and smoke it :-)

[Note to the person who vets the posts; please feel free to delay posting this until after the witching hour of 12:00 in your local time (I am several hours ahead of you in the UK)]
However good you think Octave is, it's much, much better.

Re: I'm no longer working on Octave

rICHARD-2
;-0

Thanks for all that Octave can do. There is a
special appreciation in not having to sign up to
an EULA just to share in the work others, including
yourself, have done.

Re: I'm no longer working on Octave

Alex Khazin

I wish to say something  very meaningfull, but unfotrtunatly I'm not a good speaker. So I just say thank you for dedicated 20 years.
Freedom is not a software, it's just freedom

On Apr 1, 2013 10:01 AM, "John W. Eaton" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Júlio Hoffimann
2013/4/1 Alex Khazin <[hidden email]>

I wish to say something  very meaningfull, but unfotrtunatly I'm not a good speaker. So I just say thank you for dedicated 20 years.
Freedom is not a software, it's just freedom

Alex,

I think it was just a very scary prank (1st April). :D

John, very good!

Best,
Júlio.

Re: I'm no longer working on Octave

Michael Godfrey
John,

And, I wasted all that time and money apologizing to Cleve and renewing
my Matlab license before I realized it is April 1.  If I ask them very
nicely,
and mention your name, do you think they will give me my money back?

Michael

Re: I'm no longer working on Octave

Torsten
On 01.04.2013 15:06, Júlio Hoffimann wrote:

> 2013/4/1 Alex Khazin <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     I wish to say something  very meaningfull, but unfotrtunatly I'm not
>     a good speaker. So I just say thank you for dedicated 20 years.
>     Freedom is not a software, it's just freedom
>

> Alex,
>
> I think it was just a very scary prank (1st April). :D

"scary" is the right expression

> John, very good!

Yes, indeed!

Torsten

Re: I'm no longer working on Octave

John Swensen-3
On Apr 1, 2013, at 3:00 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> I've made my last change to Octave.  Unfortunately, it's not the great
> change I was hoping it would be -- you know, the kind of change that
> would get me inducted into the Hacker Hall of Fame.  Instead, it's
> just a stupid little change, and I did it in kind of a crummy way.  I
> reversed the terminal colors in the new GUI so that the text is black
> and the background is white on Windows systems.  I know, fantastic new
> feature, right?
>
> I hate to leave things like that, but after pouring my heart and soul
> into the project for more than 21 years, I've had all I can take.  As
> I was checking in that last change it really struck me how pointless
> it all is.  I mean, who really cares what the terminal window colors
> are?  And why am I wasting what precious little time I have here on
> Earth changing them around?  It all really began to feel unimaginably
> silly.  And then I suddenly came to the complete and utter realization
> that I truly have no more patience for another bug report about how
> "sin(pi) is not exactly zero", or some other armchair quarterback over
> in the peanut gallery calling me and other hard working Octave
> developers names like "kindergartners" because we sometimes make
> mistakes.  All I can say is, "is anyone perfect?"
>
> As far as I can tell, all anyone really wants from the Octave project
> is an exact clone of Matlab with a price tag of zero.  We've tried for
> more than 20 years to explain the importance of software freedom, but
> no matter what we do or say, people are still squarely focused on
> Octave's missing features and the relative pricing structures.  It's
> crystal clear to me now that freedom doesn't matter one iota, and a
> price of $0 is not low enough if there is even ONE bug or missing
> feature.  So I say screw it, this whole software freedom thing is just
> an aging hippy fantasy anyway.  I honestly do not know what those
> people are smoking.
>
> For those of you who will, no doubt, continue to work on Octave
> anyway, there's probably nothing I can do to dissuade you from your
> folly.  So I suppose I might as well wish you the best of luck.  But I
> beg of you, please don't contact me asking for help.  I really want to
> put this 20+ year long nightmare behind me as quickly as possible.  To
> that end, I've written up some quick notes about what I'm thinking of
> doing next.  If you are at all interested, you can read them here:
>
>  http://jweaton.org/future-plans--is-there-any-other-kind.html
>
> jwe

Behind every lie, there is usually a nugget of truth. Let's be honest, making seemingly insignificant GUI changes really does seem like a waste of time ;)

John Swensen

Re: I'm no longer working on Octave

Terry Duell
On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 18:00:14 +1100, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've made my last change to Octave.  Unfortunately, it's not the great
> change I was hoping it would be -- you know, the kind of change that
> would get me inducted into the Hacker Hall of Fame.

[snip]

Well I'll have to admit that this post really gave me quite a jolt.
It was hard to believe...and even harder when I realised it was April
Fool's Day.
A well thought out and executed yarn. Well done.

Cheers,
Terry Duell

Re: I'm no longer working on Octave

Paryshaan
Hello John
I'm from Iran
It is not in my afford to buy a MATLAB license but I used it for about 5 years in university.

from about 8 years ago up to now, when i want to go to the MATLAB 's website from within Iran, it says:

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.mathworks.com/" on this server.
Reference #18.5560434d.1365280485.c499ebe

I don't know why they banned me to buy their software or use at least their website, but there are many other websites which put last version of MATLAB and its licenses for download and illegal use which is not illegal in Iran.

It's about 1.5 year I'm working on a project and I chose octave for this purpose. I faced lots of bugs and lack of abilities in OCTAVE compared with MATLAB. but ...
I should say I really loved MATLAB but I don't know what to say about OCTAVE.
This is a way for me to be honest in this world!
Many thanks to your God for giving me this chance.
Paryshaan

Re: I'm no longer working on Octave

am304
Paryshaan wrote
[...]

I think this is because Iran is an ITAR-restricted country and MathWorks, being an American company, is forbidden by the US government to do any trade with Iran, as the software can potentially be used for military purposes.

Arnaud

Re: I'm no longer working on Octave

bpabbott
Administrator
On Apr 17, 2013, at 5:27 AM, am304 <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

There are broader sanctions as well.

Ben

Re: I'm no longer working on Octave

Galleguindio Ramirez
Escribo sabiendo que apenas entenderá aquello que escribo aquí.
Tal vez ni siquiera le importe.
Hace 19 años uso software libre y en esos 19 años he usado Octave
algunas veces . En la cátedra de la UNR de lógica se usa su software y
se lo respeta como un bastión inmejorable.
Tal vez sea posible que Ud. no lo entienda del todo, pero los usuarios
satisfechos hablamos poco. Trabajamos en el silencio.
Un abrazo y suerte para todos sus proyectos

Re: I'm no longer working on Octave

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
English translation follows....

2013/4/24 Galleguindio Ramirez <[hidden email]>:
> Escribo sabiendo que apenas entenderá aquello que escribo aquí.
> Tal vez ni siquiera le importe.
> Hace 19 años uso software libre y en esos 19 años he usado Octave
> algunas veces . En la cátedra de la UNR de lógica se usa su software y
> se lo respeta como un bastión inmejorable.
> Tal vez sea posible que Ud. no lo entienda del todo, pero los usuarios
> satisfechos hablamos poco. Trabajamos en el silencio.
> Un abrazo y suerte para todos sus proyectos

I write this knowing that perhaps you won't understand what I write
here. You might not even care.

I have been using free software for 19 years, and in that time, I have
used Octave a few times. In the logic class in UNR [Universidad
Nacional del Rosario, in Argentina, I am guessing], we use this
software, and we respect it like an insurpassable bastion.

Maybe you don't understand everything, but we satisfied users seldom
speak out. We work in silence. A warm embrace, and good luck with all
your projects.

Re: I'm no longer working on Octave

rdurkacz
Getting back to the original post from John Eaton (he is the person who created Octave is he not?): John said he was more or less giving up on free software in disgust, but the post was dated 1 April. Was this an April Fool's joke or was the date just an unfortunate coincidence?

Re: I'm no longer working on Octave

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 2:16 AM, Robert Durkacz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Getting back to the original post from John Eaton (he is the person who
> created Octave is he not?): John said he was more or less giving up on free
> software in disgust, but the post was dated 1 April. Was this an April
> Fool's joke or was the date just an unfortunate coincidence?

setting a date for the next major release!